Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

Digital Depot online ...Legit or not?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 112 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2012 10:22:51 AM PDT
These prices are to good to be true.A Nikon D90 body only for 299.00? Any thoughts?

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 10:28:27 AM PDT
Tom Martin says:
If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

From one review at ResellerRatings.com:

"DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! THEY ARE FRAUDULENT. During an order discussion on the phone, the line was disconnected. I tried to call back, but was on hold. My bank called me the next day to say Digital Hunter or DIGITAL DEPOT or whatever their new guise is, had (an) UNAUTHORIZED a charge . . ."

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 10:38:23 AM PDT
Just checked Resellerratings,only one review for digital depot online 4 stars out of 5.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:19:15 AM PDT
Tom Martin says:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=digital+depot+online+complaints

You can't say we didn't warn you!

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:23:31 AM PDT
Tom Martin says:
From the ripoffreport.com:

Digital Depot Online Rude rip off artists at their best, Internet

So, I just read about a 'customer' of Digital Depot Online who was ripped off and treated incredibly rude and Digital Depot Online responded by telling him they were super customer friendly and wonderful people. I couldn't take it, I had to sign up and respond - I am currently in a dispute with Digital Depot Online over inferior products shipped to me, credits not being received and shipping delays.

I kick myself everytime I think about making the decision to go with them which began with a bait and switch offer on a Canon pro camera. - The WORST part of the whole experience is how I have been treated; repeatedly - promised information and emails and they were never received, told I was obnoxious, rude, threatening, etc. Believe me, I am not and I wasn't. I finally resorted to having my staff members listen on the line so I had witnesses to what was going on. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS 'COMPANY'.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:35:06 AM PDT
Tom Martin says:
Order Verification = pushy up sale phone call

From DigitalDepotOnline.com

Order Verification:
Some orders may require verification. In order to protect our customers from credit card fraud or identity theft. This process usually will not cause any delay to your order, and generally requires either a simple call-back or a fax.
If we need to verify your order, we will contact you by phone or e-mail. Therefore, please leave both day and home phone numbers when you place your order, and keep your information current.

Shipping does not include the 5.25% insurance charge which be added to your account after the order has been placed.

Returns are accepted for 30 days from the date the merchandise is delivered to you for exchange only or a store credit.

Another from RipoffReport.com:

I ordered a Nikon Lens for $388.55 from Digital Connection Online. After I had provided all of my credit information I received a call from a salesman. He said, "the lens you bought won't work on your camera. It is a Japanese version made out of plastic. You need the real Nikon lens for $699.99". I said please cancel my order. He then tried to sell me a Sigma lens and all of it's virtues. I cancelled my order.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:37:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2012 11:38:35 AM PDT
Tom Martin says:
If it sounds to good to be true, it is TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:42:07 AM PDT
Thanks Tom you've saved me a lot of headaches. Great Info.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 3:38:18 PM PDT
E. Chasse says:
WOW! I am so glad my order didn't go through. Tom Martin, the very same attitude and bait and switch happened to me. When I called the guy was firing questions at me left and right. I knew immediately he was trying to confuse me intentionally. I told him not to place my order until I did some further research. When I called back, they said "Rick" was not available to speak with. However, the voice on the phone was the same one as "Rick" so this was red flag #2. I told this new person (probably Rick) that I did not want my order to be placed after all. He then told me he couldn't cancel my order, only Rick could. I asked to speak to a supervisor. "Josh" answered the phone after a long hold period. Funny, and you guessed it, Josh sounded exactly like Rick. Josh told me that I would have to pay a cancellation fee. When I asked why he said that my order had been placed and it was in their rights to charge the cancellation fee. I told him that the order was never placed so there should be no cancellation fee. He then called me rude. I informed him that I had taken out all of my money so if they tried to put through any type of fee, it would not go through. Thank goodness I did NOT use a credit card for the transaction. Oh and they tried to tell me that the product I initially wanted would not work because it was a foreign camera body and all in Japanese. When I asked why they did not advertise it that way, they didn't have an answer just said it was in the specs. They then tried to "upsell" me on a different body that was twice the price. These guys are idiots and should be reported! DO NOT BUY FROM DIGITAL DEPOT ONLINE!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 7:24:19 PM PDT
Gatorowl says:
Interesting, Google search provides a "shopping" view that provides prices for the merchandise that you search for. Invariably , the Internet or "Online" price is up to 25% (or more) lower than the price that reputable online merchants charge. The low-price merchant is always some unknown merchant like "Digital Depot."

I'm not sure what Google's policy is, but I warn unsophisticated shoppers to avoid Google shopping!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:29:49 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:
LIARS: BEWARE. I attempted to buy a NIKON camera body from ddo two days ago. today, they called to "confirm the order". During the 10 minute discussion they told me I was buying an imported camera (I reminded them that Nikon was a known import) and that all CDs and literature was in Japanese. I didnt care, so the next ruse was to inform me that the body did not come with battery or charger, which was avaialable for $199 each (amazon sells battery for $75 and charger for $49). They then said they recommended a D5100 over the D7000 (http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D7000)which was BS. They are a bunch of LIARs on all accounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:30:00 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:
LIARS: BEWARE. I attempted to buy an camera body from ddo two days ago. today, they called to "confirm the order". During the 10 minute discussion they told me I was buying an imported camera (I reminded them that Nikon was a known import) and that all CDs and literature was in Japanese. I didnt care, so the next ruse was to inform me that the body did not come with battery or charger, which was avaialable for $199 each (amazon sells battery for $75 and charger for $49). They then said they recommended a D5100 over the D7000 (http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D7000)which was BS. They are a bunch of LIARs on all accounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:30:07 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:
LIARS: BEWARE. I attempted to buy an camera body from ddo two days ago. today, they called to "confirm the order". During the 10 minute discussion they told me I was buying an imported camera (I reminded them that Nikon was a known import) and that all CDs and literature was in Japanese. I didnt care, so the next ruse was to inform me that the body did not come with battery or charger, which was avaialable for $199 each (amazon sells battery for $75 and charger for $49). They then said they recommended a D5100 over the D7000 (http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D7000)which was BS. They are a bunch of LIARs on all accounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:30:44 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:30:54 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:31:27 PM PDT
Dawg Fan says:

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:45:44 PM PDT
Tom Martin says:
Dude, we heard you the first time!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 5:55:41 AM PDT
"""
they told me I was buying an imported camera (I reminded them that Nikon was a known import)
"""

What they meant, however, is that they were selling one that was not imported by Nikon US... IE, /they/ went overseas and bought a shipment that was not meant to be sold in the US. US market models are imported by Nikon itself, and then distributed to dealers after the import.

No US warranty; if anything goes wrong you have to contact a service center in whatever country it was meant to be sold.

So... The comment about being an "import" was the one true statement they made.

Battery/charger condition I can't speak of -- it might be that in some of those overseas countries the battery and charger really are NOT packaged with the body.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 7:48:55 AM PDT
Robert Hsiao says:
Had the same experience with this bait and switch. Unfortunately, I fell for it. Took the offer for US model. Got charged for more money than the most expensive package offer currently available. In addition, it came with and battery and charger for additional cost of 199, which I have to pay for anyway with the import model. When I call the customer service, they were rude and patronizing. Finally pay the stiff penalty and rid of them forever. Now I am on the mission to punish these unsavory resellers.

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:20:51 AM PDT
Stay away from this company!!! Had double over 5 weeks to get my money back!!!!!

Posted on May 10, 2012 4:14:51 AM PDT
so why does amazon continue to allow this reseller to advertise on their site? i almost fell for it but when the 6+ alarm bells started ringing in my head while looking at their website, i googled them and found all this nastiness. should/can amazon be held responsible for what their "sponsored" advertisers do/don't do? i mean, they're collecting revenue and all, so if a company is fraudulent shouldn't amazon be on the hook?

Posted on May 18, 2012 3:05:38 PM PDT
bayray says:
I had a horrible experience with this rip off company. Luckily the credit card company flag them because of too many disputes. I told the salesman I did not want to purchase anything. Within to minuets of hanging up he charged me for a battery and a warranty for a camera I was not purchasing. He quickly had it mailed and is trying to charge a 10% restocking fee. What rip off and fraud. I cancelled my credit card. What a jerk. The salesman asked did I trust him or my credit card company. Wow they were right. Stay away from this clany they sell you the battery a.d charger that is aleady included.

Posted on May 26, 2012 10:27:58 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
Under US Postal Code, anything shipped to you that you did NOT order or request is legally your free gift and does not have to be returned - nor can they attempt to charge you for it. And if they press the issue, contact the post office. They've committed postal fraud, which is a federal offense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:46:08 AM PDT
We have had the exact same issue to the letter. WE live in GA the camera was sent to Los Angles. paid for second day air, and week later nothing. try to call them, they are incredibly rude, and started yelling.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 10:48:49 AM PDT
Ennes says:
stay away..shady as hell; changes prices after order placed and had to squeeze out it was a gray product with no warranty, charged my card anyway and a second charge for a higher amount and there was never a second order. claims no knowledge and asks for credit card statement to be sent to them when you call to ask for refunds.
would not go anywhere close to this merchant
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New York Camera Store Scams & What You Can Do About It 97 7 days ago
Best digital camera display in bright sun conditions 22 13 days ago
Digital cameras with date stamp 27 29 days ago
Looking for a camera to shoot family pics (toddlers) 5 Nov 10, 2014
Point and shoot for low light conditions 14 Nov 3, 2014
Point and Shoot Mid-Range Preferably Not Slow with Rechargeable Battery 33 Oct 8, 2014
Camera technology used in historical photos - HOW did they make such incredible photos? 6 Oct 5, 2014
digital camera that uses the AA batteries 72 Sep 23, 2014
Lens 5 Sep 12, 2014
Seeking advice on type of camera to buy my teenage son who is very interested in learning photography 29 Aug 7, 2014
Cameras with Date/Time stamps 0 Aug 7, 2014
A camera that date stamps as you take photos? 112 Aug 4, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions