Customer Discussions > Erotica forum

An Amazon erotica purge has begun

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 212 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2010 6:53:10 PM PST
K. Bunker says:
Amazon has started a censorship campaign targeting self-published erotica. Several writer/publishers, including best-selling authors such as Selena Kitt and Esmeralda Greene, have seen several of their books deleted from the store in the past few days.

See this news article: http://tinyurl.com/2uvgdp6
And this discussion thread: http://tinyurl.com/2fkl6xr

Both Kindle and CreateSpace (paper) books have been removed. Incest and other subject matter are involved. If Amazon applies any trace of consistency to this new campaign, then it's a certainty that many, many titles will be purged in the days to come.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:03:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 7:09:30 PM PST
Ms. Jess says:
I wrote the following email to Amazon's customer service, and AP (Associated Press).

ecr@amazon.com & info@ap.org, respectively.

=====

Dear Sir/Madam:

I would like to call to your attention Amazon's recent removal of certain erotica titles from the Kindle store (and not just the store, but from Kindle customers' archives).

The story has been covered by TeleRead, a website publishing news and views on the ebook and publishing industries.

The direct link is: http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/amazon-removes-incest-related-erotica-titles-from-store-kindle-archive/

What Amazon is doing is a form of censorship, according to dictionary.com's definition (link = http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/censoring):

"An official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds."

The removal of "incest-related erotica titles" is a prime example of the suppression of material deemed OBJECTIONABLE ON MORAL GROUNDS. Unless, of course, someone from Amazon would like to correct my deduction.

P.S. As an individual tweeted:

RT @ronhogan: If Amazon is removing books from the Kindle store for fictional incestuous content, how about the Bible? (Gen 19:30-38)...

Best,

Jess (I started the thread @ http://tinyurl.com/2fkl6xr)
www.jesscscott.com

=====

+ Updated on twitter too @ http://twitter.com/jesscscott

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:03:54 PM PST
Emerald says:
Amazon is not censoring "erotica", or even "self-published erotica".

Amazon is removing SELF-PUBLISHED INCEST FICTION. Why is that a bad thing? Really, why? Incest is a long standing societal taboo. And it deserves to be.

Jess C. Scott, one of the disgruntled pedo/incest fiction authors mentioned in your link, needs more than his fifteen minutes of fame, evidently.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:06:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 7:10:37 PM PST
Ms. Jess says:
Oh, hi Emerald!

I am a female, by the way.

I am not the only disgruntled author. You can check out my twitter stream at www.twitter.com/jesscscott

Amanda Young, Selena Kitt, Esmeralda Greene, have also had their works pulled.

I write non-explicit fiction too.

Incest fiction serves a niche audience, that has the right to buy and read whatever they want. Indie/self-published authors can write whatever they want. They write "taboo" material because mainstream publishers might not want to take the risk of being associated with "supporting" such content.

P.S. Get your facts right, before slamming others.

P.P.S. If you're not into erotica...why are you on the erotica thread? I make this deduction from your initial posts @ http://tinyurl.com/2fkl6xr

Jess.
www.jesscscott.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:10:34 PM PST
Emerald says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:19:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 7:23:42 PM PST
Ms. Jess says:
@Emerald: I'll answer your question, and literally ignore you after that (yes, by hitting the button). You should take a careful look at your own replies, to see who is running on emotion.

My Original Query: http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2QG9BWA19KO4O&cdMsgID=MxM1S67PZYQBZ3#MxM1S67PZYQBZ3

Your Replies: http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=2&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2QG9BWA19KO4O&cdMsgID=Mx3PBTPMGA6N51R#Mx3PBTPMGA6N51R

and

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=51&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2QG9BWA19KO4O&cdMsgID=Mx1O90PO7RDECVT#Mx1O90PO7RDECVT

=====

From your text on this thread:

<<Amazon is not censoring "erotica", or even "self-published erotica".

Amazon is removing SELF-PUBLISHED INCEST FICTION. Why is that a bad thing? Really, why? Incest is a long standing societal taboo. And it deserves to be.

Jess C. Scott, one of the disgruntled pedo/incest fiction authors mentioned in your link, needs more than his fifteen minutes of fame, evidently.>>

In answer to that post of yours:

1. Incest fiction serves a niche audience, that has the right to buy and read whatever they want. Indie/self-published authors can write whatever they want. They write "taboo" material because mainstream publishers might not want to take the risk of being associated with "supporting" such content.

2. I am a "her", not a "he", as you assume via the sentence, "Jess C Scott. . .needs more than _his_ fifteen minutes of fame, evidently."

3. I am not a pedo/incest fiction author -- I am an author/artist/non-conformist. I also write YA Fiction, business/non-fiction, new media, GLBT, to name a few.

4. I was not mentioned in the original link, even though I did start the discussion thread.

You are the one that is ill-mannered, and who rants. I did answer your question about incest, with point #1 (in this post, and paragraph 6 in my previous post).

So...did you get the facts this time?

Jess.
www.jesscscott.com

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:19:20 PM PST
Emerald says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:22:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 7:25:40 PM PST
I'd be upset if my books were getting pulled too. The Milk Bitch Trilogy disappeared out of my Kindle Archives, is no longer available in the Kindle store, and no one bothered to refund me my money, either.

And I never got to read it, but I'm pretty sure that one wasn't incest.

And Emerald, honey, you don't define what we read either. I see you sticking your nose into tons of erotica threads, about what the authors are doing wrong, like telling that guy who wrote the m/m story he should change the guy on his cover because he looked too young.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:26:10 PM PST
Emerald says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:26:39 PM PST
Ms. Jess says:
Hi diremommy,

Maybe that trilogy got deleted due to the cover image? Amazon's reply to the whole guidelines issue did mention something about the cover art (and I remember that one's cover art very well, heh!).

I hope you get a refund, or are able to somehow retrieve the copy. Very bad move on Amazon's part, tsk tsk.

Jess.
www.jesscscott.com

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:30:53 PM PST
S. weiler says:
Well, I had to say I saw this coming after the whole hoopla about the book on child molesting. Morally righteous people tend to keep wanting to force their morals onto every one else. Personally I don't want to read any books about either subject but don't agree that amazon should start pulling them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:35:33 PM PST
It's entirely possible, but I don't appreciate being denied access to a book I paid for with no explanation whatsoever.

I hate that Selena Kitt's books are being pulled, I love her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:37:39 PM PST
Emerald says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 2:17:47 AM PST
K. Bunker says:
Emerald, as someone who reads "plenty" of erotica, it's interesting that you're so eager to have someone else decide for you which types of erotica you're allowed to read. The sense of moral outrage you feel toward "incest erotica", a great many other people feel toward whatever sorts of erotica _you_ enjoy. (And if you'd been paying attention, you'd know that it isn't just the subject of incest that's being targeted by Amazon.)

But you aren't here to engage in a debate or to listen to reason. You just want to vent, rant, express your self-rightious moral outrage and insult people. I'm hitting the "ignore" button on you too.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 12:14:47 PM PST
How horrible, banning & censoring books is despicable; whether it's unknowing parents or large corporation like Amazon. Shame on them! If I were the authors, I'd be shifting my writing to Goodreads, publishers, etc. True fans will find the authors they like/love.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 12:44:35 PM PST
CarlaB says:
Why would anyone want a book on how to molest a child unless they were planning to do so. I for one am glad they removed it. I love erotica and could care less what 2 (or more) consensual adults do. But children need to be protected.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 12:47:22 PM PST
The issue at hand is fiction erotica books being pulled. Not how to non-fiction. That's what people don't get- it's a slippery slope, once one thing gets pulled,it opens the door to pulling others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 12:58:04 PM PST
CarlaB says:
I understand your point, however any books containing references, fiction or non-fiction, to child molestation (and not a recounting of a tragic event as a back-story) etc. are not good things. It is simply wrong, morally, ethically, etc. As long as the books contain adults engaging in whatever they want, they should not be removed. The addition of a child is where the problem begins. Are the books being pulled books that contain underage erotica? My question would be what are the decision points for a book to be removed? Is there a panel that looks at these things and decides as a group to pull something? I for one don't like to see anyone's works pulled.....unless it involves a defenseless child.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 1:46:36 PM PST
K. Bunker says:
CarlaB, Books without any underaged references have been pulled. There is no apparent pattern, and certainly no rationality behind which books have been pulled and which haven't. For most of the books that have been pulled, it's possible to point to hundreds of other books that are still available and that have more extreme subject matter. So far, Amazon has said nothing about what's happening, except to robotically repeat a form email about "violation of our content guidelines."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 1:51:40 PM PST
CarlaB says:
K. Bunker, thanks for the info. I have not been following it closely. I would be interested in seeing what their rationale is. I certainly agree that randomly pulling books is not the way to go.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 7:31:56 PM PST
Honey Bee says:
Just posted this on the Kindle board, just wanted to share.

I've been a hugh fan of Amazon and my kindle for some time now.... but this is really bothering me.

I read anywhere from 2 to 4 books a weeks. Most of them are erotica, not all but most. I have read all of the Selena Kitts books that Amazon has removed. I will agree that are racy, but I know exactly what they are when I'm buying them and that is why I am buying them, there is nothing misleading in the description of any of these book. I am over the age of 18 and therefore can make my own decision about what I want to read.

Funny how Amazon didn't feel the need to delete these books for the month after month they were in the top 20 downloads (when you take out the freebies), I guess the dollars were worth more to them then the "morality" for all those months. Well I'll take my dollars else where to buy these same books.

I have bought or download at least 96% of the 293 books on my kindle from Amazon and have only set up one account with one other ebook store. Well today I set up an account with yet another store and spent over $35 on my first day, all the books I bought I could have got them at Amazon and in some cases could have paid slightly less, but I didn't because they made me mad.

I think they, Amazon, needs to rethink this. These book are FICTION, not how to books, reading them doesn't mean we support underage sex, incest etc. I sure Selena Kitt is not having sex with a 14 year kid or one of her own children, these books are meant to be an escape from our regular lives, hence the word "FICTION"!

To Jess C Scott one of the books I bought at the other ebook store was yours, I normally don't buy short stories, but now I'm looking forward to reading it. Hope everything works out for you, what they did was wrong!

To Selena Kitt - Sorry didn't buy any of your books that they took down because I have all of them already. However I did find one of yours over there that I haven't read "Darla's Secret Wish", looking forward to it. So if you can't post Nolan's Confessions on Amazon make sure you still come to the Erotica Board to let us know it's out and I find it at another store.

Disappointed Mom

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 8:28:36 PM PST
Cat Chris says:
I was boycotting Amazon because of the trash they were allowing on their site. After reading some of this thread, I can now end my boycott. Amazon has regained my business. Thanks Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 8:36:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 13, 2010 8:37:46 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 8:48:20 PM PST
This is silly. Just because someone writes a work of fiction doesn't mean the author supports all views/activities portrayed in that work. If that was the case, what could we think of any writer of murder (not a good thing) mysteries? Will they be next to go? Will a book that has a character having an abortion be banned, as some don't care for that? Or a girl or boy being raped? Can't have that for people to read, either. What about drinking alcoholic beverages to exess? If you don't like this stuff, you should take the very sage advice of the Christian book supporters - don't read it. And don't tell others they have no right to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 8:50:15 AM PST
Howell says:
Peter de Sade titles are being purged also! We need the freedom to read what we choose to read!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Erotica forum (902 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Erotica forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  212
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions