Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Digital SLR forum

Best Point and Shoot help please?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 9:30:25 PM PST
Hello All,

I apologize if this is not done, but i could not find a point and shoot camera forum, so i thought I would ask you guys since these forums are quite active.

I am a recent BFA Communication Design graduate and I am hoping to find a point and shoot in my budget of $175 or less with which I can shoot close up shots of my portfolio work (that's the macro function right?), pictures for my blog and product photos for my upcoming etsy shop. It also needs to be mac OS X compatible (OS 10.4 and beyond).

For both the Etsy shop and portfolio I need to be able to take bright clear pictures for screen and print purposes on different backgrounds and different lighting situations.

I am no where near the skills of a professional photographer, but a photographer friend of mine has offered to give me some tips on set up and camera settings to get the best out of whatever camera I get. I hope some of you lovely people might be up for helping a newbie out :)

Thank you very much for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:19:11 AM PST
Les Schmader says:
By "Etsy", you mean the arts/crafts type display?

This seems like something that would require PASM modes to work with and the option of custom white balance. I'm not sure you can find those features in the under $200 range. I think you'd prefer a model in the "premium" class of P&S cameras.

Accurately representing wood grain, metal and jewelry is hard to do.

I'll suggest the Panasonic LX-5 at $249 as an example, but the prices are all over the place over the holiday season. You can hardly suggest a model and price before it changes.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black (OLD MODEL)

I just don't think you will be satisfied with anything less than one of the Premium class P&S cameras, especially if this is part of your business or profession.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 1:33:45 AM PST
Thank you kindly for the reply @Les Schmader :) My etsy goods will of the textile and paper variety. No wood or metal jewelry, however, i will look into the Panasonic. thank you. Suggestions from anyone else especially in my price range would still be most welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:10:33 AM PST
"""
I am a recent BFA Communication Design graduate and I am hoping to find a point and shoot in my budget of $175 or less with which I can shoot close up shots of my portfolio work (that's the macro function right?), pictures for my blog and product photos for my upcoming etsy shop. It also needs to be mac OS X compatible (OS 10.4 and beyond).
"""

If the "portfolio" is flat artwork, you are describing a "copy stand" configuration. For such work you really do NOT want to get really close in order to avoid perspective distortion -- better is to be a few feet (or more) away with a decent (long) focal length. Consider an 8x10" flat item to be photographed: if the camera is 1ft away from the center, then the corners are (first, compute the center to corner) sqrt(4*4 + 5*5), now compute camera to corner (since the first step would be to square the previous sqrt, we'll ignore that): sqrt(4*4 + 5*5 + 12*12) => 13.6" -- or 113% of the direct center distance. The corners will appear ~13% smaller. If, instead, you are three feet away, you get: sqrt(4*4 + 5*5 + 36*36) => 36.56" -- or only 101% further.

This applies to three-dimensional objects too, but is less noticeable at nominal ranges -- at close ranges you get those dopey looking dogs with noses larger than their bodies (which are often not visible behind the bulging muzzle).

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:37:28 PM PST
hi, i am trying to understand what you are saying @Dennis, but do you have a camera suggestion that will work for shooting flat work then? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:43:27 PM PST
I mainly meant to point out the "macro" may NOT BE a criteria.

For such work, having controllable lighting and a way to ensure the camera sensor is parallel to the work is more important... You want the lighting control to reduce reflection/glare, and the parallel-ness to avoid distortion and simplify focusing.

The next question would be: what size is the source material? Followed by: what size is the reproduction? {NatGeo quality is 300 pixels per inch of the printed image -- you should be able to scale that to the size of the repro vs size of the source}

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:56:19 PM PST
You could always check here..

If you want to see what everyone else is buying at amazon, and whats the best prices and movers and shakers.. hit the following amazon link:

http://goo.gl/z4uE1

It updates hourly, so you always get the latest info as far as cameras goes...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:52:36 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
I dig the LX5 for the money. Olympus XZ-1 is also a good candidate except the price is higher now; last week it was $199 new.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital SLR forum (770 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital SLR forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions