Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > digital camcorders forum

Canon FS10 vs FS100

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2008 3:18:40 PM PST
Anyone know why paying an additional $100 for 8GB internal is a good idea instead of just buying an external memory card? FS10 has 8GB on board and the FS100 only supports an external card.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:09:19 AM PST
Selly says:
I happen to be a fan of Canon products and was looking for significant differences between these two cameras myself. I called Canon to ask the very same question and wasn't given much of an answer. My only guess would be for convenience so that you don't have to purchase an external card (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since an 8GB external card alone is cheaper), and to stack memory. From what I understand you could buy a 16GB card for the FS100 and only have 16GB available. But you could by the same 16GB card for the FS10 and have 24GB available since it already comes with the 8GB preloaded. This, for most consumers, myself included, probably wouldn't make a whole lot of sense either. The FS100 can record up to 10 hours according to the chart listed under the product description. And I don't know of many events requiring 10 consecutive hours of recording before transferring it to a hard drive or burning it on DVD. My guess even, is that most people would be fine with an 8GB which records upwards of 5 hours. But most people would probably prefer the extra space, just so as not to be pressed. And it's probably a good idea.

So for this reason, and after speaking with canon, it's probably a little more practical to buy the FS100 and purchase a 16GB card. First of all, a 16GB card is gonna cost around $100. And 16GB will give plenty of storage, more than enough probably. This'll put the camera at about the same price (maybe even a few bucks less depending on where you get the SDHC card) as the FS10. But for about the same price you get twice the space as the FS10. Why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 9:39:22 AM PST
I also pinged Canon and got a little better answer. I was thinking the internal memory might also serve as a cache, but the response from Canon indicated that the cameras are identical and the memory is just as you said, a convenience. I'm going for the FS100 and buy some class 6 memory for it. Thanks for the response!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 11:24:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2008 11:26:14 AM PST
Selly says:

I'm not sure how dedicated you are to the Canon brand, but I was doing some searching and I found some other camcorders in the same price range for a lot more space. I'm not sure with the differences are between these and the Canons that allow for such a drop in HD space with the Canons, but they're sort of making me hesitate to pre-order now. Maybe because the FS100 is new on the market? Anyway, here they are in case your interested:

JVC Everio GZMG130 30GB Hard Disk Drive Camcorder with 34x Optical Zoom
Sony DCR-SR42 30GB Hard Disk Drive Handycam Camcorder with 40x Optical Zoom

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 7:13:18 AM PST
I'm mostly focused on the flash cameras; just a geek thing. Not wedded to brand. Started out looking at the Sony HDR-CX7, then went to the other extreme looking at Aiptek. Beyond flash I am enamored of something I can put in my shirt pocket and also get a still shot from. Was locked on the Sanyo CG-65 until I saw the CES reports on the new Canon. Easily swayed I guess.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the digital camcorders forum (18 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  digital camcorders forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions