Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

Is the Nikon D7000 ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 8:19:43 PM PST
Is the Nikon D7000 really worth it for most?

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:20:21 PM PST
What are the best lenses for this camera?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 10:36:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 10:41:24 PM PST
® says:
you posted two very vague questions. Seem like everybody on amazon posted vague questions and expect solid answer.

Vague question = vague answer.

Are comparing to a d5100, or a d600 and how much money. If you can afford it then it isn't a question. The most bang for your bucks for any consumer items are usually the cheaper one, hence honda civic. Don't get the cheapest either as it is too gimpy, hence toyota yaris. So d5100 verse d7000, if you are used to more manual controls, no way on earth you want a d5100 over a d7000. As a d7000 owner, I have no major issues with it, and the 2 plus years with it has been great. Don't have the urge to go full frame FX either (but will someday). I also don't want to touch a baby nikon (d3100, d5100) again either.

For best lenses, you didn't even stated what you like to shoot, landscape, portrait, etc. As each styles has certain lenses that fits the criteria better. I used to thought the 18-200 was the best walkaround lenses, but not anymore. I would say nikkkor fx lenses is the best lenses for this camera. Edge to edge sharpness, less distortion, CA then dx lenses.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:12:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:16:38 PM PST
Makoto says:
(R) pretty much sums it up.

I personally think the D7000 is currently at the best bang-for-your-buck granted one wants all the features it has. Otherwise, a D5100 body is an even better deal - plus lighter, smaller, and has a swivel screen.

The best lenses will always be the fast primes and fast zooms. For someone starting out on a crop sensor, which the D5100 and D7000 are, I suggest the purchase of a mid zoom lens (55 to 200mm?) and one fast prime - I suggest the 35mm f1.8. The "best" lenses in terms of quality will likely always be the most expensive. Usually, the faster a lens is - meaning a smaller f-stop (ie. 1.8 or 1.4), the better the lens. Zoom is another factor into the price.

Is the D7000 worth it? Depends on you. But for most, it's Nikon's DX flagship for some time since the D90. So I'm guessing, yes, it's worth it, but it depends on the person.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 9:31:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 9:37:49 PM PST
EdM says:
For most people, a good P/S camera is probably best - it probably fits their budget, it is smaller and easy to carry around for whenever they want to take a photo, and all they really want is a snapshot.

OTOH, if you are interested in making great photos that people will admire and you might print out and hang on your living room wall, or if you are interested in shooting in low light conditions or sports events, etc., you really should get a DSLR and the D7000 is a fine example of a capable model.

On best lenses, this depends on what you want to shoot, your photo style, your budget, and how your feel about carrying heavy, larger, more expensive lenses.

The best lenses in terms of image quality are prime lenses, e.g., ones that do not zoom. I normally prefer Nikon lenses, and for not much money, there are several fine ones: Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S Nikkor Lens, 3 UV/FLD/CPL Filters and Accessory Kit Digital SLR Camera and Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras.

Moving up a step, the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras is fine for portraits and medium telephoto. Possibly the Nikon 28mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens might do for more $$, rather than the 35 mm lens above, as it is a bit wider and likely somewhat better if you prefer a slightly wider view than with a 35mm lens on a DX camera. Arguably, the 28mm, 50mm and 85 mm f1.8 lenses make a fine/excellent, low light capable, prime lens collection for not a whole lot of cash.

In zooms, I like the expensive, "pro" quality Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens, but the lower cost Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR Nikkor Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras is a fine travel lens. Of course, for good economy, either kit lens, the 18-55 or the 18-105 lens, is a good consumer grade lens that can make excellent photos.

Still, for telephoto zoom, the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras is a fine lens, and there are from time to time bargains if you purchase a body and one or more additional lenses on the same ticket, all from the same seller, like Amazon here.

Really, though, the lenses you need/want depend on your budget, your photographic style - what you want to shoot. For example, some close up shots are nicely done with the above lenses, but for really close shots, you need a different type of lens, a macro lens, like the Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras or perhaps the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens.

There are other lenses and even other brands that will work - every choice is a compromise, and you should choose what works best for you. One lens that is "best" by some measures is this one:

http://www.jenoptik-inc.com/coastalopt-standard-lenses/uv-vis-nir-60mm-slr-lens-mainmenu-155.html

It's expensive, doesn't zoom as it has a fixed, 60mm focal length, only a f4 maximum aperture, but for an apochromatic lens, it's likely the best there is, if you need those abilities. Similarly, if you need a long telephoto, there is a Nikon 600 mm f4 AF-S VR telephoto lens that is in the $10k range. In any event, there are many different kinds of "best" lenses, for various purposes and for different budgets [and maybe depending on if you have a bearer/assistant to carry your heavy, large, costly gear around for you].

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 5:23:50 AM PST
Luis Alberto says:
If you compare the Nikon options ... here you can see the level of category between the brand, as you can compare between brands and cameras on this website! luck

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!brand=Nikon

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 5:26:02 AM PST
Luis Alberto says:
For complete information for your camera, lenses about! ... visit this website ... luck

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Alberto de Venezuela
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Cannot install the wrist strap on the Canon ELPH 100 HS. 12 2 days ago
New York Camera Store Scams & What You Can Do About It 103 8 days ago
Evidence gathering camera's that stamp date / time onto the photo 0 Mar 29, 2016
How to get battery out of Nikon d5100 18 Mar 5, 2016
digital camera that uses the AA batteries 73 Feb 23, 2016
Help with Canon Powershot SD 780 IS 8 Feb 8, 2016
Which of these 8 Cameras is the best for me? 0 Dec 24, 2015
What is the best camera under $400? 1 Dec 20, 2015
Best digital camera for capturing Northern Lights and withstanding Yukon winter temps 0 Dec 7, 2015
Good,basic digital camera on a budget needed 1 Nov 28, 2015
Need help choosing a good digital camera--fast shutter speed important 73 Oct 30, 2015
Manual digital SLR's 32 Oct 1, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions