Customer Discussions > David Lynch forum

New to David Lynch, Need Suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-34 of 34 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 10, 2009 3:46:58 PM PDT
Hi! Definetely start with Lost Highway!!! I've seen and own copies of almost everything of Lynch's and I've been to several of his film festivals up in Washington State. I'd first recommend Lost Highway and then the Twin Peaks series...seeing Fire Walk with Me after you're done with the final episode of the series. Then you won't be able to EVER walk away from another Lynch anything! His soundtracks, if you like low-key but exciting music, are good. I'd recommend the first season of Peaks soundtrack and both of the Julee Cruise albums (that he made for/with her) around the same time that Twim Peaks came out. The music is haunting, relaxing, and mystical with inspirational movement all at once. I listen to it while I write my books. Write me if you have other questions... : )

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 1:57:11 PM PDT
C. Hogan says:
I ended up devoting a solid 3 months to watching everything under the Lynchian sun, and whenever I babble on about Lynch to my friends, either driving contempt for him because of my refusal to push his films on them, or causing them to spend far too much time in my basement watching these films (almost all of which I own). I usually tailor the order of films to the mind state of whomever I'm watching them with, but as a general rule of thumb, if I were to show an intrigued stranger every Lynch film over a period of time, here is where I'd go.

1. Blue Velvet
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Lost Highway
4. Eraserhead
5. The Short Films
6. Twin Peaks (pilot & s1/s2)
7. The Elephant Man
8. Fire Walk With Me
9. The Straight Story
10. Inland Empire

I probably wouldn't bother with Dune, because I feel like I'd have to read the book and be into the series for the film to interest me at all. And as far as Wild at Heart goes, I liked everything except the casting of Laura Dern and Nicholas Cage. Nicky just seemed so out of place, Laura Dern had no credibility to me until I saw Inland Empire for the third time, and the concept was too similar to True Romance, if Lynch were badly trying to remake it, but lacing it with unnecessarily hokey Wizard of Oz references, so aside from William Dafoe, I don't think Wild at Heart is a good representation of the best of Lynch. I didn't mean to digress into bashing Wild at Heart, so I'll leave on the note that every director has films that don't work for certain people, and Wild at Heart should not be ruled out, but it just didn't leave me in awe of Lynch's creative genius.

P.S. Inland Empire is really tough to watch with virtually anyone who currently attends theaters, and watching a Lynch film with anyone who has no interest in diving head first into an abstract experience will kill all hope of enjoying the movie.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 4:52:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 20, 2009 7:42:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2010 1:41:37 PM PST
gregZ says:
Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks (yes, the T.V. show), Wild At Heart...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 10:52:56 AM PST
Cinema Buff says:
Don't start. Especially with "Mulholland Drive". How a studio ever gave the green light to make this movie is beyond me. Terrible..made absolutely no sense. Garbage..pure garbage. I will never ever watch a movie by David Lynch. I would rather watch one where the entire movie is watching grass grow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 10:55:51 AM PST
Cinema Buff says:
Mulholland Drive was absolutely one huge piece of garbage. Terrible! I will never ever watch a David Lynch movie again. Where they come up with as a talented writer/director is beyond me. You have to be on drugs to enjoy this piece of crap. Made absolutely no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 10:59:06 AM PST
Cinema Buff says:
OMG! You are sick. Don't tell me, please, that you enjoyed "Mulholland Drive"?. Made absolutely no sense. You'd have to be on drugs to make any sense out of this movie. David Lynch must be one twisted individual.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 11:02:11 AM PST
Cinema Buff says:
"Mulholland Dived" belongs IN a dumpster. Terrible! Pure garbage. Anyone who can actually say they understood this movie AND enjoyed it is as sick as the so called talented writer/directer...who belongs in the dumpster with this movie.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 11:06:08 AM PST
Cinema Buff says:
David Lynch movies all belong in a dumpster. Entertaining? Case in point.."Mulholland Drive". Pure garbage. Would rather watch grass grow. Terrible! Even the sex scenes betwee Watts & Harring couldn't save this movie.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the David Lynch forum (4 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can these blu rays be played in USA? 0 Dec 8, 2012
New to David Lynch, Need Suggestions 33 Nov 30, 2010
Are You Kidding Me? 10 Mar 15, 2010
lost highway 7 Mar 8, 2010
ARRAY(0xa211190c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  David Lynch forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions