Customer Discussions > Cyberpunk forum

Cyberpunk meets police state?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2008 12:32:50 AM PDT
L. Kuhne says:
I am looking for a story in a cyberpunk setting, something of the likes of The Sprawl. I don't have any specific book in mind, just looking for a story that deals with the oppresion of government, etc. (kind of like a '1984' type police state, but within a cyberpunk world) I'd like the story to focus more on fighting for freedom.
I've searched pretty thoroughly and I can't find much, so I decided to turn to the readers, to see if any of you have come across anything like that.
Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2008 7:37:54 PM PDT
We just publsihed a new book by the cyberpunk writer, James R. Strickland.

The premise of the book is that INTERPOL is trying to catch a hacking ring and so they download an agent's personality into the mind of a teenage hacker. OF course, in the style of cyberpunk thrillers, nothing is as it seems. The idea of having the police in your head, watching what you do from the inside, is a bit of a scary thought, but should brainjacking ever become popular, perhaps it is not so far fetched. Google already reads your email and surfing choices and stores them forever as your cyberspace fingerprint.

I would also recommend Looking Glass, Strickland's first novel. Not quite a police state, it is more of a corporate police state. The head of an IT security team for a very large global-market corporation finds that she is the victim of a hacking attack insider her brain, and when she tries to catch the killer, the corporation pulls her online privileges and covers up the hideous attack that has killed most of her security team.

Strickland's "LookingGlass World" is set in teh not so far future where the U.S> has been fractured into several different countries, each pretty much a dystopia of its own, but the world is really run by corporations who can tend to operate outside the law and treat people like so much proprietary data. I think it fits your definition of a cyberpunk police state.

Here are the links:
By James R. Strickland
Irreconcilable Differences, Irreconcilable Differences
Looking Glass, Looking Glass

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 5:50:24 PM PDT
TheRebis says:
Cyperpunk and the police state? It's happening here and now. Why read about it? Total information awareness and the laws that have been passed (FISA Amendments Act) are creating a police-corporatist state in front of our very eyes. Think John Poindexter and Mitch McConnell are the leaders in the creation of a society that no longer values privacy. Think of the Eschalon program.

If you want to read about cyber punk and the police state there is no better author than William S. Burroughs and his brilliant tetralogy of books- Naked Lunch, Soft Machine, Nova Express and The Ticket that Exploded.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 11:33:38 AM PDT
Frank Creed says:
Orwell is my favorite novelist!
My own Underground series does that, but focuses on anti-fundamentalist repression in a 2036 future that equates belief with terrorism. MegaCorps will enter in War of Attrition, but Flashpoint's only antagonist is the One State.

Faith,
f

Posted on May 11, 2009 11:07:35 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
"Why read about it [cyberpunk/police state] we're living it?") is right. In 1984 I wrote to the local newspaper condemning the ghastly program of organ transplantation and the effects it would have on human society. Things have got worse since then. Electronic intrusion and information storage are areas where little regulation has been practiced. The fear of the future is a world government ruled by an corporate oligarchy, and government just a department in its structure. (There will be no US Bill of Rights in WorldGov, only contracts controlled by the wealthy.

Posted on Aug 9, 2009 3:27:04 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more! Politics in bed w/ the "Corporatocracy" as John Perkins so elequently put it in his book & in Zeitgeist Addendum, Codex Alimentarius, Flouridation of the water supply, Artificial sweeteners, Monsanto, etc.
It's time for the people as a whole to wake the heck up & reject the detrimating elements that the new police state is putting forth via shoving laws backed by brute force down our throats!
Live outside of that system & transcend what is going on while encouraging other to join the movement!

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 3:08:29 AM PDT
WiredKnight says:
If you haven't read Snowcrash yet (I'm thinking you have, since it's such an important novel in the history of cyberpunk, but just in case..) you need to be doing that right now. Though much heavier on the cyberpunk side, there's still plenty of political and social commentary.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2009 5:40:27 AM PST
sentinel says:
Even though it's happening it's still useful to read about it in fiction as it tends to make you notice things you might otherwise fail to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009 10:23:18 AM PST
Paul Bates says:
Imprint, and Dreamer, the first two novels of my trilogy. Imprint establishes the world, Dreamer deals with the revolution. Both are available from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 8:18:17 PM PDT
AfterDeath says:
I think this might appeal to you.
It's largely about freedom of choice and fighting for it.
Bring Me the Head of the Buddha
Your reply to AfterDeath's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:49:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 11:50:50 AM PST
A. van D. says:
Another "cyberpunk meets police state" novel worth reading is Memoria. A Corporation of Lies (An Action-Packed Techno-Thriller) by an Alex Bobl. It's more on the action-adventure side, a fast and very entertaining read, not depressing at all. I personally enjoyed it a lot and would definitely recommend it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cyberpunk forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jul 22, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions