Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Cycling forum

12 inch bike vs 16 inch bike

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 12:32:44 PM PDT
Hi! I am wanting to buy my twins' bikes for Christmas. They'll be 3 1/2 then & they are tall for their age (about 37"). I know the 12 inch bikes work fine for them now, but I'm worried they'll outgrow them too fast. And would 16 inch bikes be too big? This may not be your area of expertise, but I'm open to any advice you may have! Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 12:58:49 PM PDT
lenf says:
Hi Jennifer,

You have to consider that the difference in actual height because of wheel size between 12 and 16 is only 2 inches. While the wheels are, in total, 4" bigger, only half of that counts in height, or distance from hub to ground. The other half is from hub to top of wheel, which doesn't enter into size.

You really just want a size that with the seat in lowest position still allows them to touch the ground on both sides of the bike at that age. Though, actually, as a kid I was stuck with my father's old bike, and I don't think I was able to even sit on the seat for the first few years of riding. Grin. BTW, do be very sure they wear helmets when they ride any size bike.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 1:58:14 PM PDT
Fuerza Regia says:
consider seeking a 14-inch. Although few models available. The bike has to be custom, do not use the same concept that you use to buy shoes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cycling forum (352 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cycling forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions