Customer Discussions > Digital SLR forum

P510 memory cards

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 11:04:41 AM PST
Mr. Ed says:
I know the P510 can use SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.
What does code 10 and code 6 indicate?
Does a card stating "Flash Memory" make a difference?
Why is there such a large difference if price of the cards with the same number of GB's?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:44:01 AM PST
® says:
all sd cards are basically flash memory, just because one don't state doesn't mean much. Class 6 and 10 are the speed, I don't know what they are mbps but 10 is faster then 6. They are both fine for dslr in movie mode or continuous burst shooting. Just that you can see the class 10 you can download a little faster after shooting 4-8gb a day. No big deal, I just pick the class 10 since the price aren't so bad these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:37:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:38:22 PM PST
The main criteria is that a Class 10 card is rated for streaming (recording) video on an empty card -- the class doesn't say anything about how fast it is when fragmented by stills (with some deleted). Class 6 (4/2) cards are rated for fragmented access. The "Class" correlates to MB/s (Class 6 is 6 mega-BYTES per second).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

All SD cards tend be slow compared to devices that use CF cards. A slow CF card, these days, is around 133X (where X represents the speed of an audio CD). Class 10 equates to 67X, or half the speed of a 133X CF card (common CF cards are 20-30MB/s)

Price differential: Well, a card might fail testing at "class 10" transfer speeds, but pass at "class 6"... So the card is marked and sold as a slower speed card.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:33:24 PM PST
® says:
"for streaming (recording) video on an empty card"

I have recorded video on a class 6 card so people would be mislead that only class 10 card can.
CF is faster, but that is not what the OP has. Might as well bring up that XQD card are even faster then CF. They looks closer to SD card and don't have those pins holes.

I still get a class 10 over a class6, but some people want the cheapest stuff on earth at walmart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:54:27 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
After SD cards are made, manufacturers test the cards' average write and read speed. For cards whose write speed averages faster than 6 megabytes per second, they will label them as Class 6, and likewise for cards that averages faster than 10 megabytes per second for writing, they will be labelled Class 10. Manufacturing of SD cards used to yield mostly slower cards that i.e. Class 2 or 4 that can at minimum write 2 MB/s or 4 MB/s respectively. Nowadays the manufacturing process improves so much that Class 10 cards are the most cost efficient. If you get a new card, expect no less than a Class 10.

For HD video recording, Class 4 is the minimum. Most HD videos consume from 1MB/s to 2MB/s, so 4MB/s write speed is good enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:14:45 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
I want to add a little more detail here. If you compare the prices between SD cards, be sure to include shipping fees. Many third parties on Amazon here play this little trick. They sell cards at $1 a pop calling it "bulk price" but their shipping fee is jacked up to $10 per item. Then if you compare to the same card on sale by another seller for $7 with free shipping, the $7 is the better option.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:39:29 AM PST
JCUKNZ says:
I recorded all my video when I went overseas on a class two card but I don't argue with the experts that 6 is the minimum ... back then I just didn't know what I did was apprently wrong :-) These days I am using 10s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:47:37 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
Short clips of 1 to 2 mins are just fine. Class 2 cards can burst real fast 6 to 12 MB/s initially until it gets hot. You know microchip right. It gets slower when it gets hotter. If you record long enough, the camera might just crash or the files may get corrupted. But anyway, Class 2 cards are rarely that 2 MB/s unless it gets very hot.

Class 10 card's burst speed is 20 to 30MB/s.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:14:19 AM PST
JCUKNZ says:
Thanks Neo for that explanation ... since I used to shoot film and was an editor I tend to take shortish shots so that must be why it worked for me :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital SLR forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions