Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

Digital cameras with date stamp

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2007 10:28:22 AM PDT
C. Lyons says:
What cameras are available that will print the date on the picture?

"date stamped pictures"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 3:33:43 PM PDT
Bookgirl says:
Most cameras will have a date stamp, it's up to you to go into your menu and set up the camera to use it. There are also photo printing places that will put a date stamp on your photos by request. Ours does here in Japan, so I'm sure there are some in America as well.

Tricia

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 5:16:19 PM PDT
jason says:
almost all canon has date and time stamp,you need to set it on

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2008 7:57:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2008 7:58:46 PM PST
Kodak C series/models and some nikon cameras have date stamp on the pictures even if it was downloaded on the computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 4:16:34 AM PST
Pigumon says:
Please don't. Nothing ruins a picture more than that silly date stamp in the corner of every picture. ALl digital cameras record the exact moment it was taken, and saves it in the picture file itself. Most places that print digital pictures give you the option of have that info printed on the BACK of the print, so you don't ruin the picture. Also the software that comes with it (and pretty much any good photo software like iPhoto) will give you the date and time and all your settings that you used to take that perfect pic!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 4:25:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2008 4:28:15 AM PST
I'm guessing you need it for insurance pictures or something to that effect? Most point-and-shoots have it burried in their menu, just look for it.

I'd skip it and just use the Metadata that comes with every picture take on most modern cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 6:58:49 AM PST
Having a date stamp on a picture does not ruin it. I work as a Production Manager /Superintendent of a Construction Company. Our custormers love this feature! I travel to several on-going jobs everyday taking lots of pictures and will not download them but once a week or so. It is a pain to have to go to the file to see which date the picture was taken on which date, as opposed to the date stamp on the pics which I can see on the thumbnails. It is a very useful feature that I wish every camera at least had the option. You could always turn it off....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 8:28:34 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Date stamp IS a useful feature sometimes. Even my cheapy Lumix LZ7 has date stamp and four custom modes that will stamp (for example) the day of a process (vacation mode) or somebody's age (baby and pet modes) when the picture was made.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 2:37:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2009 2:46:44 PM PST
EdM says:
Raymond Handforth - You point reveals that what is important differs for different uses. For evidence purposes in construction, or car accidents, or similar, the date in the photo is very useful. For people who care more about instantly remembering which day and year that vacation photo was made, it's useful.

OTOH, for a truly wonderful photo it's different. Can you imagine National Geographic printing a photo spread with the date in the corner of the images? It ruins the photographic integrity of the image and overwrites some of the details otherwise present, what the date overwrites. So, if one desires the best from an image that it can provide, keep the date/time taken in the EXIF, the camera shooting data, rather than in the photo. You can retrieve this data when you want it, and most photos these days are kept on computer or in electronic form anyway. OTOH, for some purposes, it's quite helpful to have the date "memory" in the photo. It's up to the person, what is "better."

In making this decision, you also reveal to the world, or at least others who see your photos, what is most important to you, photography or memories. Neither choice is bad, in itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 4:46:38 PM PST
And for "evidence" photos, a plain image date stamp is probably not sufficient for legal... A skilled person, with samples of what the date stamp looks like for a particular camera, could probably use photoshop to duplicate the look/placement with a false time stamp.

The upper end Canon's have an add-on module that apparently encrypts a copy of the shooting information into the image file. You need the proper software to be able to verify (and maybe even view) the image.

If the complaint is that it would help sorting from thumbnails, I would suggest putting the memory card into a card reader, setting the directory window to show details, and scanning the date stamp of the file itself. Or software like Adobe Bridge which displays the thumbnail, file name, and up to three more items -- date stamp, modification time stamp, exposure, etc. -- in the "browser".

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 12:12:39 PM PDT
Cindy says:
A camera with a date stamp is great when you have small kids and want to easily calculate their ages when viewing the pictures on a slide show.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2009 1:38:42 PM PDT
Carry around a white-board and washable markers, and on each shooting day, shoot one frame of the white-board with suitable information: date, location, etc.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 8:02:23 AM PDT
Mr. Bieber,what a GREAT idea!I will be doing that from now on.
Thanks much

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 10:14:14 AM PDT
montana_nick says:
Does anyone know of an image editing utility that can create a date/time stamp by batch processing digital photos, extracting this from the EXIF and modifying the image file to show the date/time? Generally, I don't want the date/time to show on my photos, but there are occasions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:08:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 8:14:30 PM PDT
"""
Mr. Bieber,what a GREAT idea!I will be doing that from now on.
Thanks much
"""

I think this ol' wolf may be blushing... I was partly tongue-in-cheek with that suggestion...

OTOH -- that IS what a movie production clapper board is used for (along with synchronizing multiple cameras and audio sources in post production)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:00:31 PM PDT
Actually some of us use them for work and HAVE to have a date and time stamp to document the photo and while I realize that the info is most often stored with the picture, to manually manipulate and "install" and date stamp on thousands of pictures is a waste of time. So while those who take pictures of pretty things some of us actually have to use it for it's intended purpose.

Most of the cameras I have been looking at do NOT have an auto date stamp feature as many of the manufacturers have discontinued this feature for those who could not figure out how to turn it off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:01:42 PM PDT
Thank you Raymond, my point exactly. Can you recommend one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:58:01 PM PDT
The last prior posting were TWO YEARS AGO!

If such cameras were rare than, they are probably going on the endangered species list now.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 7:29:44 PM PDT
JCUKNZ says:
Oh well ... we will just have to rely on EXIF data it seems ....I thought I remembered this thread from way back :-)
Without a specific purpose, as mentioned, a date stamp is as much use as a copyright lable ... so easy to remove :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 9:18:13 PM PDT
Yeah... If one needs the datestamp for legal verification one really wants a camera that supports the equivalent of Canon's "Original Data Security Kit"

"""
Original Data Security Kit OSK-E3**

The newly developed Original Data Security Kit OSK-E3 enables independent verification of the authenticity of image data and metadata (including GPS data). Additionally, the OSK-E3 Data Verification Kit features optional data encryption of EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLR files upon capture to prevent modification of image data or unauthorized interception of images during wireless transmission.
"""
{The kit claims to be supported by most of the Canon SLR line -- though I'm not sure it does}

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 3:03:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 16, 2013 4:04:49 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 3:30:01 PM PDT
Karen P. says:
Does the Canon Powershot A2500 IS have the date and time stamp feature?
Karen

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 3:45:15 PM PDT
montana_nick says:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/454359/Canon-Powershot-A2500.html?page=35 - It looks like it does, but why anyone would want to do that is another question. these stamps had value in the film days, but with digital, EXIF data has all you need. Curious as to why you would want to add something to the photo that can't be removed without deleting data?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 3:57:09 PM PDT
Karen P. says:
This is for a construction project. The pictures have to have a date stamp on it for legal purposes.

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 4:20:40 PM PDT
montana_nick says:
ah.... then yeah, that Canon should do the trick.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions