Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Dance Music forum

It sucks being the only person you know who's into dance music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 316 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2008 8:04:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2008 8:05:23 PM PST
First off I love all kinds of music, but I still haven't met anybody who was into electronic music AT ALL. The majority of them think the techno I listen to is for "gay people" and it sucks cuz I have so many sweet dance tunes I could use for parties (it's kinda funny though because my brother loves Depeche Mode and thinks my dance tunes sound "gay", even though I would argue that Depeche Mode sounds pretty "gay" on it's own (doesn't bother me either way, I like DM)). Anyways I was just wondering if other people get strange looks / negative comments from other people when they are found listening to electronic music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2008 8:15:50 PM PST
Joman1000 says:
This country (America)'s electronic music cherry hasn't quite gotten popped yet... unless you're in Miami, New York, Chicago, or somewhere like that... and even then if you're driving down the street blasting techno in the middle of the day, chances are someone is going to pull up next to you and mock you. It really sucks. I'm from Denver and the underground scene here is actually pretty out of control... all our massives pull in several thousand people, and that's basically every other week; and there's still tons of people out here that harass those of us that realize the sheer emotional and spiritual power of electronic music.

It'll have its day. It won't remain underground forever. Everyone will see it for what it is, and give it the credit it deserves someday.

...P.S. Check me out... tell me what you think.
www.myspace.com/djjoman

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 7:04:17 PM PST
Shawn Maxon says:
My cd collection is filled with many different kinds of music, hiphop, some rock(311), jazz, ect. But out of about 200 cd's and counting, I would say about 75% are dj mixes of various styles. But nobody I know really 'gets it'. Not even my good friends. They refer to everything as techno. Oh well, their loss. They can keep listening to the crap that is played on the radio. I'll happily keep listening to my house music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 11:17:29 AM PST
J. Nofziger says:
Yes - I'm careful to not play CDs if there is a passenger in my car. I listen to mostly instrumental and experimental music, and I am pretty much alone in that. There is some extremely moving music out there that most people would at first listen not at all understand or appreciate. For someone who listens to Sunny 95 FM to hear Analord, it would be shocking and grating. Just like it is for a person who is 35 and only listened to experimental music their whole life to listen to Sunny 95 FM. Waterboarding would be less torture than listening to that all day.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 12:54:17 PM PST
Philip says:
I definitely see where you're all coming from. I've been listening to "techno" since I was a little kid and my interest in it just started to blossom. Since then I've discovered numerous artists, labels, and genres within. It's been exciting and I love the music but hardly anyone around me can groove to it. One of my friends even had the nerve enough to say "techno has no soul," which really upset me, especially coming from a musician. I believe that if electronic music has power enough to grab it's listeners attention and influence them to dance, express, think, smile, etc, it has just as much soul as that rock band singing their lungs out.

I've noticed a heavy trend in much music nowadays: artists are more and more incorporating the use of electronics into their music. Almost every set has a laptop. The younger generation mainstream crowd is slowly catching on to the likes of Aphex Twin and other like artists. Due to this I really see the electronic music scene exploding soon over in the States. It's going to be fun. I'm going to know all the good music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 1:14:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2008 1:16:28 PM PST
R. Barnes says:
I have lived in a number of places (all in the US) in the last 20 years and I have found that not having electronic dance music (edm) loving friends is the norm. When I lived in metro areas that were 2 mill+ (I know, just a hick town compared to NYC), then it is not such a big deal. Generally, they have a thriving electronic dance scene and I can meet dance music friendly people there. Also, even my non-dancing friends in big cities tended to be pretty open minded and I never got picked on for playing the dance music when I had passengers in the car.

Generally, if you want to ease your non edm friends into the happy zone (where steady beats created by synthesizers are OK and not evil) then you have to have a good plan of attack. If I am chilling with people who are down with 70s R&B and funk, then I don't subject them to Tiesto, I put on some deep house and they are happy. When I am hanging with metal loving head banger types, I hide the deep house and break out the Funkstorung or Aphex and they are happy. If I am hanging with someone who likes Britney or Christina, I hide the Funkstorung and instead go for eurobeat. Luckily, I like just about every type of edm I have ever come across, so I can usually find something that makes me happy and the other person happy. If your music collection is less eclectic, then you are in trouble. If you pick just one type of edm, the fact is that a certain amount of the population is just not going to be down with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 1:42:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2008 1:44:14 PM PST
R. Barnes says:
I am not so down with the "someday it will break & go mainstream" sentiment. I remember raves in the US when you paid $2 to get in, danced like a maniac with those 200 people and had a blast. When this small group of people were not dancing, they were discussing Derrick May, Carl Craig, and philosophizing about minimalism in music. They weren't there to drink, use illicit substances, or pick up someone. Five years later, raves cost (in my area) $20 to $60, instead of 200 people attending you had 2000-5000 people attending and 90% of the people were there to socialize, buy, sell, or use illicit substances. So even when techno was bigger than it was now, was the music really that big? I am not so sure about that.

Frankly when techno was much bigger than it is now, I didn't enjoy it as much. I don't want to be surrounded by 2,000 sheep that showed up to a party because it was the thing to do and they wanted to roll on e. Sure, I love a huge crowd, but not if they don't care about techno or dancing.

I think minimalist electronic dance music (jungle, techno, trance, acid house, techno, breaks, dub step, etc.) is an acquired taste. Most people do (and will continue to) want traditional verse/chorus/verse song structure. That being said, there are a couple of types of edm that have the potential to go mainstream in the US. Those 2 being eurobeat (think Cascada) and deep house (think MAW or Defected records). However, I am cool with them being underground for now. Even though I can't hear them on the local radio station, I can still listen to them. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-pop music, I am anti-bad music. If some genres of edm can go pop and at the same time still sound great, then sign me up.

If, for instance, deep house ever hit mainstream then I would worry that it would go the way of disco. If there is big money to be made in it, then talentless hacks would start churning out tons of crap to cash in (Disco Duck anyone?). The signal to noise ratio would then make it harder for me to find the good stuff. On the other hand, if deep house did pop, then not all of the new mainstream stuff would suck and there certainly would be more music in that genre being released. So there is an argument that going mainstream is a good thing too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 8:24:59 PM PST
neuja says:
I feel the same. Cannot cope with the music most people listen to
in this country. I am almost 41 and I will listen to trance when I am
sixty and seventy and still love it. I will teach my grandchildren about
this kind of music and make them realize there is more than just
classic rock that America mainly seems to be stuck on.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 8:48:49 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 6:47:43 PM PST
Lance Zimmer says:
I love you all, I feel so alone in midwestern America where a drum machine is considered evil. There's more to it than just hitting a button. Programming electronic music is an art in itself and maybe someday more will realize it. It's sad that I feel embarassed to crank up my Tiesto or Madonna or something that I created myself in my car.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 10:15:18 PM PST
B. FOSTER says:
Hi guys and gals. I love the EDM. I love trance/progressive house, and I listen to it LOUDLY in my car, at home, and on my iPod at work. I don't give a hairy rat's buttocks what anyone else thinks -- it's not my problem that they're not enlightened to the wonders of this type of music. I listen for me, and noone else. So maybe it will always be an "underground" genre and never go mainstream ... but who really cares? I think that actually adds to the appeal in a way. As long as I have plenty of fist-pumping, head-bobbing deep melodic trance to listen to, I'm good. No, my friends don't "get it" and they probably think I'm weird for liking it, but that doesn't stop me from playing it while they're in the car, either. BTW, I'm listening to "Perception" by Cass & Slide, at the moment. Classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 1:36:26 PM PST
Join the club buddy. I know some other people into dance music but most of them are just people from the party scene. I'd like to have friends who are into dance music I could chill with any day of the week.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 1:58:38 PM PST
Agreed! Try being a club DJ in market that only plays Hip Hop, Country and Rock. Luckily, I have worked in a few bars where I could slide into Daft Punk and then into "Join In The Chant" by Nitzer Ebb. The first few times people freaked and left the dance floor, but after a week or two they started to stay out there. It sucks to have to take baby steps when introducing music that isn't Top 40.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 2:04:53 PM PST
Alan Pounds says:
Now what type of dance music are y'all talking about?

Nice topic by the way. My roommate is in the same boat as you guys. We've been hanging for nearly 9 years and he's been an electronica junkie ever since college. I actually own a handful of artists from the genre...mostly trip-hop like Chemical Brothers (my favorite...I own like 15 CDs/singles by them), Avalanches, Fatboy Slim, DJ Icey, Bad Boy Bill...and some others, but I'm not that into it.

I will admit, some of it that my roommate plays drives me nuts. Like Josh Wink, Richie Hawtin, Scott Henry...it's pretty much that hard repetitive house I can't do. I'm actually getting quite tired of the mash-up craze as well. Actually artists like 2 Many DJ's do it great; along with plenty others I'm sure...but the whole concept gets boring after a while. Also, it seems that many DJ mixes have a "flavor of the month" (or week) feel to them. I usually prefer a deep house mix with something a bit more classic (perhaps along the lines of DJ Jazzy Jeff "In The House").

I love all music, so I listen to most of what he has to offer when he plays it. It's the only defense I have for always playing hip-hop around him when I get to pick a CD. I have gained a respect for electronica that I never would have otherwise.

I really don't have a point...just throwing in my 2 cents. I usually post on the hip-hop forum...

Peace

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 7:27:04 PM PST
Hi, Lance,
I am not a drummer but I do play drums for fun.
Beating on floor drums to relieve stress. Really works for me. I agree with you that it is an Art that most will not recognize.
Hopefully these words we both wrote will help promote that instrument.
My music is basically Freestyle to dance too.
My favorite song "play at your own risk" is the best for drumming.
Nice to have shared a thought with you.
Have a good day!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 9:41:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2008 9:43:19 AM PST
CloudMan says:
Firstly...you don't listen to music for other people, but for yourself. That is what is so great about it. I was into mostly bands and alternative music prior to living in Australia and the UK for 7 years and then my musical tastes did a complete 180. The scene is just so inviting in both those countries. I understand however that it sucks when you want to throw on a choice track and all your buddies think that anything with a beat is "techno" and they all say it sucks...but remember even in the world of electronica there are a zillion genres and subgenres and your tastes will differ a lot from others for dance music also.
People will always hate what they don't understand or appreciate. It is human nature. A defence mechanism. Remember when all the classic "rockers" gathered in that football stadium to rally against disco? They obviously didn't succeed, but to organise an event like that to shout "Disco Sucks!". Who were the greater fools? The rally attendees or those who listened to disco?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 7:26:09 PM PST
S. valdez says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 1:37:39 AM PST
I don't listen to a whole lot of music like the radioheads walking around with iPods but I generally like The Rolling Stones. Then I tried internet radio with my new internet broadband and am hooked on dance music. I like stuff that makes me happy/lifts my mood or gets me moving... neither of which I do much. Unfortunately there are not many places for EDM fans to get your groove on in town; plenty of places that do hip-hop, country, rock, reggae and even striptease and Chippendales. And Hawaii being what it is, also Hawaiian music and slack-key guitar.

C.W. not a lot of dance clubs in New England states? If you're aching for a taste of dance/Eurodance then try moving (or at least vacation in) Europe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 3:02:04 AM PST
EugGal says:
It's even the same all the way here in Malaysia. My mates all call Electro, House and even Trance the same; techno. It's as if "techno" is the dictionary definition for al this music. Anything with a bassline and synths is called techno. It's quite shameful to see how people consider themselves to be fans of DJ's when their music library quite clearly shows little support for that. Eg, Tiësto is coming around to KL for a gig on part of his "Elements Of Life" CD, and everyone I know says that they are going to it. But as I go through their music library that they have on their iPod's, they only have tracks like Traffic, Flight 643 and Lethal Industry.

I'm not totally convinced that the people here actually appreciate Electronic music. Some big DJ from Europe comes over tha have a gig, and everyone wants to go. But if an independant, self-working DJ from America or Germany comes over and I even mention their name, they are clueless. Godskitchen had a party going on here in October last year, and when I mentioned to people about the gig and the DJ's that are going to be there, they all ask, "What's Godskitchen? I know of Hell's kitchen the cooking program, but what's Godskitchen?". I was shocked. The people who gave me these replies are the people who usually go out clubbing every weekend Friday. And to see how much club culture they actually are aware is quite shameful.

I'm glad to say I'm an avid House, Electro, Trance and Techno fan, and I hope that I continue to be in the years to come. In the words of Noir:

"It's all about the House music, and it always will be."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 2:19:07 PM PST
I totally feel you with electronic music and the negative feedback one get when listening to the music . Like you I like all types of music but, I tend to play a lot dance music ranging from "authentic disco" of the late 70's early 80's(Chic, Salsoul, Westend, Larry Levan, etc.) all the way to the more electronic deep house of today from "Miguel Migs" and "King Britt". since I 've been listening to it i've gotten some mixed views about it. Some like my sister like my music but, I have gotten some who looked at me like I had a disease just because I was playing music that was not hip hop or contemporary r&b. It doesn't make a difference to me becasue I've always played music that spoked to my inner emotions and not others. as far as gay thing goes, dance music has a universal appeal. It can appeal to anybody no matter what their sexual preference is. Besides gay is a state of mind and choice and that's not determined by the music you listen to. so no matter what naysayers may think, I think the best dance music is beautiful music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:20:56 AM PST
I think Tiesto is overrated personally, but I love dance music. I like a lot of other genres too, but the right house, trance, hardstyle, happy-hardcore, or club, will make me go nuts. I'm like the energizer bunny even though I can't dance. :) I even think up light shows and stuff in my head when listening to the stuff, and I wish wish wish someone would build the mega nightclub design I have in my head.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 10:15:00 AM PST
I know what you mean. It has taken alot of work here in Cali to open peoples minds to Trance and the possibility of something more than just the same old hiphop and whatnot. Luckily DJs like Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten make it easy to throw on a cd and have it open peoples minds that normally don't like dance music. I have a friend who creates music and will be one of the greatest producers ever. With the Audio/Visual combo, America will wake up soon!!!

www.myspace.com/zaemura

-Z

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 12:17:42 PM PST
D. Payton says:
I agree with you. Even my kids can't stand my music. Too bad! I'll play it loud and clear anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 7:55:51 AM PST
Paine says:
I'm a surgeon, and I routinely listen to electronic music in the operating room. I lean towards the European synthpop/EBM genre (e.g. And One, Covenant, VNV Nation, Melotron, etc.). No one that I work with seems familiar with the style. Some people are very open to things they don't usually listen to, and some people despise it. I'm sure that it will always be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 12:10:06 PM PST
Hardcorqueen says:
I have been into hardcore electronic music for over 10 years now, and where I live (WI) there is NO scene what-so-ever. People always ask me (if they hear my music) "What are you LISTENING to?" It's like, ah, what closed minds. Pop in a rock n roll cd and everyone can relate, so they are happy. Put in anything unfamiliar, and they don't know WHAT to do or how to react. They are out of their comfort zone when they here electronic music. I don't care though...hardcore will always remain underground (but not in the UK! which is where I NEED TO BE!) but that's okay cause it would SUCK if it went mainstream, and I started seeing rednecks or dah yoopers blasting hardcore. Ewk. =)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Dance Music forum (428 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Corey Andrew's First Solo Dance Single Lifts "Everybody Up!" 0 29 days ago
Corey Andrew Commands "Everybody Up!" With His First Solo Dance Single On Xcalibur Records 0 May 20, 2016
Zen2u releases album "Echoes of Industry" 0 May 17, 2016
Lyrics are "I know, you gonna want me, but when you want me, it might be a different story" 17 Apr 9, 2016
Need some ambient chillout tunes. Thanks! 262 Mar 22, 2016
Classical Guitar and trance... any suggestions??? 15 Nov 24, 2015
Electronic Dance Music 130 Nov 24, 2015
Call it Lounge, downtempo , Nu jazz chillout or whatever!!! 1958 Nov 24, 2015
siren at beginning of song 15 Nov 3, 2015
Psyself Radio - Electronic music on Android and iPhone 0 Sep 25, 2015
looking for a song...please help!!! 5 May 15, 2015
Anyone know of music similar to Art of Noise and Enigma? 68 Dec 4, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dance Music forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  316
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 41 customers

Search Customer Discussions