Customer Discussions > Dehumidifier forum

What's the Best dehumidifier for damp 700 sq foot basement -- but not too noisy. Advice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2008 6:11:24 AM PDT
D. KENT says:
I've looked at the reviews and I'm really confused now. At first I thought I wanted a soleus (too many complaints about breakdowns), then a whirlpool (too noisy). Will some wise person out there tell me what to buy? I have an unfinished 700 square foot basement in a new house. After the big flood in southern indiana it got water, and has been damp ever since. Half the basement is a crawlspace. I have a lot of nice stuff in storage down there and don't want it to rot! Please advise me. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 8:33:16 PM PDT
I had a run-of the mill Home Depot brand (Hampton Bay?) that worked ok, ran noisely but worked 10 years with no problem.

When it died around 2006 - I tried Whirlpool and Frigidaire but returned both in a matter of days for the noise which was astonishingly loud.

I then got the Soleus. (I have a review on this on Amazon). It worked well at first and it's exceptionally quiet. Frankly, no other dehumidifer is in the same league in regard to noise. It died after 18 months and I was not a happy camper. It is made by one of those mysterious Chinese companies that exist only as some post box in the US, so just forget about service.

So I replaced it with the Danby recommended by Consumer Report. It took a ton of water out of the air and sounded like a freight train. And it died after just 6 months. Several calls to the service center got me no where.

So, what now? Well, if I have to spend money, and live with these things, I guess it's back to Soleus. 18 months is better than 6. At least it's quiet. Otherwise, I think they are all the same. Noisy, lousy and not made half as well as they were 10 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 4:06:50 AM PDT
E. Raie says:
I have roughly the same size basement, but it is completely finished. And I feel your pain for finding something that works well and doesn't sound like a diesel engine. I've been through several brands of 40-pint EnergyStar recent models in the past couple of months (all have a drain option which is great if you have a floor drain), and they all had some varying levels of annoyance:

Whirlpool: sucked out the moisture pretty well, but couldn't fine tune the humidity level - only option was high-medium-low. And this model had a constantly running fan, and even on low sounded too loud to watch TV nearby. Back to the store it went.

GE: Again, worked well with quickly collecting the moisture, and was much more quiet than the Whirlpool, but still on the noisy side. This model had a digital display to adjust the humidity, shut off when the proper humidity was reached, had a timer...lots of bells and whistles. However, the internal humidistat seemed to be on the fritz - as soon as humidity was reached, it would shut off - however, within 60 seconds, the humidity would jump back up by 10% on the display, and it would cycle back on too quickly. Back to the store.

Haier: Not impressed....big & bulky, quiet fan but very poor airflow, compressor was really noisy. And it didn't remove nearly as much moisture as the previous two brands in the same time period, so back that one went.

Samsung: well, I'm happy with their electronics, so figured I would give them a try. Was still on the noisy side, the bucket was a real pain to remove, and the thing had trouble getting the humidity down as quickly as some of the others - 12 hours and it couldn't get the basement from 67% to 50%, where the others did it in almost half the time. Back it went.

Finally, I decided to try a Wood's model (W.C. Wood). This one is the keeper, only regret is not having tried it first. Very quiet fan & compressor (can watch TV in the basement once again!), very effective in reducing humidity, and humidistat is pretty accurate and it cycles on/off in a more effective manner. The low points are the bucket - good capacity but needs a little coaxing back into position. More difficult to carry around due to a poorly designed rear handle, and larger than some of the others. Has a LCD screen & menu system which I think is too 'busy' for a dehumidifier. But in terms of quiet & efficient, this is the one for me. Hope it lasts, as I don't want to play "Consumer Reports" again!! :-)

Hope this helps - good luck!

Posted on May 9, 2009 5:24:39 PM PDT
P. Marks says:
The Santa Fe Compact dehumidifier is one good option -- made in the USA and thus pricey (best price around $800). I've had one running for a couple years in my home shop and so far so good. Efficient, even at low temperatures.

I've toured the old Whirlpool dehumidifier plant in my consulting days. Getting a system that would stay sealed was taken very seriously back then. One result -- you could buy a Whirlpool or Whirlpool-made Kenmore and expect it to last 10 years. That attention to detail and quality is apparently lost in most of the imports. FWIW, I've gone through three Kenmore's in my downstairs library over the past four years. They run fine for a few months, start losing refrigerant and get less efficient, and then die.

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 4:01:29 PM PDT
Apolla says:
I've been trying to find one for my 650 sq ft apartment, and these things aren't easy to buy. Many of them don't want to tell you what sq footage they are for, and the wattage (how much it's going to cost to run them.) I bought a 60 pint Sunpentown unit to find that it's only supposed to cover 500 sq ft (most other brands this large cover many more sq ft,) and uses 780 watts. Then I thought I wanted a Frigidaire 50 pint unit that is listed on their website as using 420 watts, but on others as using 590-615 watts. Who do you believe? Is it better to have a unit that is on the edge of being too small or one that is too big and dehumidifies the space in front of it so fast, it constantly turns off, only to have the the humidity rapidly increase, so it turns back on right away?

There is a Woods dehumidifier that has a remote humidistat that isn't being made anymore, but you can find on a few websites. However, I called to find out the wattage, and was told it uses 1000 watts! Super expensive to run.

This is so frustrating!

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 9:17:31 AM PDT
Victor says:
I have crawl space with a rough concrete floor (roughly 650 sq. feet).
I am looking for an industrial strength dehumidifier with continuous drain option so I dont have to crawl on my knees every week.

I am leaning towards the compact Santa Fe model. Although it is pricey (almost $1000), if it solves the problem and lasts 7+ years it would be money well spent.

However, before I spend the money, I would appreciate feedback on the Santa Fe. I have seen one good review but am looking for more feedback. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 23, 2009 1:19:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2009 1:28:23 PM PDT
Real Name says:
I have a Whirlpool dehumidifier in my basement rec room. It works well, and drains via a hose into my floor drain, however it is quite loud. So here's what I do:

I plug the dehumidifier into a timer, but I don't set any of the red `off' pins on the timer. I just have green 'on' pins set every few hours.

Then when I watch TV in the evenings and the dehumidifier is too loud, I manually turn it off at the timer, and it will come back on again a few hours later automatically without me having to remember to turn it back on.

Timer: Intermatic TN311C Heavy-Duty Grounded Timer

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2009 5:08:17 PM PDT
Victor says:
Can you share the model number of your Whirlpool demhumidifier? Besides the noise, are you happy with it? How long have you owned it? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:46:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 11:06:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:47:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 11:06:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:47:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 11:07:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:47:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 11:08:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:48:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 11:10:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 11:11:39 AM PDT
What model is your WC Wood? I was looking at the 55 pint. Need a quiet one myself.

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 4:54:21 PM PDT
S. Bahramian says:
My goodness, I must have read hundreds of comments from various sites on dehumidifiers the last few weeks, and it's generally the same story: are there any companies out there proud of the products they are putting on the market? It seems that every single one of them is satisfied with manufacturing junk that is designed to last no more than a few months. Neither our landfills nor our bank accounts can support this level of consumption, so why is the government not requiring longer warranties on these and other products? This way companies will be obliged to make a better, more reliable product in the first place.
Please, if anyone finds a reliable product, let us all know; but I guess by then the product will be old enough to no longer be on the market!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2010 12:29:31 PM PDT
WC Wood is out of business now. http://putnamsentinel.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=6261

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2010 1:29:48 PM PDT
I got the 50 pint Frigidaire and it does a great job. It's easy to use and fairly quiet and it doesn't look too bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 8:07:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2010 10:28:49 AM PDT
Victor says:
Replying to S. Bahramian's comment on July 23, 2010:

Its nice to hear that you want the Government to set standards and monitor consumer complaints.
When things do not go well for the American consumer, the Government has to step in and clean up the mess.

Unfortunately, the Republicans are beating their chests about "smaller" Government. Smaller Government means more scams, inferior products and more fly by night operators. My two cents.

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 11:09:07 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 6:41:48 PM PDT
cocozilla says:
Umm Mark Twain...Calling someone a pinhead and moron for expressing a reasonable opinion on the problems of deregulation is more than a bit much. Counter with a reasoned response if you are able...and without insults.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 11:54:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2010 12:01:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 11:56:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2010 12:01:24 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:17:25 AM PDT
Maia says:
I've used a 50-pint Frigidaire in my finished basement which tends to get damp. It worked well for 4+ years, and just began to leak this week. I'll either get that or one of the other CR "best buys."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 10:02:13 AM PDT
Ours has been working good, but gets full so fast. I can't believe all that moisture is in the air.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:02:40 AM PST
P. Kues says:
I had a Whirlpool for over 10 years in my unfinished basement and it was Perfect! When it died I got a Danby: compressor died after 1 year. Now what? Is there not a single, reasonably priced unit that will do the job for at least 5 years???
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Dehumidifier forum (7 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dehumidifier forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2008
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions