Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Disney forum

Is Monsters, Inc. 2 really necessary??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2010 4:11:47 PM PDT
Pixar recently confirmed that Monsters, Inc. 2 will be release on November 16, 2012. This one and Brave (previously The Bear and the Bow) will be out instead of Newt (apparently cancelled). I love Monsters, Inc. but I can't help to wonder if a sequel will do any good. This will mark the fourth Pixar sequel and the third in a row (after Toy Sotry 3 and Cars 2). I wonder if the originality is becoming scarce in the best animation studios of our time. Toy Story 2 is great and I'm pretty sure that T3 will be also good. I have some reservetions with Cars 2 and with this one because I think that they have fully satisfying endings and I only hope that they will be equal or better than the originals. I also hope that Pixar won't become Dreamworks releasing lots of sequels for the movies they release and more original projects come on the way.

I conclusion, Monsters, Inc. 2 as Cars 2 seem unnecesary to me. What do you think?

Posted on May 4, 2010 4:14:17 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010 4:20:24 PM PDT
why what?

Posted on May 5, 2010 1:27:57 PM PDT
Why is Monsters Inc. 2 even being made?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 1:30:50 PM PDT
Oh, yes I totally agree. Let's hope they don't mess it up.

Posted on May 6, 2010 8:03:53 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 6, 2010 11:46:54 AM PDT
Is anything/movie really necessary? No, but I'm sure plenty of children will be glad and Disney will have more stuff to sell & promote. I for one am still waiting for the sequel to The Incredibles, as it left off with the rise of the Underminer. Even a video game was made, but no sequel yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 1:44:34 PM PDT
I completely disagree. Pixar has been 10/10 so far releasing great and fantastic films (including the ones you mentioned) that are way above the competition (Dreamworks, Blue Sky). I have faith in TS3 based on how good are the previous two. I agree that both Cars and Monsters, Inc. have fully satisfying endings. No need for sequels there.

Posted on May 7, 2010 9:14:34 AM PDT
I've seen trailers for TS3 and in my opinion, animation improved from the 2 films.

Posted on May 9, 2010 6:05:31 PM PDT
Monsters Inc is one of Pixar's best films. I can't wait to see another chapter with Mike and Sully. I'm sure that the guys and gals at Pixar will make sure that it lives up to the first film. I never understand why anyone will complain about a film that they have not seen (and in this case has not even been made yet!) Give it a chance for God's sake!!

Posted on May 10, 2010 4:39:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2010 4:41:12 AM PDT
What Mr Rigney doesn't understand is that sequels have /overwhelmingly/ been major steps down from the original films. I've listed below what is probably a /complete/ list of every film whose sequel has been as good or better than the original. 99% are worse -- often much worse.

"Monsters, Inc" told an original * and compelling story. It's difficult enough to do this once. To do it twice -- with the same setting and characters -- is almost impossible. Note, for example, the two prequels and one sequel to "Lonesome Dove" (the novel). They are pretty much disasters, and add little to the story.

As Walt Disney said... "You can't top pigs with pigs." I'm not willing to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt. It should be making "new" films, not trying to extend the franchise of past successes.

Alien / Aliens
Back to the Future / 2 (I'll take flak on this, but most people don't appreciate just how good the second film is. See "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. #3 wraps up the series nicely. Note how the second and third films ultimately focus on Marty's attitude problems -- not simply getting the characters in and out of trouble. They are legitimate dramas.)
Batman / Batman Returns
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight
Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein
Godfather / Godfather 2
Raiders of the Lost Ark / The Last Crusade **
Star Wars 4 / 5
Superman / Superman II (I'm ignoring the director's moments of stupidity in the second film.)
Terminator / Terminator 2
Toy Story / Toy Story 2

Some of these sequels would be worthy additions to a list of "best films of all time".

* The /basic idea/ isn't original, though. As with "Toy Story" (which is "about" animism), it riffs on the myth of monsters under the bed, in an original way.

** I've skipped "Temple of Doom" because of the mixed opinions about it. It's quite a good adventure film -- but why did they have to bring Willie along?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 6:42:13 AM PDT
I completely agree with you William. Though there are sequels that are equal or better than the originals (you listed most of them), most sequels are steps down (many huge steps down) from their predecessors. Monsters, Inc. as Cars have good, compelling satisfactory stories and offer a satisfactory closure. I think Toy Story 2 was a huge risk but it was worth it. Based on how good the previous two are, I have faith in TS3. But to start doing sequels on other wonderful Pixar films is to strech luck a little bit. We'll have to see what they do.

Posted on May 25, 2010 5:26:16 AM PDT
How can Wall-E and Up! Be disappointing? Those are great movies and future classics!

I am always pretty skeptical about sequels, especially when the original one was so good and had a fitting ending. I'll probably stop being skeptical by the time I watch the preview. Either way PIXAR is awesome and I love every single movie of theirs.

Posted on May 25, 2010 6:08:33 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 10:39:33 AM PDT
So I guess that you don't like Bambi or the Lion King because is not "plausible" for animals to talk? Or you don't like Aladdin because genies do not exist? Or The Little Mermaid because mermaids are mythological creatures? Come on they are animated films, they are FAMILY films. Like if kids or their parents will care what is real and what is not. That is the beauty of animation, to expand your imagination and create practically anything. Wall-e and Up are great films, they give you a message of hope and that life continues if you are willing to fight for what you want. Both are FANTASTIC.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 10:43:32 AM PDT
You also need to understand that family animated films (which are done by disney, pixar, dreamworks, blue sky and more) can't be dramas like Gone With the Wind. They need to have a comedic tone in order to appeal to families. Gone with the Wind is not a film children will want to see.

Posted on May 25, 2010 1:37:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 1:38:44 PM PDT

Posted on May 26, 2010 4:28:13 AM PDT
@ William: Wow. In no way am i trying to knock your opinion of these movies and your criteria of what makes a good film, but come on! You are wound a bit too tight and come off a bit too pretentious to be discussing animated movies. People see movies like these because they AREN'T Plausible (your arguement against WALL-E, which i admit takes a bit more to watch than other Pixar films). I can only attest that my "obsession" for Pixar comes through the complete package, i.e. the story, the new techniques used for the animation, the voice acting. If you are only judging these movies for one aspect, then you are missing out on so much more.

As for the topic of this thread, I am all for any attempt that Pixar wants to make into the world of sequels. The crew at Pixar have stated repeatedly that they would only be willing to make a sequel if they can have a story that is as good as if not better than the original. Looking at the high quality films that they have released, i have no doubts about any sequels tarnishing their record.

Posted on May 26, 2010 5:13:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2010 5:14:44 AM PDT

Posted on May 26, 2010 9:18:57 AM PDT
08girl says:
I'm apparently not as educated as some when it comes to deeply discussing movies and their storylines. But from what I've read, I'm gonna have to side with Don Vito and Nathaniel. My main thing, William, is that I don't understand how you can bring out these points in "Up" that are too fake, but yet you're okay with Disney movies like Snow White - where she's risen from the "dead" by a kiss - and Beauty and the Beast - where a man is transformed into a beast and his castle servants transformed into talking appliances. It's all completely fake; I'm not sure that you can rate things as "less fake" or "more fake". It's all pretend, whether you're talking about the dog's collars or the fact that the guy lifts his house off the ground with a thousand balloons. I thought "Up" was a really cute movie, through and through. Never saw "Wall-E" so I can't comment on that. I don't know, maybe I"m missing your point, but the "fake" part is what stood out to me as not making much sense.

Regarding sequels to movies: I'm definitely skeptical, especially when it comes to Disney, who, in my opinion, hasn't made a truly good sequel yet. I prefer to stick to the originals and pretend that there are no sequels (when it comes to Disney). :) Pixar may be able to pull it off, I don't know. But so far, no matter who has been the creator, I could probably count on both hands how many sequels I thought were truly good.

Posted on May 26, 2010 9:37:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2010 9:38:17 AM PDT

Posted on May 26, 2010 10:23:18 PM PDT
its about time pixar did some sequels,they create characters ,make people love them then make more,its just constantly new things with americans.for anyone who collects merchandise such as me and millions of kids its nice to have a poster up or whatever of characters without yet even more coming out.its just all a scam creating new characters to have more toys out and more everything.for people that love cars and monsters inc its great to see them again.i even have watched the cars toons over and over but a new movie would be even better, and when they make new stuf you get rubbish like ratatouille and wall.e ,toy story 2 was 100x better than toy story 1 so clearly sequals arent a problem.as for disney never making a great sequel what about aladdin 2 and 3 and lion king 2 which was way better than 1. the idea of a franchise or seres is to make more than 1.no one wants to see constant barrage of new characters ,true fans want to see more and more of the characters they know and love. its like the people who made shrek went and made planet 51, whats the point,just make another shrek,why make yet more characters its just pointless and does peoples head in who tries to remember all their names

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 10:28:22 PM PDT
cars is not only the best pixar film its easily one of if not THE best animated film of all time.i have watched it so many times ,up was also amazing,totally emotional journey with great humour all the way. wall.e was rubbish i agree on that but to hate cars and up seem near impossible considering up won so many awards,i think your on your own with not liking up. anyone who loves films always wants to see sequels,whats the point in falling in love with a character to only go on and make yet more random films.any normal sane person would rather have 10 films of the same characters rather than 10 different ones,then you get to follow that character

Posted on May 27, 2010 3:44:58 AM PDT
"You need to do more reading and thinking, so that you bring something more than "I like it" or "I don't like it" to a discussion."

I honestly can't believe you're spending so much time trying to convince people that "Up!" sucked because the talking dog collars were not plausible. Jesus.

Posted on May 27, 2010 5:14:31 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Disney forum (83 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Disney forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  May 4, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions