Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > david eddings forum

Never Read Eddings; Where to Start?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2008 11:42:30 AM PST
I have never read any of Eddings works.

So my question is: "With which one should I start?"

I have heard that the "Garion" tales are considered superior because the "Sparhawk" and "Dreamer" works are considered so derivative-- but if I have never read either, which one might I find to be more satisfactory?

Because the plots are apparently so similar-- I expect, that, for me at least, reading the second or third one could be a bit of a letdown after reading the first one I ever read.

Is Elen/Tam or Dreamers really a second-rate rehash, or is one of them the pennicle of refining an art?

Is any single series superior to another in any respect?

Is any one of the sagas less violent than either of the others? Is any one particularly better suited to read with younger readers? (My son is only five years old now, but if I like these tales I might want to encourage him to read my favorite series.)

I know I should probably read them all and then decide which one I like the best, but I really think I would tire of derivative characters or plots and hold a fondness for the one I experienced first.

Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 10:46:24 PM PST
I would start with the Bellgariad. It was the beginning. Then the Malloreon then The Elenium then the Tamuli. The Bellgariad and the Malloreon go together as does the Elenium and the Tamuli. I read books like most people are addicted to things. I hardly ever read a book more then once, I remember things well and do not like repeats. I never reread Dune or most StarWars even some series; Edding's you can read millions a times and the books remain fresh and fun. I even have quit reading certain series I have loved, because they have become so predictable such as The Cat Who.
I usually do not like books with to much fighting, but Edding's does it well.

I loved them all. Dreamers were a let down. My favorite is the Tamuli, but can not start with it. I remember when I started the Elenium I was hesitant with new characters, wow, I warmed up fast. I would recommend this to the World.

My children actually got me started on these. I LOVE THEM>
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the david eddings forum (1 discussion)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Never Read Eddings; Where to Start? 1 Jan 23, 2008

This discussion

Discussion in:  david eddings forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions