Customer Discussions > Dogs forum

How long should a dog be on antibiotics after surgery?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2009 10:53:46 AM PDT
L. Albert says:
How long should a dog be on antibiotics after surgery?

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 11:08:30 AM PDT
Your vet will have a standard recommendation for the length of the antibiotic course your dog should be on. I think the more important question is, "How long should a dog be on probiotics after being on antibiotics?" The answer to THAT one will help you avoid years of compromised immune system, allergies, skin conditions, and food sensitivities.

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 1:26:08 PM PDT
E. Pettit says:
Antibiotics should be taken until they are gone. If they give you a bottle and tell you to administer it every 12 hours then do so until the bottle is gone. You can always call your vet and double check.

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 1:26:16 AM PDT
J. Tancredi says:
It depends on the length of the surgery but the typical is 7-14 days. Antibiotics are a wonderful thing when used properly and are the sole reason for the increased life expectency of all animals, us included. The body will naturally balance itself back into proper equilibrium, no probiotics needed, just a healthy diet.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2009 10:16:40 AM PDT
R.R. says:
7-10 days

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 2:11:31 PM PDT
L. Albert says:
The vet gave me 30 days worth for an abscess and hygroma removal . Does that seem excessive? I worry about giving him too many antibiotics.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 4:35:28 PM PDT
Michelle says:
All antibiotics are different - they have different indications, different mechanisms of action, and different dose recommendations. I'm sure your vet chose the appropriate antibiotic and dose.

However...if you have a question you should call your vet and ask, not start a discussion on amazon.com when you don't know the credibility of the people answering. I am not saying this to "bash" anyone, it is just common sense. I am a vet student...and I would not presume to answer this question online without knowing any of the history, and perhaps not even then, because I am not qualified yet.

All of the vets I know would be happy to explain why they chose a particular treatment plan. Please for the sake of your dog, do not take the advice of anyone whom you do not know and trust, and just call your vet and express your concerns.

Posted on Apr 3, 2009 5:58:39 PM PDT
antibiotics for pets are usually the longer dose than the newer ones for people, but you should use up all that your vet gave you because it takes a while to make sure all infection and domant that can cause same is killed off. Just because the top of the sutures heals fast it still takes a while longer the deeper the cut line was and what the surgery was for also enters into it as well. Someone mentioned probiotics... good idea.. for people and pets on antibiotics for long lenghts.. helps to make sure you have enough of the good bugs in your body and kills off the bad ones you don't want. There are a number of good products out there for dogs and cats, you can find some at Doctors Foster and Smith online as well as the on line pet pharmacies too.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 1:30:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2009 1:31:40 PM PDT
If you cease antibiotics before all targeted flora has been eradicated, the remaining bacterium and their future generations will be immune to that particular medication in the future.

The bacteria in your dog will undoubtedly be shared by yourself and your family, as well.

I find it helpful to administer probiotics while giving antibs, just try to space them out so the meds don't automatically wipe out the pro-bs. I like to open an Acidopholous capsule on my dogs food and wet it a little with bottled water. I think tap water would kill the Acido, but I could be wrong. You should be able to find it pretty cheap. The reason I wet it is so it doesn't just go up my dog's nose while he eats.

My dog also loves plain, nonfat yogurt in his food. It doesn't seem to cause any dairy type troubles for him. I think the culture helps with that, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009 9:08:11 AM PDT
gilly8 says:
to Albert, I think with all due respect you are mixing up apples and oranges. Without antibiotics your dog would probably be dead...and so would many of us who survived childhood
strep throats (which can lead to Rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis of the kidneys, and be fatal) and manyother illnesses that we all now think of as "minor" due to both antibiotics
and vaccines. Its true for both humans and our animal companions. Overuse of antibiotics in itself is bad mainly in that this is how the antibiotics become resistant to the bad
bacteria (they don't work against viruses at all). Or, if a person, or a person treating their pet, takes only a portion of the antibiotic and stops because they feel better, or think
the pet is better, the surviving bacteria are now "superbugs" ---that is, they have survived the antibiotic, probably several generations of them (the bacteria) have been born and
died, and the strongest have survived, and now prepared to go out into the world,so to speak, where the usual antibiotic will NOT affect them. THATS much more of a risk to society
as a whole, human and domesticated animals, by overuse or partial use of antibiotics. SO...if your vet gave you 30 days worth, I assume he had a good reason, perhaps the dog
had a severe infection, or one hard to kill...at any rate, if you're concerned, I agree with the other poster, talk to your VET, not anonymous people on Amazon, get his opinion, ask
about probiotics if you're interested, I think they're harmless, and MAY help...but I don't think antibiotics leave people or pets with life-long allergies, or the other problems one
person mentioned, and that is an example, in my opinion, of someone scaring people away from using an important health tool,due to frightening stories that are not proven; they're
based on New Age "beliefs" and nothing scientific; no studies etc. Myself, when finishing up antibiotics, I do eat extra yogurt, and do the same, ie, give yogurt to my pets after
they finish antibiotics, figuring it cannot hurt, and may help put back into their intestines the "good" bacteria that has probably been "wiped out" by the antibiotics. Someone
with a good immune system will most likely be ok, and redevelop the "good" bacteria over time with eating a normal diet. If you go to a Health Food store, guess what, they'll
find LOTS of things to sell you to get your body back to a harmonious state...they WON'T mention none of these vitamin/herbal items are tested in any way by the FDA...that
may not seem important to most people, but there have been numerous deaths because MOST vitamins/ herbal supplements are made in 3rd world countries, in factories that
are NOT under any kind of standard of basic cleanliness that most of us would expect for something we are going to ingest. Also, when the well respected organization Consumer
Report studied---a double blind study, as it should be--vitamins and herbs from various companies---the ones from overseas consistantly had none of the active ingredient; or
less than reported; or too much. There was NO standardization. So, keep this is mind when you take these herbs/ vitamins or give them to your pets (or kids!). I think
yogurt is safe, my animals love it; and it contains natural ingredients that do live in the intestine and are normally destroyed by antibiotics. Beyond that, however, I don't,
as an RN think its really necessary to add huge amounts of all sorts of other unknown, unproven "items"---not sure what to call them. But do have your dog take all the
ordered antibiotics, if really upset, ask your vet why so much/ so many. Best of luck w/ your dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009 9:15:05 AM PDT
gilly8 says:
to Parker lewis, You're correct with your first statement about what happens if you stop antibiotics too soon. But, most diseases in dogs and cats are NOT able to go
or be passed to people. There are a few exceptions, as I understand it, for example, little kids can pick up ringworm from playing where dogs or cats have defecated.
Then they both (the pet and child) need treatment. I believe dogs can get strep throat, though its rare, and in some cases where a family keeps passing it all around, they've
found the dog needs treatment too to stop the cycle! But very few things are spread from cats and dogs to people. Rabies is one; which is why the law mandates
vaccination for the animals. And lastly, you're right again, the yogurt carries the acidophilus which helps bring back "good bacteria" in the intestine, and has nothing
to do with the much overrated "dogs and cats can't have dairy" thing. (Some can/ some can't/ its not a hard and fast rule.) Some of the newer yogurt comes with probiotics in it as well.

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 11:01:58 AM PDT
L. Albert says:
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I posted this because I do not trust the vet. They performed additional, unnecessary procedures on my dog without my consent. Then he was encouraging me to purchase some expensive equipment to aid in the dog's recovery, that again seemed unnecessary because the vet couldn't explain the benefit to me. I just thought the number of pills was yet another way to get money from me. I ended up giving him all the pills because I care for the dog, I was just looking for some advice to back me up on my argument with the better business bureau.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 10:27:08 AM PDT
I'm a licensed veterinary nurse so I can tell you that it depends on many things. First, some surgeries don't require ANY antibiotics and some do. It depends on your vet and the type of surgery performed as well as the type of antibiotic. Some antibiotic therapies last longer than others so just be sure to FINISH the antibiotic as prescribed. For an abscess, I can already tell you that your pet will definitely need antibiotics and possibly for an extended amount of time depending on where it is and how bad it is. The important thing to remember is that your vet went to school for at least 8 years to get his or her veterinary degree and license and though as Americans we like to question what we are given-which is sometimes good, it is never a good idea to deter from the vet's instructions because I can almost guarantee there is a reason though you might not know what it is or be able to google it. If you are questioning your veterinarians judgment and/or level of care, it's probably best you find a different veterinarian rather than keeping the one you don't trust and intermittently complying with his/her instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2009 10:30:47 AM PDT
Just to clear things up, ringworm is a skin fungal infection, not an intestinal parasite infection.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2009 8:30:46 PM PDT
Strega says:
As long as the vet says they should.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 4:23:34 PM PDT
R. Parsons says:
Your question shouldn't be posted here. You should get a second opinion with a different veterinarian. It can and would clear up any doubts and concerns you have, and only a licensed veterinarian who has reviewed your pets medical record is going to be able to discern if anything was "fishy".

As far as the term for antibiotics, it depends on the type of bacteria. There are some types that do require up to a month on very strong antibiotics. I worked for a vet and remember one dog who was cut by a dog groomer's scissors which were not cleaned properly, and that dog had to come in daily for injectable antibiotics for about a month because it was such a severe and nasty form of bacteria. It just depends. Did the vet do a culture and sensitivity of the purulent material? Was it the doctors decision to prescribe those particular antibiotics for that term or was it a recommendation from the outside lab doing the culture? Or did he even do a culture? There is not enough information to base any solid answers on. You need a second opinion from a veterinarian.

As far as vets doing unnecessary procedures, unfortunately there are those who do that. Generally, you'll find that type of greedy behavior among the larger corporations. Here in Phoenix, AZ, the Pet's Choice animal hospital chain was widely known for that type of practice, so much so that many vets who were initially excited to join with Pet's Choice actually broke their contracts and abandoned the very practices they built just to get out from under such corporate behavior which seemed to only be a major problem here in AZ. I've heard dozens and dozens of veterinarians all tell the same story and the same experience with Pet's Choice as well as other veterinary corporations and chains. PetsMart here in Phoenix was pushing puppy vaccination packages and recommending puppies be vaccinated every 1 to 2 weeks from a very early age. The half dozen vets that I worked for were all appalled since vaccinating that frequently can actually do serious harm to the immune system, burn it out so to speak, and basically leave the puppy with no immunity at all. PetsMart was more concerned about the money. They were also selling and implanting their own brand of microchips that didn't run on a standard frequency meaning the animal shelters wouldn't be able to detect the microchips when they scanned lost pets. I confronted PetsMart and spoke to them, they claimed they were going to be shipping out scanners to all shelters and animal hospitals. Several years later we still hadn't recieved one from them. It's a shame, but like I said, avoid the corporations and chain stores for anything but food purchases and life or death emergencies only.

It's difficult to know who to trust, but I avoid corporations since they are generally more concerned with making money than providing good service. I speak as an insider with 12 years of experience in the veterinary industry as a small animal nurse. I've heard much worse things than you could ever imagine.

It's also unfortunate that in our society lawsuits have gotten out of control. Lawyers actually take classes now on how to sue a veterinarian. Whether the veterinarian did anything wrong or not, they are more and more often getting sued. And, because of this, veterinarians are being told by all the major organizations out there to "CYA" in regards to everything. You may get annoyed that your vet recommends things you think are not needed, but someone out there is probably suing someone for not recommending it. It's unfortunate that veterinarians can't just do their job and do it well anymore without pressure from corporations to be dishonest and without a litigious society causing them to have to add "covering your a**" into the equation of medical practices.

The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is one organization that does require animal hospitals to live up to certain standards of medicine, record keeping, and cleanliness, but it's no guarantee. Ask your friends and coworkers if they can recommend a veterinarian they know can be trusted. A second opinion is the only way you are going to know for sure, but you will need a copy of your medical records so the second vet can review them. That's the only way you're going to get any answers that are of any value to you.

Good luck, and I hope your dog heals up well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2009 6:54:19 AM PDT
Any bacteria that happens to be existing on or in the dog will become resistant to unfinished antibiotics. This includes Staph and Strep.

A dog does not have to become ill from a bacteria for it to be affected this way. For example, your dog may have Staph present on him/her, as you might also. In fact it is likely. While you may or may not be experiencing health problems from this bacteria, it is still there. Say your dog doesn't finish the antibiotics. The existing Staph will become immune and pass the immunity to other Staph it comes in contact with.

Post-op antibiotics are used to treat the same bacteria in dogs as in humans.

Posted on May 15, 2009 12:02:49 PM PDT
Give the full course as prescribed.

Posted on May 17, 2009 4:00:15 AM PDT
reader says:
If you don't have a trusting relationship with your vet, get a new vet. With any doctor, dentist, veterinarian, heck even a mechanic you have to trust them and feel that they have the well being of the patient as their first priority. If you don't - move on.
I wholeheartedly agree with those that told you that amazon.com is absolutely the wrong place to have this discussion. See a qualified veterinarian.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Dogs forum (577 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dogs forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2009
Latest post:  May 17, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions