Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

A camera that date stamps as you take photos?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 119 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 24, 2011 8:43:43 PM PDT
The Nikon Image Authentication Software costs $600. Since it has already been cracked to allow manipulation of the photos without detection, it probably wouldn't stand up in court against a Google search by a smart attorney.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 10:32:37 PM PDT
see straight says:
i agree with Kang

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 10:33:27 PM PDT
see straight says:
I agree with Kang

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 7:48:18 AM PST
Mark Nelson says:
I have a canon sx40. Does anyone know how to take the date stamp off?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 8:07:51 AM PST
Hi, Get a Canon power sot A3300 for under $100 it has date stamps

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 10:58:45 AM PST
I personally like the date stamp. It settles old arguments over when the pic was taken! lol If I do get that once in a lifetime shot it is usually pretty easy to photoshop the date out. I can't remember ever having one that covered up anything of real importance. Most of the time a simple crop is all it takes to remove it.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:07:50 AM PDT
Angus says:
I'm also looking for a camera that puts the date on the photo because of business reasons. Cameras are used for all different reasons and no, not every camera has that capability, which is why some of us are trying to find one that does it. The one I have now stores the information, but it does not put in on the picture. Hope that is helpful information for those of you that don't understand why someone wants a date in the picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 9:03:03 PM PDT
T. Campbell says:
Canon has several point & shoots which have the option to insert a "Date Stamp" in the corner of the image -- and I'm guessing so do others. Just be aware that this becomes part of the image. The feature is a menu option that you can turn on (it's off by default.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 12:52:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 7:48:47 PM PDT
® says:
I find it odd that dslr and sony nex doesn't have this features, but my little point and shoot does. So for the record the Nikon COOLPIX P300 12.2 and the newer p310 will have the date and time (all or nothing) stamped on the lower right hand corner in orange. I also noticed it has a memo option too. I use neither options, but it is there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 10:14:52 AM PDT
That is what I like too. Hard to find and camera sales people aggravate me telling me we don't have any. Kodak ( going out of bus's) and GE are the only ones that auto date stamp and crop in camera...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:47:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 12, 2012 10:52:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:59:35 AM PDT
For the people saying they need the date stamped for family photos, you don't need this feature. That's because all cameras have what's known as EXIF info. If you hover the mouse over each photo in Windows, it actually tells you the date it was taken. There-- problem solved.

For people needing this for business/ legal purposes, I'm not sure how having such a feature would help. In the Photoshop Age, stamping doesn't really mean as much as it did during film. All anyone would have to do to discredit your photos was claim that you just altered them in Photoshop.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:15:03 PM PDT
P. Luse says:
That is unfair comment. I don't keep and use all photos on the computer where I can "hover" over it. When I print them for an album either I want the date printed in the lower corner or I will use a black marker and write it in. Yuck....black marker?? Why can't we have the option at least??

As for work, again, I print photos imbedded in word documents and if the date is not marked in the lower corner then I have to document the date in the caption of the photo in the document then change the whole document to a PDF for supposed permanent print off into a filing cabinet.

I WANT THE OPTION BACK!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:16:55 PM PDT
P. Luse says:
Thank you for the name of a camera. Will check it out. That's what this post string is about...finding some alternative camera's that still have the option. Thank you, Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:20:59 PM PDT
P. Luse says:
My ITS department will not load any disc that comes with the new camera onto a work computer. Nor will they buy a "Canon printer" to match just because. Send the message out to camera makers - put the option for date stamp back into the camera. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:24:23 PM PDT
P. Luse says:
I don't want to run "more programs" dang it!! I want the option on the camera itself. Turn it on and be done with it! Will leave the extra add on programs and download programs from internet and extra time spent doing all the extra programs to people who love sitting in front of their computers all day. I have other things to do. EXIF is great as permanent date record. I want the print on photo option in the camera to start with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:27:54 PM PDT
P. Luse says:
It's not about proof in court for me. It's about sending out documents to responsible parties showing photos ranging over several weeks. The date stamp on the photo REALLY drives home the point that the party is not taking care of business. If I need to go to court, then will worry about the EXIF files and legal ramifications then.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:09:58 PM PDT
If we're looking at business applications, just having the date printed will make it much easier and quicker to ID time and date of photos for research purposes whether it be scientific or investigative especially when it comes to showing the non-geek people the results where having a printed photo means much more than a file on a computer.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 8:55:52 AM PDT
MaryPies says:
have a Canon PowerShot Elph 100HS

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:24:56 AM PST
Ray says:
Some of have to have time date for what we do for a living. Insurance company's require this of independent appraisers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 9:55:36 PM PST
And they can't rely on the EXIF data?

It doesn't take much Photoshop to emulate a date-stamp /on/ an image... If the validity of the image is required, one needs a security package in the camera (though I understand the system Canon used to sell has been cracked).

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:10:10 AM PST
Having the date on personal, construction and investigative photos is very helpful both for memory and documentation. I want the option to have the date showing. I want a camera that lets me put this on any photo I take not just on a postcard resolution. Any camera that will do this interests me. Please post any you know of.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 9:17:29 AM PST
My Canon Power Shot SD 3500 IS does it fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 6:40:42 AM PDT
Some of you are hung up on the EXIF info being available. BUT, some of us work for governmental agencies who do not allow us to download 'other' software to our office computers that would allow editing and printing the date on the photo when there ARE cameras that do this automatically.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 10:55:03 AM PDT
EdM says:
@ P. Luse [and others] - Perhaps you've heard the old saying, "When all else fails, read the ... manual"? Look [usually] in the custom menu setup section, for the many P/Ss that have this "feature".

You could go to a local camera store and ask a knowledgeable sales person. Oh, wait, they've all gone out of business, in favor of those box stores with know-nothing clerks?

Well, this "feature" is of so little importance, that DPReview, owned by Amazon, does not list it as a searchable feature in their camera feature search. [Look at the advanced feature section to confirm.] Maybe you could ask DPReview for this to be a searchable feature in the future.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

Indeed, showing relative importance, there are many articles such as this on techniques for GETTING RID of those date stamps:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/139454/article.html

"Get Rid of That Ugly Date Stamp"

If you are dealing with paper, printed photos, more than a few print shops can print the date on the photo - just ask different photo print shops until you find one that will satisfy your need. Or, write it on the back of the photo with a pencil, along with other helpful info, like the street address, people in the photo, etc. Journalists regularly carry a notebook or paper pad around to document appropriate details. Or, like kidnappers, put a copy of that day's newspaper front page in the photo as shot. Include a clock tower in the shot to record the time. There are many ways to skin a cat, if you use your head for something more than a hat rack.

For digital photos, many photo-editing programs can put the date into the picture, say via a text layer. Also, Photoshop has a very nice content aware fill option to delete an existing date and then you can put whatever date you want. You can even automate date stamping for a batch of photos, if you want. Most picture viewing programs can display the EXIF data at need, for the original digital photo file. That is to say, just having a date stamped in the photo does not make that date info correct. Clocks in cameras can be set wrong, not in the proper time zone, or not on daylight savings time, etc.

You can also take a first photo of the scene, and then take a photo of your smart phone's display with the date and time for the next adjacent photo as a record, in lieu of a notebook. The file numbers will be sequential, as well as having the EXIF info to compare to.

Still, if you like a candidate camera for possible purchase, just go online and look at the camera's manual, in the section about custom menu setups. That should reveal if the date stamp option is available. OR, get one of those old film cameras with a date stamp feature, and do it the old way via film and paper prints from your local photo shop.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
A camera that date stamps as you take photos? 118 2 days ago
Silicon Valley Peripherals-SVP - Buyers beware 7 2 days ago
Would You Buy a Refurbished Camera? 27 19 days ago
Best digital camera display in bright sun conditions 23 Mar 24, 2015
Need help choosing a good digital camera--fast shutter speed important 71 Mar 23, 2015
Looking for the Best Point and Shoot Camera for fast action ~ 1 Mar 1, 2015
Digital cameras with date stamp 33 Jan 15, 2015
New York Camera Store Scams & What You Can Do About It 97 Dec 13, 2014
Looking for a camera to shoot family pics (toddlers) 5 Nov 10, 2014
Point and shoot for low light conditions 14 Nov 3, 2014
Point and Shoot Mid-Range Preferably Not Slow with Rechargeable Battery 33 Oct 8, 2014
Camera technology used in historical photos - HOW did they make such incredible photos? 6 Oct 5, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2010
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions