Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

Sony RX100 or Canon G15 for Disney and moving kids at Christmas

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 11:00:06 AM PST
RR-S says:
I am about to pull the plug on one or the other since we're going to see grandkids at Christmas and taking them to Disney shortly thereafter.
I have a Canon t2i (kit & great zoom IS lens) and love the images, but it is big to always have with me everywhere.

I really didn't want to spend that kind of money, but just bought an inexpensive P&S which didn't do what I wanted it to do, so, I'm resigned to spending more money. (Black Friday Panasonic 7 something or other) and will be giving it to the grandkids). I'm spoiled by decent shots.

IMPORTANT:
1. I need something that is EASY for my non-photographer spouse to use. (almost idiot proof - not that I'm calling him that)
2. HAVE to be able to use it in bright light - haven't had good luck with just LCD screens, but haven't tried new ones.
3. I have to wear glasses for reading (When did THAT happen?!) so I'd like a viewfinder which was almost a deal breaker against the Sony RX100 - but I'm willing to consider because of the great reviews.
4. I shoot lots of interior and hate to use flash unless absolutely necessary.
5. Kids. They move. They move Fast. Indoors & out.
6. I tend to be better and enjoy taking photos of people rather than landscape.
7. Image stabilization for crisp shots is important - spouse isn't always that steady (not going to use a tri-pod)

How important is the 5x Canon zoom vs the 3.6 Sony zoom? I'm used to being able to zoom a lot, but can crop to get the photo I want.
The cameras are about $200 apart - worth it?
I'd love to hear from someone who's actually used them.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:41:46 PM PST
Depending on your prescription, reading glasses used with an optical finder may not be feasible -- the diopter adjustment may not run a wide enough range to compensate for the reading glasses.

The RX100 is one of the few P&S with a sensor larger than the Canon G series (the RX100 has three times the surface area
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

That said, my personal preference is still the G-series -- I much prefer optical viewfinders, and external flash shoes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:01:12 PM PST
RR-S says:
I prefer an optical viewfinder as well, and I didn't have to use the reading glasses to see through the tunnel viewfinder. (this camera won't use an external flash - needs to be more portable) but I'm really impressed with the larger sensor of the Sony. And the review is glowing.
One problem, I can get a G15 in my hands to see it, but not the Sony RX100.
I'd have to order on faith.

I've read your reviews - thank you; do you know which camera is better in low light (evening & interior) and fast action (kids playing basketball/soccer, not pro-sports)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:10:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:25:36 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
You're gonna have the same old difficulty with LCD in bright light even with RX100. Since you stressed on "HAVE to be able," you should be looking at only cameras with a viewfinder, either optical or electronic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:09:43 PM PST
® says:
P&S optical viewfinder are not like slr which is TTL (through the lens). If you zoom on a P&S then the view on the viewfinder looks the same as you didn't zoom at all. Plus they are small as heck. Sony NEx does this too, they just pop a peace of glass on top and call it a viewfinder. That is great, but kind of point less. An optical view finder does save on battery, so that is a good factor.

Which camera is better is how much you are willing to spend. a Point and shoot is like a motocycle either way. The sony would be the speedier engine with a bigger sensor and the G15 like some MacGyver bigger body motorcycle with a passenger compartment. Accessories for a P&S is nice, but over kill for such a tiny sensor.

Better for low light would be two thing, sensor technology and sensor size (a fast processor can cook some noise out, so can you in post production software). Sony has the edge on both here, but 650 is a high price to me. Once it drops (sub 500) then I will be interested. Not sure what the good review on the sony are yet. Haven't taken some store sample shots yet to say if the IQ to be excited myself. Most people who buy these two models are enthusiast, pro that want something small to pull out fast, and have a dslr already (like you).

Bright sunlight on LCD, that one is use your hands as a shade. P&S are so small that can easily be done. Indoor interior shots, add a tripod to shoot a smaller aperture if you want bigger DoF (depth of field). Kids running around, learn how to anticipate your shots. "enjoy taking photos of people rather than landscape" me too, a larger glass or sensor will give you more boken. P&S are not known for great bokeh. I wear glass for work, bu tdon't like to scratch them/ get smuggle on them using a OVF. Good thing my right eye is nearsighted, my left is farsighted. "idiot proof" any camera basic program settings is all he needs. The5x on the smaller sensor canon will give you more reach then the larger sony sensor.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:49:06 PM PST
"""
P&S optical viewfinder are not like slr which is TTL (through the lens). If you zoom on a P&S then the view on the viewfinder looks the same as you didn't zoom at all.
"""

Pardon... Even my obsolete Canon G-2 zooms the viewfinder when zooming the lens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:06:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:56:26 PM PST
® says:
Well that just rocked my socks off, niffty little feature. Probably why they can charge a few hundreds more then the s110/s100. Still not TTL, just an opening above the lens, but I will check closer next time. My old powershot sd400 didn't zoom. But the small size OVF is why I use the lcd more anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:55:46 PM PST
® says:
Dpreview did a review on Enthusiast compact camera, read for yourself to decide:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:35:42 AM PST
EdM says:
A few points. On "5. Kids. They move. They move Fast. Indoors & out."

For this, forget both RX100 and G15; use your T2i. Companies continue to improve the tech for small cameras, but neither compares to a DSLR with contrast detect auto-focusing.

For my eyes, the optical viewfinder of ANY P/S is too tiny. I do wear bifocals, and trying to look through such a tiny optical "tunnel" is terrible for me. For YOU - be sure you try a G15 out at a real store, to see if it's good enough for you/spouse.

On bright light: Note that small cameras typically work best in bright light, as far as getting 1) the focus right, and 2) shooting at a smaller aperture in that bright light, so the large depth-of-field will render small focus inaccuracies irrelevant. This is analogous to so-called "zone focusing", used a lot in "street photography" back in the days before autofocus existed.

With reasonably good AF and larger DoF, you might well be able to trust the camera's built in tech to work sufficiently well. Plus, as a guy, in bright sun I still like to review photos on the LCD at times. Thus, I tend to wear a panama or cowboy hat or some such, with a brim that can actually shade the LCD screen. Ladies have even greater choices in hats to use this technique.

For "4. I shoot lots of interior and hate to use flash unless absolutely necessary."
For interior shots, first use your DSLR. Second, the RX100 really is much better in low light than the G15, but this is only in relative terms. In detail, note the "use your DSLR". Still, there are exemplary low light shots in RX100 reviews ... FWIW.

There's a comparison site that does not test, but compares statistics. This is found here:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G15-vs-Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX100

Be sure to check out the tabs, high level, specs and score. The specs page says both have lens based image stabilization, although I have no idea which works better or better in what conditions.

I mainly shoot DSLRs, although we have and like an older, very small Canon ELPH. I recently got a Sony RX100, but it's too new to me to fairly review. OTOH, I have been able to shoot in bright light w/o much problem, even though I greatly prefer an optical viewfinder [and a full frame one at that].

The RX100 lacks a grip, so that might be worth noting as the G15 has a built in grip. OTOH, that's part of what makes the RX100 more pocketable. The larger sensor of the RX100 is in major part responsible for better low light performance over the G15. So, how pocketable do you want the camera to be?

Every camera choice is a compromise, and what works for me or anyone else should not define what you choose. Instead, choose the compromise that works best for you. Either camera is a good camera, and each will be better for some people in some situations.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions