Customer Discussions > Dog Psychology forum

New dog/older cat issues

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2009 3:10:39 PM PDT
Whitewolf says:
How do I get my new rescue Pom to stop chasing my older, resident cat? I have had the dog for over 3 months, now and I have to keep them separated or all pandemonium breaks loose!
The cat is 3 times as big as the Pom and has his claws, but as soon as the Pom starts barking, he freaks out!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2009 7:29:40 AM PDT
Saidie says:
I wish I knew! We have a rescue Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier pup. We've had her since March 1st.
Our Orange cat Buddy is 13 years old and Siamese Natasha is 12 years old. Natasha is dead set against this puppy. Buddy would like to make friends but Natasha who was raised by Buddy is having none of it. She interferes with the friendship. Saidie, our pup is now one year old and weighs 27# and gets a kick out of the Natasha's antics and eggs her on. No one ever gets hurt but my goodness the commotion in the house. I don't know if I should forbid the activity or just let it happen. I can separate until Saidie is in a different frame of mind or give her a bone to chew to distract her. There's no talking to Natasha! She's always ruled the roost so to speak. Even Buddy. Do you break it up? Do you prevent it? We have no claws so there won't be an injury unless Natasha bites her. That hasn't happened.

Posted on Aug 9, 2009 7:43:07 AM PDT
Saidie says:
Sorry, I just remembered something else I heard after we were in this "never going back" situation....It was said that cats and dogs may learn to get along if they grow up together...but in our case Saidie is young and Buddy and Natasha are adults...is there hope?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2009 2:37:28 PM PDT
Whitewolf says:
We have now been trying to get out new Pom and the older cat used to each other by my husband and I each holding one of them and them inching closer and closer together. The Pom gets treats when he does not bark.
So far, we have gotten about 3 feet apart before the cat starts growling and the Pom starts to loose it. I guess we will keep doing this and see what happens. Once the weather gets cold, the cat will want to be indoors most of the time and then I am not sure what will happen. Will them finally give up and become friends?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2009 5:40:05 AM PDT
Saidie says:
I hope they become friends. The more I think on this I wonder what kind of friends can cats and dogs be. I know the pictures of a dog and sleeping together tugs at my heart. I can see Buddy and Saidie getting closer and if Saidie is absorbed in chewing she is quite focused and Buddy the cat will come very close and just watch her until he falls asleep or as asleep as cats get. This has taken five months. Patience is a virtue.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Dog Psychology forum (11 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dog Psychology forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions