Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

Digital P&S for recording concerts in low light...under $200..that takes AAs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 10:47:36 PM PST
I am looking for a new digital camera. My main focus other than pics of the family and general ebay stuff, is to video tape concerts, from the front row, obviously in low light. Also, I prefer a camera that takes AA batteries, archaic as it is, I fear after an hour and a half of video taping, I will have gone through 5 or 6 non AA batteries, meaning more battery changes etc. AAs i only have to change one time for about 2 hours of shooting. A have a canon now and have never been happy with it for what i need, but my other one broke all together and i just need a new one. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:44:43 AM PST
If you look in the 'Photography' forum, there is a thread with over 300 responses about a concert video camera.

Actually, you will be doing more battery changes with 'AA''s than with a regular camera battery, at least most of them anyway, and certainly not 5 or 6 in an hour and a half.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:13:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:19:10 AM PST
Neo Lee says:
Generic $15 Li-Po for my Panasonic TM700K will record 6 hours continuously before running out of juice. Unless you can't live without AAs, you might not want that option. The cameras that will meet your criteria is probably none. Low-light camcorders are not designed with AA batteries in mind. It's almost always with a rechargeable Lithium battery. AA batteries are mostly for budget users who just want a cheap convenient camcorder for vblogging. If you're going for a low light camera, Panasonic TM series is one of your best bets.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 10:21:40 PM PST
I am not looking for a camcorder. I am looking for a point and shoot that will record video as well. I realize this is not something I am likely to find, but trying to figure out what the best thing i can afford is.

As far as battery life on non-AA batteries, I didnt think that they lasted that long. So, then if you could include a possible point and shoot that will record video in low light decently-that has a rechargeable long life battery....please recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 10:50:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 10:53:15 PM PST
®ichard says:
I recommend moving off AA also. Not only are the better camera models using the li-ion compare to a fewer/ big fatter AA P&S. Ion last so much longer, just buy a spare incase. Tossing AA battery because they a convenience isn't very green to the environment. I do have 4x4 sets of rechargeable AA for my speedlights. They are Ni-mh rechargeable.

For which P&S model does best in low light depends on the size of the sensors. At $200 you are looking at the smallest sensor of about 1/2.3". So the more expensive models as you go up the price chain will be better. I am stratify with my p300 newer is Nikon COOLPIX P310. It isn't that good compare to a dslr, but fine for the price and market it is at. You go up the price to the canon s100, it has a tad bigger at 1/1.73. Then up the price chain to the Nikon 1 V1 10.1 MP HD Digital Camera System with 10-30mm VR 1 NIKKOR Lens (Black) at 350 is brand new from amazon is a good deal for movies mode and a EVF. It is has a fast Af for movie and once was price around $800. Not a bad deal for a cheap camera now. It has a CX size sensor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:30:25 AM PST
JCUKNZ says:
I don't see much point in suggesting cameras out of budget range. People have a limit to their finances and if the answer is 'no such camera at that price' they should be told that. Probably the answer is on the secondhand market if you deal with reputable sellers such as KEH and B&H and one or two others. www.dpreview.com list out of production cameras and their specifications, including what sort of batteries they are designed to use.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions