Customer Discussions > Epic Fantasy forum

Need some suggestions on fantasy series or standalones..

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-46 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 2, 2010 10:38:31 PM PDT
Tyrion Lant says:
Recent enjoyable reads
Lorna Freeman - Borderlands series
Mathew Stover - Cain series, Heros Die being the first and best of them
Chris Bunch - King series, The Seer King being the first

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 12:12:53 PM PDT
Cwbys21 says:
haven't seen a mention of RA Salvatore on here yet.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 9:34:40 AM PST
Sandy says:
Has everyone forgotten Karl Edward Wagoner's Kane series? Whatta concept of the blue-eyed mark of the original killer. The first is Bloodstone. Pretty dark and gritty for the time ca. mid 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 4:47:59 PM PST
I read and liked Red Wolf Conspiracy, but many of the characters are pretty young (16-17)...as a result, some of the plot twists are overly convoluted. I want the 3rd one though--have read the first 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 6:12:41 PM PST
T. Robertson says:
It's a winner. Finished "The Ruling Sea" which is the second one. It's also excellent. Appears to be multiple lead characters. Waiting on "The River of Darkness" which is the third one.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 10:47:56 AM PST
Dawnofday says:
A stand alone that I enjoyed was Talon of the Raptor Clan. It's not from a big-name writer, but thoroughly enjoyable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 8:21:17 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 14, 2010 12:52:34 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 12:08:24 AM PST
Cwbys21 says:
The Last Wish

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 3:09:24 PM PST
sherry says:
I really enjoyed reading The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Also The Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb,The shadowmarch seriesby Tad Williams. The legend of drizzt by R.A. Salvatore Hope this is helpful.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 3:11:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 1, 2011 3:14:47 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 3:12:12 PM PST
sherry says:
I really enjoyed reading The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Also The Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb,The shadowmarch seriesby Tad Williams. The legend of drizzt by R.A. Salvatore Hope this is helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 6:28:39 PM PST
Try Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 6:44:14 AM PST
D. Caldwell says:
Try Tad Williams' series that starts with "The Dragonbone Chair", continues with "The Stone of Farewell" and concludes with "To the Green Angel Tower". Green Angel Tower comes in two parts so it is actually a four book set. My wife and I both liked that series enough to read it a couple times. While the person who started this thread said they are not big on stories with female main characters, "The deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon is quite good. Also older stuff that should still be available, the Deryni novels by Katherine Kurtz, especially the first trilogy that started with "Deryni Rising", are quite good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 10:37:40 PM PST
Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. Starts with King Arthur's grandfathers, no, it must be great grandfathers, Roman legionaires in North Africa. All the main characters are male and it is an awesome awesome series! Worth keeping around to read again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 11:25:18 AM PST
S. Crompton says:
Where did the Gods go after they left Earth?
The City of the Gods...
Some jobs feel like they last for eternity, but in D'Molay's case they actually do. Granted longevity and trapped in a timeless city governed by all the old gods of Earth, D'Molay makes a fateful choice to assist a hapless girl. He slowly discovers she is far more than she even knows and starts to suspect she has some kind of connection to a huge beast ravaging the Olympian realm. D'Molay is torn between his duty to the eternal world and the leading of his heart. His compulsion to protect her pits the wits of a man against the guile of the gods, rekindling a faith he had long ago forgotten. In theory any of the gods of old could appear in the City of the gods. In this novel some of the deities that appear include Zeus, Eros, Zepherus, Ares, Hermes & Glaucus. Egyptian gods Set & Sekumet. Babylonian gods include Lamasthu & Namtar. And you also meet various Chinese, Norse, Indian, Mayan and African gods as the story unfolds. They are portrayed very much as they appeared in classical mythology, but given each of them their own personalities and motivations. The book has over 90 illustrations in is 312 pages, including works by Dore, Ingres, Leighton and many other classic painters from the 1600's to the late 1800's. Many of the pieces have been digitally altered to fit the story. There is also a map of the Godly Realms that is actually part of the story as the main character uses it to plot their course throughout their journey, allowing the reader to follow along. Get your copy today and visit the wonderous City of the Gods...
Visit the official site at: http://www.cityofthegods.com/
City of the Gods: Forgotten (Volume 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 6:33:52 PM PST
Torbalan says:
Rothfuss' sequel to Name of the Wind (called Wise Man's Fear) is coming out March 1, hooray!

Two phenomenal (but not canonical) fantasy books that I loved this past year were:
The Magicians, by Lev Grossman
The Gone Away World, by Nick Harkaway.

Both really well written, clever and highly entertaining books.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 9:29:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 29, 2012 11:57:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 10:36:08 PM PDT
Ryan Felts says:
You pretty much named all the good stuff already (Book of the New Sun is one of the best fantasy series I've read), but you might enjoy Moorecock's Elric books and Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books, which someone else already mentioned. Someone else mentioned the Vlad Taltos books. They're pretty decent too, and the writing style is similar to that of the Black Company books.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 12:15:24 PM PDT
A Reviewer says:
Sounds like most of the great fantasy books have been mentioned. Ever thought of jumping into the indie fantasy realm, newer authors, newer books? If so The Winds of Moira is a fun and engaging read. It does however have a female lead, yet I personally didn't find her hard to relate to like I might have in some other books I've read.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 2:02:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 17, 2011 12:43:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 1:21:34 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 29, 2011 3:04:49 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Epic Fantasy forum (32 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Epic Fantasy forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions