Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

continuous shooting camera

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2013 3:22:11 AM PST
I'd like a camera which I could set to auto shoot at regular intervals. Like if I wore it around my neck and it would just automatically take a shot every 10 seconds through out my day. Is there anything like that available? It would need a quick autofocus so I could take shots while I'm running. So I would kind of have a digital diary of everywhere I hiked, ran, etc. Anything like that out there? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 8:35:43 AM PST
Well... Using the Canon Timer-Remote in intervalometer mode would provide most of that (I'd need to check the manual to see if it has a "no limit" mode or if you'd have to preset for 999 images and later reset).

However, that is a $150 remote, and is designed for the x0D and above SLRs. You'd also need to arrange for a harness to hold the SLR as the weight of the lens just makes them hang pointing at the ground. I doubt you're interested is recording cracks in the pavement.

Your best bet is probably not to look for a still image camera, but instead something like a web-cam with small computer to record the images... Look up, say, helmet cameras -- most are video cameras, I don't know if they permit timed snaps; you may just have to rely upon large memory cards and some video-editing software to reduce the frame count (emulating time-lapse) or capture individual frames...

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 8:54:56 AM PST
you need a camera with an intervalometer. the only one i can think of is the nikon d7000. that's a prosumer level dslr so i'm pretty sure you're not going to want that heavy thing attached to your chest while running. i tried google searching for cameras with an intervalometer and found this useful thread
sounds like the canon users have a great tool called the CHDK (you can read about it in the link i posted) that will allow for intervalometer work. i cannot speak to the accuracy of what's in the forum, so do your research before you make any purcheses. but if the claims are true, sounds like you can buy many different small point n shoot cameras from canon and do the CHDK modification to enable an intervalometer function. anyhow hope something in here helps.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:41:50 AM PST
JCUKNZ says:
I have an intervalometer, found it on Amazon, yet to use it but if you can find a Panasonic camera which doesn't point at the ground, I am afraid both mine would do that, and has the remote socket it could be the answer for you. It is called a 'Trust Digital" ... it is one of the gadgets I buy thinking I might have a use for it 'one day' :-)
Even with a large storage card I think you would need to reduce the resolution of whatever camera you used to have a smaller file size to last any time.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:26:11 AM PST
No camera is going to take photos where you'd recognize anything while it's bouncing around off your body as you run. The closest you could get would be to use a radio trigger in one hand and stop, shoot, stop, shoot, etc. I tried something like this one day just walking, and got about 3 out of 700 shots that were worth anything. Even a video camera is likely to just make your audience motion sick.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:16:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 6:23:36 PM PST
Tom Martin says:
You want a Go Pro
It is made for exactly that type of thing. It's small and light, has all kinds of ways to attach it to bodies (GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras), heads (GoPro Head Strap Mount for HERO Cameras), helmets, cars, surfboards, just about anything.
Its wide angle lens means it has a huge depth of field, so pretty much everything is in focus.
It's got a protective waterproof case, I've seen them fly off cars at autocross, at 30+ mph, people just pick them up stick them back on and they keep working.
There are three current versions
GoPro HD HERO3: White Edition
GoPro Camera HD HERO3: Silver Edition
GoPro HD HERO3: Black Edition
You'll have to see what features you want. Keep in mind you'll probably need one or more extended battery backs (GoPro Battery Bacpac) to do what you want so budget for that.
Here's a Youtube video describing how to set the GoPro for time lapse

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 9:51:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 1:02:06 PM PST
Richard says:
Sounds like an art project, read about Google's Glass project on cnet. It is some camera on a eyeglass frame that you can take picture. I think they might add an android os on it too, but it is still in concept design. Like other mentioned Gopro is what I might look into.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions