Customer Discussions > Dogs forum

electric dog fence

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2010 8:27:07 PM PDT
Joelle Schad says:
Which would be "the best" dog fence for someone who has 4 boxers. All I need is for the dogs to stay inside the electric gates when a car is coming in (or out) of the property.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 2:35:53 PM PDT
Have you thought about a double entrance, so one gate is always closed at all times? That would be the best method I could think of.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 6:47:36 PM PDT
J. Ramos says:
I use petsafe for our 71 pound pitt-mix and our 5 pound chi..... We use the wireless one. I love it. They used to escape in two separate areas of our property. If you buy it at petco, they give you a month to return it if you dont like it. Like i said before, I love it, it worked great for us, now I can leave the door open and not worry about the dogs escaping when no ones pay attention..... Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 6:48:16 PM PDT
J. Ramos says:
I use petsafe for our 71 pound pitt-mix and our 5 pound chi..... We use the wireless one. I love it. They used to escape in two separate areas of our property. If you buy it at petco, they give you a month to return it if you dont like it. Like i said before, I love it, it worked great for us, now I can leave the door open and not worry about the dogs escaping when no ones pay attention..... Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 6:48:24 PM PDT
J. Ramos says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 11:20:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 12, 2010 8:10:19 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 9:22:47 AM PDT
I don't like the idea of an electric fence any more than the next person, BUT.....we were given a little hound dog pup with some leg issues - it was either we took her or she would have been put to sleep. How do you say no to a sweet little hound dog face? We live out in the country but our problem was we have a neighbor that likes to shoot dogs he doesn't know or want on his property, so I couldn't just let her run loose. We had to fence in our backyard when we moved into this house because we had a Doberman Pinscher and we couldn't get insurance on our house unless we did. As most people with hound dogs know, the fence was not enough to contain my little girl. So we opted for an electronic collar and wired fence. We taught her her boundaries (4 ft from the fence), put out visual markers for her, and gave her treats and lots of praise when we put that collar on her. She is now 5 yrs old and it's been several years since she's gotten out. Even if she runs out the back door without her collar, you can call her back to you to put on her collar and she's happy as a clam! She's not stupid and if it was harming her in any way I don't think she'd be dancing around us to put it on.

If your dogs are staying where they are supposed to except for the gates being open - I like Girlee-Whiteshoes idea if it's feasible for you. But don't be afraid of using the ecollars - it's all in HOW you use the tools you're given. I don't know about the "invisible fences". Too many stories of dogs getting on the wrong side of the fence and not being able to get back where they're supposed to be with disaster being the end result. Still, it's what works best for you and yours.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 6:59:25 PM PDT
whoa why did amazon erase strega's post? ....just because strega preferred a standard fence over an electric one? damn seems way overboard to me.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 7:14:42 PM PDT
Wow so anything slightly against something amazon sells gets deleted? So my post here I'm sure will also be deleted...lol ok amazon, careful operating this way. Ya might make more enemies than friends...

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 12:54:46 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Amazon's standards ARE a little bit weird.

Some acquaintances with wolf hybrids thought that the only sensible electric fence type was the kind that kept the warning on after the beasts got out. As opposed to the kind that a dog could run at, get through and be happy running free, but--obviously--hate to brave the warnings to they came back through. Seems like they are wireless, work from a centrally located transmitter, and right expensive I've never tried it.

And as far as the electric training collars go, I want to see a small child train the collar's owner with one.

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 2:14:18 PM PDT
Amanda, I don't understand you're statement "And as far as the electric training collars go, I want to see a small child train the collar's owner with one." We must keep one on our hound dog - she will NOT stay within a fenced yard and the result of letting her run the neighborhood is certain death - whether it be the highway or the neighbor with the shotgun. Which would you choose?

Posted on Oct 16, 2010 12:13:56 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
My blue-tick ended up a house dog (partly because we lived in a city with leash laws). He was a happy dog. Not all of mine have been.

We may be talking about two things. The (invisible) electric fence. And the collar that you manipulate by hand.

I was talking about the latter. But there are a few horror stories around about the former as well. Some dogs are fine. I think that Temple Grandin mentions an electric fence inside the visible one quite positively.

One bad thing, if you have occasional marauding dog packs in your area--they can be around, even in the city--is that electric fences, when that's all there is, will do nothing to help your dog avoid them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 9:40:04 AM PDT
I don't know too much about these products, but my Aunt had an electric collar to keep her dog from going off too far and it worked great for her. I'd agree with Intlehouse, its probably all about HOW you use the products..

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 12:24:59 PM PDT
I just purchased a Petsmart wired fence which I wove into my existing chain link fence. I have a 10 month old boxer who what jumping my fence and a yorkie poo who was digging under or slipping through gaps. We have been using it for about 2 1/2 weeks now and all is well! No one has even tried to escape and I am so happy because I live on a very busy street and have had several dogs killed when they got out!

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 2:20:14 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
But what do you do when you get to a gate, when you weave the electric fence into the existing fence?

My yard has three gates--two big enough for a small tractor, at least.

(and I wish I had had a video camera in hand when a couple of the Evil Puppies just climbed up and over the "puppy play pen." It was very very funny)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 5:17:54 PM PDT
Does anyone know if the wireless fence work for Pomeranians that are 4 to 6 pounds?

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 4:51:56 PM PDT
vms77 says:
I had an invisible fence professionally installed by a very popular company. The owner claimed that he had a 100% success rate keeping dogs in bounds. My labradoodle never obeyed the fence and chose to run through almost every time i let her out. After speaking w/ the owner(head trainer) multiple times he recommended that i take my dog on a leash to the fence line and hold her in the shock area for a "minute". I absolutely refused to do this to my dog so I got excluded from his success percentage because i didn"t follow his training recommendations . Needless to say I now have a traditional fence and a few less dollars in my pocket. Just watch who you deal with.

But to answer the question, I have known many people whose dogs do absolutely great with this type of fencing. Invisible Fence and Dog Watch are very reputable companies, they will install the fence and do lessons with you and your dog and they are there for support. I also know many people who do home install of the Pet Safe brand fence with very good results. Unfortunately none will keep other dogs out of your yard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 5:04:23 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Electric training collars--not the same as the fences.

With the fences, you are supposed to walk your dog around so that she knows where it is going to signal.

With the training collars, YOU have the transmitter in your hands.

I have friends who swear that they don't hurt the dog, just get her attention, "I've tried it on my hands". But if you are trying to teach a two-or-three step behavior, I keep imagining putting the collar around the neck one of the true believers, and then, after a long discussion with a child about what we are trying to teach, send the collared one out for a lesson.

e.g., walk around the garden not through it before you pick up the mail. No words allowed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 5:10:29 PM PDT
vms77 says:
This thread IS about fences not remote training collars right??

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 5:05:13 AM PDT
Yes, Venessa, this thread IS about fences. We can debate the electric training collars til the sun goes down, but that's not what Julie Petering asked about. We have a wired fence for my little hound dog as I stated in a previous post. I have yet to talk to anybody that has had the invisible fence that it's ever been successful. Now, that's not to say it doesn't work. But I think the idea is to let the dog know it's boundaries whatever "fence" you use. We used the little white flags at first to let Star know her boundary line. I put the collar on her (with alot of praise everytime we put it on her); put a leash on her and walked the yard with her; pointed out the flags to her and let her know what they were for. It's been two years now since she last escaped. She is happy, healthy and always ready to go outside.

Amanda, to answer your "fence and gate" question, you drop the wire to the ground, run it along the ground then back up to the line on the fence on the other side of the gate. We have three gates in our very large backyard and the wire is pinned to the ground and lightly covered with dirt or buried in the grass.....it all works, it's all good.

As I said, Amanda, we can debate the e-collar for eons. I understand your thoughts on the collar. Many people misuse or abuse these collars. I really drug my feet deciding to use one, but when I weighed the consequences I just had to try the collar. Besides the wired fence collar, we now own an e-collar. I have a Doberman that insists on eating poop (any and all that she can find including chicken poop when she's outside the yard), dirt, sticks, grass, mushrooms growing in the yard, etc. Some say well that's a dog for you and I say yeah, but she's a house dog and what goes in, must come out and after six years of cleaning up after she's had diarrhea or vomited everywhere that e-collar has done the trick. And before anybody says "if she's eating all that crap then she is trying to tell you she is deficient in some mineral, etc" she's not. I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop. It's a behavioral issue and what has made her quit is the e-collar. I hate it, but it came down to finding a solution or my husband was going to put her down. Now we are happy and she is happy because we can love her and keep her as the family member she is. So, decide. Death or an e-collar.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 9:05:11 AM PDT
meg r says:
Thank you for all of the advice here. My almost 2 year old hound mix and her almost 2.5 year old pointer/spaniel mix brother have a huge fenced in yard but have decided to get bored or see a rabbit/squirrel on the outside and they are now jumping the fence and taking off (once every 3 weeks or so). Last night they ventured as far as a half mile away to the main road near our house and luckily a nice person stopped with some dog food to coax them away from the road until my husband (who was sprinting out to find them) got there. Besides the safety of my dogs to worry about, I have an 11 month old at home and can't always go after the dogs at a moments notice. I think we have no choice but to put in an electric/wired fence inside of our yard's fence. Any recommendations on types of to use? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 4:08:17 PM PDT
Hi Meg r! We use PetSafe wireless fence/collars and I highly recommend it. We have a hound and the only way we've kept her in her big backyard was this system. It's not inexpensive (I also recommend getting the collars that you set the level of correction that works best for your dog), but then neither is a vet bill for an injured dog or the emotional cost of losing your fur babies! I also recommend using the little flags to get them started. Hope this helps!

Posted on May 2, 2012 4:29:05 PM PDT
Sbunny says:
I have a 10 month old German Shepherd who is hard to keep in our yard. Our property is such that a normal fence is impossible, due to driveways and a embankment on one side. We have had to take our cat to the vet to remove shotgun pellets and am afraid for the dog. What can we do?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:12:55 PM PST
We are in the process of getting a Weimaraner puppy after Christmas-NOT at Christmas. We have had Weims in the past and know their energy level. I am seriously thinking of getting an electric fence put in to kind of cordon off some of the yard so he can be outside and play. However, we live in Wisconsin, ergo snow. Some people have advised me that when the snow covers the fencing, it not longer is usable. Has anyone had that experience, and if so, is there anyway to overcome it? Is one fence brand better than another?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:07:50 AM PST
There are other electronic 'fence' options. You do not have to rely on a 'wired' fence - specially if you train from puppy-hood. I did a search on Amazon for "wireless dog fence systems" and came up with alot of items. PetSafe is an excellent brand. I have found their customer service to be excellent and their products consistent. We have a PetSafe above ground fence system and it does the job nicely. Once we showed her the boundaries (we used the flags for the first couple of months - but it only took a few days for her to learn). We did not set it on a hard shock, but supervised her at first and would tell her to 'get back' (from the fence) when we heard the beep-beep-beep. She's never jumped over or dug under the fence - she will charge out the gate if we accidentally leave it open regardless of the collar, but the fence has served it's purpose with no adverse effects to our girl. Anyway, do your research....read the reviews. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Dogs forum (574 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dogs forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions