Customer Discussions > Digital SLR forum

Canon close up lens quesiton.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2012 9:58:07 AM PDT
M. Boyle says:
I am considering purchasing the Canon 500d close up lens. It states in the product description that with the lens I can focus approx. 19" from my subject and the description for my lens states that it focuses at 1.48' from my subject. So would I get any benefit from the close up lens?

Posted on May 16, 2012 3:23:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 3:32:37 PM PDT
JCUKNZ says:
You add the ability of the camera lens to that of the CU lens. But really I doubt if you will gain very much as the camera [ my pet way of working things out :-) ] is already 27 dioptre lens and adding another two dioptres will make it only a 29 dioptre rig. The camera will come in to just 1.35 inches ... not worth the expense I'm sure you will say :-)

A dioptre is 1000mm and the Canon 500 is I suspect a 500mm or 2 dioptre lens.
Your lens is roughly a 37mm lens or 1000/37= 27 dioptre.The best way to use the CU lens is on a longer focal length lens which perhaps normally only focuses to say 2 metres but with the 2 dioptre lens brings you in to 500mm [ 19 inches or so]. The narrow angle of view of the longer lens gives you the tight framing and other advantages of not being on top of your subject.

While you might be tempted by more powerful CU lenses be aware that image quality usually falls off with power of the lens so I normally only use a 2 dioptre CU lens but with a 280 or 430 camera lens. Typically with my 430 lens focused at infinity I am sharp at 19/20 inches, 500mm, but add in the limited focusing power of the lens I come in to 13 inches and a 1.5 inches across subject fills the sensor.

The unfortunate downside of my suggestion is that your longer lens is probably much larger and a CU lens to cover it will be more expensive. If you have magnifying glasses around your home I suggest you play with them to get the idea of how a CU lens works when added to your lens[es]. Then purchase the photographic quality lens and get good ones for best IQ.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:43:53 PM PDT
While you will be able to focus closer, the effect will not be that noticeable. The 250D would probably be more useful.

The number is the distance, from the front of the close-up adapter to the subject, in millimeters, when the camera lens is set to infinity. In common terms, a 500 is a +2 diopter, and a 250 is a +4 diopter (diopter is 1m/focal-length-in-meters; or 1000mm/focal-length-in-mm).

Close-up adapters are most effective when used with telephoto lenses -- since telephoto lenses often have closest focus distances of 4 feet or more, so being able to get under two feet is a significant gain. On shorter lenses, the lens often focuses almost as close, if not closer than simple +1 or +2 diopter adapters.

Posted on May 16, 2012 5:31:36 PM PDT
M. Boyle says:
Thanks for your responses. I was considering the Canon 500d close up filter to put on my 24-105mm l series lens, but it sounds like I would not gain much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:49:37 PM PDT
How much of an "enlargement" were you seeking?

It takes a +4 on a 300mm telephoto to achieve "life size" on the sensor. Of course, 250mm focal length means you have about 10 inches between the front of the lens and the subject.
Your reply to Dennis L. Bieber's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 16, 2012 7:11:37 PM PDT
M. Boyle says:
I was considering the purchase to replace my macros lens on days when I want to travel light. I have not seen the 250mm for sale in the 77mm size and from the previous answers I gather that the 500mm would not make much difference.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 7:55:19 PM PDT
Les Schmader says:
The Marumi achromatic close-up lenses are considered very good. They are here at Amazon in the 77mm +3 and +5 for @$108. There is also a +10 if you want to go that far.

Posted on May 17, 2012 11:38:30 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
The 250D is, as far as I can tell, only made in the 52mm and 58mm diameter thread sizes. The 500D comes in 52, 72, & 77mm diameter thread sizes.

Raynox makes multi-element close-up lenses as well... and apart from Canon & Raynox, I don't know of anyone else who makes close-up filters that control chromatic aberration (aka "color fringing"). See Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens

I have a Canon 250D that I use with my Powershot G1 X. I've never used the Raynox.

Posted on May 17, 2012 2:08:30 PM PDT
JCUKNZ says:
Just as you can put a close-up lens on a camera lens so also you can 'stack' CU lenses to achieve greater magnification The drawback of course is that the more glass you put up front the greater the likelihood of IQ loss. The better solution though it maybe somewhat clumsy in operation is the extension tube and with modern automatic lens with no manual control over aperture there must be electrical connections between camera and lens which makes the extension tube a pricey item.

It is also counter productive as while a 25mm extension tube works with a 24mm lens it hardly makes a difference with the 105mm lens ... as I have found when using my extension tubes and bellows with my 135mm prime lens ... the advantage comes from keeping back from the subject for lighting and safety considerations.

The 250 or four dioptre would not make that much difference either and you should be able to crop in editing achieve better magnification. The 105 is too short a lens to be useful, but others may disagree :-) 27+4= 31 has brought you to 1.27" ... personally I would stick with what you have and enlarge in editing :-) I don't really think CU lenses are for DSLRs on price and effectiveness grounds.

Perhaps you should hire a mule to carry your macro lens :-)

see ... http://jcuknz-photos.com/HELP/BELLOWSEXTENSION.html if you have the time :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital SLR forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  May 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions