Customer Discussions > credit card forum

Amazon.com Visa Credit Card rip-off!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 418 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2008 3:15:19 PM PST
LjKevin510 says:
I loved my Amazon Credit Card for the several years that I've had it because I would earn points from all the thousands and thousands of dollars I spend here, but the APR% was so high (for no reason) and they would not lower it to a significant amount that I'm forced to use other credit cards instead. I have a current credit score of 729, which is really good especially with today's economy, but they gave me a APR% for purchases at 27.99% which is outrageous! So, eventually after putting up with it for so long, I decided to call and see what they could do for a "valued customer," but they told me they could only lower it to 25.99% and then maybe in June of next year (over 6 months away) they might be able to lower it a little more. It is the highest interest rate on any of my credit cards! So is the $25 gift certificate I get every couple months worth the $75 finance charge I get every month? I don't think so... Now I'm forced to do a large transfer balance to a lower percentage rate credit card when all they had to do was give me a competitive rate. ...c'mon, 25.99% is the best they could give me? Yeah right! My love for Amazon is fading away quickly with their credit card "policies." What is my point? There is no point to get an Amazon Credit Card for the reward points because you'll end up spending way more on the APR% rate than you'll ever get in "rewards."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2010 10:38:26 PM PST
The solution is to pay it off every month. All of the benefits, none of the negatives.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 3:21:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2010 3:21:52 PM PST
ILdylan says:
^haha^

Then how would the credit card companies make any money? Another case of spending outside of one's means.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2010 11:17:11 AM PST
Micky Mouse says:
Maybe the point is that you shouldn't spend money for things you can't afford to pay off each month. If you can't pay it in full by the end of the month, you're living beyond your means.....period.....and yes, I know it's none of my business, but you are the one making a big deal of the "rip-off".

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 2:36:33 PM PST
In addition to exorbitant interest rates, they have a pretty tricky fee structure. It includes sending late ebills (after the due date) and adding a late fee ($28.00). Of course I was told by their customer service they could be of no help and that there was no one available to discuss this with other than supervisors. So I guess Chase is run by supervisors. No wonder their customer service is so bad.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:36:19 PM PST
LjKevin510 says:
You people totally missed the point!

I was criticizing their business practices and how they pretend you're getting a good deal with rewards points, but then they have huge interest rates that are NOT competitive in regards to my high credit score. And not only that, but they were unwilling to lower them after I was a faithful customer for years. And this is after they repeatedly call me a "valued customer." That's what I was trying to get across in my post and the point was to hopefully get their attention and resolve the matter no matter how unlikely that was (I knew it was unlikely, but possible).

And guess what. I have a high credit score because I am good with my money. I have no credit card debt at all at this moment; however, it is convenient to pay for things that you need right away with a credit card and pay it off a little later. If you have a problem with that then that's fine, but don't post your personal opinion on general finances! And don't talk about your willingness to accept unfair offers from companies because you for some reason feel that it is a perfectly respectable or perhaps only way for them to make money. That's not what my original post was about!

That post was meant as a complaint against them, meaning: "why should I give them my business if they are NOT offering a fair deal," which everyone should agree with and demand from companies. What I hoped for was a possible yet knowingly improbable resolution, not to argue about or philosophize on how to spend money.

One of the many reasons why our economy is doing so poorly today is because of your willingness to accept unfair business practices from huge billion dollar corporations.
I guess you think it's easier to critique my personal finance management even though you have no real insight on the matter.

I've never posted a message like this before mostly for the reason that I don't think there is a point to discuss anything with the ignorant majority on the internet, but I was hoping that by posting a complaint then maybe, if there was still some good customer service left in the world, a representative of Amazon/Chase would realize that if I truly am a "valued customer" then they should give me a more competitive rate or lose my business. And why not? I have seen this in the past where customers bought something and complained about it and a representative contacts them through their post and resolves the matter.

I guess, however, since they can rely on the blind obedience of the masses of thoughtless drones that inhabit this world made apparent from the majority of the replies to my post, they do not really need my business and therefore I am not a valued customer and thus obfuscate, inveigle, and deceive in order to make money. And you defend them and/or criticize me?
This is neither about me in general nor my personal finances. It's about a customer who would be reluctant yet willing to do some part in perpetuating the system and help the economy I might add by giving them my business if they gave me something at least a little worthy of my time and money. My insult was to this company that could VERY SIMPLY give me a competitive rate. I am not asking for too much! And for those who think I am: you probably can't comprehend the meaning of this post and therefore there is no need to add a personal insult to you at this time.

I'm sure that this re-post will more than likely merely anger those who read it instead of making them actually re-evaluate the situation which is what it should do, but then again we live in a stubborn society where not only will someone most likely not admit when they are wrong, but are so self centered that even the possibility of them being wrong escapes their meaningless existence altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 3:00:29 PM PST
RogerThat says:
My Rewards card has a rate of 12%... still higher than any other card I have, but no where near the 27% you quote. Pay it off every month, collect the rewards and use "their money" free for 30days. simple as that.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 8:00:29 PM PST
R. B. Clark says:
There is another discussion/post titled "Amazon Chase Visa credit card" that should really be added to this discussion as it is the same type of complaints - take a look

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 8:17:47 AM PST
Hey LKevin311, I totally agree with you!!!!

Posted on Feb 7, 2010 12:16:27 PM PST
Ryan says:
And that is why I set Auto-Payments to pay off my entire balance on every credit card I own. No fees, just rewards.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 4:39:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 4:42:17 PM PST
Ira Tweed says:
pay off your balance and waala no interest worries. I think you missed the point of your own rant. No one cares what you credit score is in the credit card industry. Stop worrying about everyone else and the masses. Grow up. The credit card companies aren't looking to do you any favors. Read the fine print, use that info. and spend within your means.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 5:20:42 PM PST
Kevin,
not a chance your point will be heard or understood correctly, common sense is not common anymore.
I surrendered years ago, it sems that pretty much endorsing bad practice is safe..no thinking, no pondering, no sweat - and who cares about those trapped into the cycle just because they are naive, which is evidently an unforgivable sin!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 10:46:00 AM PST
That is the only thing that you can do to take advantage of the benefits and not be nailed for interest rates.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 11:26:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2010 11:28:35 AM PST
Emi says:
They do it cause THEY CAN! and Get away with it too! Like the gov, they MAKE you dependant upon them (taking all jobs outside of usa) and then they can't HELP you! While we are sending billions of dollars to help Haiti (I also contribute!) what happened to helping Americans? What about the families living in the streets because their home was taken from them? Are you going to say like the ones below "they shouldn't have purchased a home they couldn't afford?" How about Katrina Vics? "They shouldn't have moved to New Orleans?" Lose your job and see how easy it is to pay your bills entirely each month! THINGS HAPPEN! Screwing your fellow American Citizen seems to have taken on a spirited competition... "Let's see just how much we can get out of loaning someone some money for 30 days" ... Pawn shops r beginning to look a little better!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 2:15:24 PM PST
I agree, they raised mine to that percentage too with about the same credit score.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 4:11:20 PM PST
LaShondia says:
You are absolutely correct. It's a rip-off and they know it.

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 11:28:06 AM PST
A. Flanders says:
It's a rip-off. The same rates were done to me - it's insulting. Come on Amazon - you're not fooling anybody - least of all your customers. You should be careful of who you do business with and keep a good eye on them. People will associate this with your brand as well as Chase (let's face it they're sharks) and right now you couldn't do any more damage to a rep like Chase then what they've done themselves over the last few years. The only one left that loses is Amazon - you lie down with dogs...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 12:12:27 PM PST
Mrs T says:
Amen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 12:39:07 PM PST
Credit card companies make very good money from merchants as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 4:31:14 PM PST
Why don't you pay your balance each month and avoid the finace charges. Your spending more than you can afford to pay. Wake up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2010 12:26:47 PM PST
D. Jacobsen says:
I just closed my account for the same reason. I had a balance of $3.95 last month. Never got the e-bill. Just got a new e-bill where they charged me a $29.00 late fee for not paying what they never sent. In all the time I have had the card, I have NEVER been late. I get the notice, I pay the bill. Simple as that. So I contacted Chase customer service and was told: "Unfortunately, there is no longer anything they can do about it." said the customer service rep. So am closing the account and tossing the card. I mean a $29 late fee for a $3.96 overdue balance; that is ridiculous!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 5:36:09 AM PST
I just paid off my Amazon Credit Card (from Chase) and cancelled it. I've had it for a long time and it was very convenient. I used it recently to take advantage of their zero-interest until mm/dd/yyyy offers. I forgot that I had the account set to auto-pay so after posting my payment of $350 on 02/05 their system kicked off a balance-in-full payment that was tied to an old-now-closed bank account. So the auto-pay transaction 'bounced' and I got a $39 returned payment FEE. And now that blew off the zero-percent game that I actually wanted to keep. The Chase 'customer-service' people would not do anything to help me rectify this situation so I cancelled the card and took it off my payments options at Amazon. So screw Chase and the Amazon Card. All those companies are setup to make you fail, give you no options, keep your fees, and charge you an outrageous interest reate. I have a dozen other credit cards. I'll use them instead. And Chase - they'll never see another new account from me - EVER.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 7:55:23 AM PST
I have an Amazon Rewards card and my APR is 12% - are you sure yours is 27.99%? That just doesn't make sense if you have a good credit rating.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 6:01:51 AM PST
Issy98 says:
Obviously, those with the advice to lecture people about their credit cards have not read the new 'rules' and new hidden fees to make up for the new rules losses. Before some of you lecture someone, perhaps you should be informed. Kevin, you might take a look at them also. I don't think they are now allowed to charge exorbitant fees without an few days extended wait period.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 11:24:37 AM PST
DVD Friend says:
Who told you 729 is really good? You must have been late on payments to get that 27.99% rate, and what has the economy got to do with how you handle your finances. Oh, maybe your one of those who screwed it up.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  credit card forum
Participants:  284
Total posts:  418
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions