Customer Discussions > Digital SLR forum

canon t4i lens help:) please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 2:06:26 PM PST
T. Tucker says:
I own the canon T4i the kit lens is producing too much noise when taking pictures of my children I wanted to know what is a great lens for taking family portraits for little ones? Please and THANK YOU

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 3:33:27 PM PST
Just to be clear, do you mean 'sonic' noise and are you shooting stills? Which kit lens is it? If sound is an issue, there are a number of lenses with ultra-sonic motors. Canon labels theirs USM (though you have to be careful because some older USM lenses use a noisier version), Sigma uses the HSM designation and I believe Tamron calls theirs PZD or USD. These lenses use a crystal vibrating beyond the sound of human hearing to power their focusing motors.

When choosing a lens, it would be helpful to know how much you want to spend and what focal lengths you'll need. Are you shooting single portraits or taking group shots, for example. A prime lens (non-zoom) can be great for portraits but not as versatile as a zoom which can end up costing more. A small f-number is great for blurring out backgrounds and helpful in low light. For example, you might look at something like the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM or the pricier Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or perhaps the Canon 85mm f1.8 USM for head shots or Canon 50mm f/1.4. Some additional infromation will be helpful for whittling down the choices.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:47:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 3:51:51 PM PST
S. Owens says:
The big question here is "What is your kit lens?" Is it the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II or the 18-135mm IS STM? If it is the little kit lens it is not know for being fast or silent but if it is the bigger STM lens and it is making "too much noise" you may have a pretty big problem lurking.

If you're talking about image noise instead then it may have something to do with your camera's setting and how you are using it. With moving kids you may want a higher shutter speed which can require using a higher ISO setting with a slow lens but your camera should still produce moderately acceptable images just using the kit lens.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital SLR forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions