Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Drums forum

Is a Jr drum set too small for an 11 yr old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-30 of 30 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 11:57:16 AM PDT
Avery says:
It doesn't really matter what size of drum set you get. I play the drums and I have a adult size and I am ten years old. As long as your son can reach all the parts, it's fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:05:12 AM PDT
Andy says:
my favorite kit to bang around the house is an inexpensive electronic kit pluged into a $40. practice bass amp. I can plug it into a DVD music video to play along and use headphones to not bug mom and dad. The more importand thing to this method for a young drummer is making sure the pads are placed like a full sized kit and its ergonomics. aAlso the stick size, this has the most effect on the pad feel and as I learned 45 years ago, small hands don't mean skinny sticks, you need something meaty to hold on to. The electronic kit will be handy when it comes time to start practicing at someones house or apt. If he is a serious drummer this won't be his first kit anyone so why not make it something versatile. I used to backup a country singer and we used my e-kit and a small P A that handled 2 mics the accoustic and the bassguitar and we even recorded with it.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 3:47:16 PM PST
well my son first got his first kit at the age of five. It wasn't the best one and it was getting very small. so the next year we bought him a full size Tama stage star. He is now 11 years old and he says it fits just right for him. even though he installed a Pearl double-bass pedal, he says Tama is the best quality. And he recommends Zildjian cymbals. And he has only a Crash, Ride and Hi-Hat. But you can buy him what ever you want. Advice given.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2015 12:21:33 PM PST
Hi Anthony,
I am responding to you comments regarding the Mapex drum set. I purchased a GP 5 pc drum set from Amazon, for my 6 yr old grandson. He is tall for his age everyone thinks hes 7 nor 8. This purchase has been a total disaster, as of tomorrow they will have sent 3 separate 5pc drum sets to me. damaged, wrong stuff in box for 3 pc st and I'll get the third box tomorrow 12/24/15 Christmas Eve. I am so frustrated. Of course I'm going to send them back and get a refund. I really can't afford a real expensive set but, I don't want to throw away money. I googled Mapex, what would you recommend for a 6 yr old soon to be 7 in March. Oh, my name is Diane Jackson, dianejackson901@yahoo.com. I would appreciate any information and guidance that you wouldn't mind sharing. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 6:37:04 PM PST
tefy says:
My son is 3 years old will he be able to reach all of them
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Drums forum (19 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Drums forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions