Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Price dropped/free fantasy (no self promo)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2011 1:17:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 1:18:25 PM PST
I've gotten great recommendations off of other forums for price dropped/ cheap/ free offer books, & thought a fantasy thread would be useful to fans of fantasy.

Please, no self promotion.

Books on the Knob is a great resource.

For today:

Shaman's Crossing: The Second Son Trilogy (Soldier Son Trilogy) by Robin Hobb has been price dropped to 1.99. This is the first of her Second Son series.

If you like Steampunk, this one is only 99 cents: Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel.

Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One looks more sci fi than fantasy, but lots of fantasy fans enjoy sci fi as well. It's 1.99 today.

There are a few PNRs listed for the .99 to 1.99 range at the website itself, and one YA fallen angel paranormal, Unearthly that might entertain the teenaged girl on your kindle account.

If anyone becomes aware of any other titles that are promotionally priced, please feel free to add to the thread.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:24:48 PM PST
Thanks for the post, Queen. I've seen these posts on the PNR board and they've been helpful in finding freebies/cheapies. I always forget to, but for this post I'm adding product links.

It's UF (I know there are a few UF fans around this forum), Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts) by Stacia Kane is 99 cents.

Fantasy, The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker is a freebie today (a friend of mine really liked it, so I grabbed it too).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:29:55 PM PST
Thanks! I bought both of those. I love UF, & I've heard awesome things about Buroker.

I just bought 11 books for 9.00. Explain to me again why people are always b!tching about ebook prices?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:38:52 PM PST
If you're willing to wait a bit (& my TBR list is so huge that happens anyways), I've found that the prices go down, even on books that are $10+ as eBooks when they first come out. For Kane's Downside series, book 4 is out in early 2012, so I'd expect to see book 2 and perhaps book 3 on sale sometime before that release. I know that's happened with quite a few other series too. A lot of the direct-to-eBook titles are reasonably priced as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:38:54 PM PST
Kribu says:
Thanks! I got Phoenix Rising - looks interesting and I keep meaning to read more steampunk.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:40:07 PM PST
I'm mostly kidding. I haven't paid more than 7.99 for a book in months. Today was an exceptionally good day, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:43:50 PM PST
I know :) - I rarely do as well, so I've never much complained on book prices. It hit me as the same with hardcover vs paperback. Some series I had to have right away, and paid for the hardcover. Others I just waited (or library-d it). I'm never without something good to read, even when I carefully budget my book buying.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 4:20:06 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 4:39:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 4:47:48 PM PST
Even if it is traditionally published and usually sells for $7.99? Because that is, frankly, just silly. Do you enjoy burning money in your spare time, too? I bought a Bernard Cornwell for under 2.00 today. You have heard of him, right? I bought a wildly popular YA novel, Graceling, for .99 yesterday. That book has been a good seller for months, and was traditionally published by Houghton Mifflin. It's 6.29 today.

ETA: You know, what do you read, Drunkbeater? I only ever see you talking about what you don't read. Do you read?

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:02:49 PM PST
Barbara S says:
Jim Hines has 2 fantasy short story collections that are currently on sale. Goblin Tales for $.99 and Kitemaster and Other Stories for $2.99.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:36:33 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Currently free: Sasha: A Trial of Blood and Steel Book One

Start of a not too bad series...

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 9:09:51 AM PST
I've just started reading this one, so no idea how much I'm going to like it, but it's still on sale:

StarCrossed by Elizabeth Bunce - $2.99.

And for UF fans, the 3rd book in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison is currently on sale for $1.99, Every Which Way But Dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:29:37 AM PST
I liked Starcrossed, and thanks for the heads up on the Hollows book - that one is on my list!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:37:57 AM PST
I liked Starcrossed, too. I thought her first was better, though. It is a retelling of the Rumplestilstskin fairy tale: A Curse Dark As Gold. It's not on sale, though. I also read the second of the Starcrossed books -- Liar's Moon. It was pretty good, but I can't figure out if what was supposed to be a duology has now turned into a trilogy, because I felt like it left me hanging.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:41:41 AM PST
I have Liar's Moon on my shelf. I've heard good things about Dark as Gold. Need to read that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:43:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 9:46:35 AM PST
If you like fairy tale retellings, it's one of the better ones, IMO. I love them, myself.

ETA: I just checked Books on the Knob. Nothing new there for fantasy fans. Not sure if anyone will find any good ones today, but I'll be back if I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 9:46:33 AM PST
Love them. Love anything to do with myths too. Actually, so long as it is somewhere in the fantasy realm, I will usually give it a shot (kids books, YA, UF, PNR, fantasy). I don't do "real world" fiction very well. It doesn't give me enough of an escape.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 1:43:57 AM PST
Boric says:
HarperVoyager listed a whole stack of great e-reads holiday on their website, including the Phoenix Rising and Robin Hobb, Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim, Helen Lowe's The Heir of Night and Vicki Peterson's Scent of Shadows, plus a bunch more. The link's here: http://harpervoyagerbooks.com/2011/12/20/holiday-fun-12-harper-voyager-e-books-under-2-00/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 10:06:35 AM PST
Thanks, Boric! I've been wanting to try both Sandman Slim and Heir of Night.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 3:35:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011 3:37:43 PM PST
Sires says:
Currently free from Martha Wells:

The Cloud Roads. The first in a new series. The hero is a member of one of various nonhuman races that exist in Wells' world. I've enjoyed everything that Wells has written.

For $2.99: Two of her books, The Element of Fire and Wheel of the Infinite . The books are all set in very different fantasy worlds. Element of Fire reminds me of early 17th century France combined with imagery from Arthur Rackham's illustrations. Wheel of the Infinite has a certain Indian feel to it. Subcontinent rather than American Indian.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 4:26:59 PM PST
Thanks! I had Cloud Roads on my TBR list, so this is perfect!

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 4:47:53 PM PST
If there are any Kate Daniels fans, the latest Kate novella is free for the next 2 weeks on her blog.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 7:15:39 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
I know JA Konrath isn't quite Fantasy, but since there's a lot of crossover, I wanted to make sure any fans knew he's got a bunch of free stuff at the moment...

Shot of Tequila (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries)
Truck Stop - A Psycho Thriller (Lucy's Prequel to Serial)
Shapeshifters Anonymous
Origin (The Konrath/Kilborn Collective)

And I'm sure there's more...

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 7:17:13 PM PST
This one is superlate, because I just checked daily cheap reads, but Brent Week's latest The Black Prism (Lightbringer) is way price reduced. It probably won't last.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 5:35:08 AM PST
My publisher has joined the Kindle select promotion for 5 days only, with two fantasy books.

Both free.

http://safkhetpublishing.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/banned-underground-for-free-on-kindle/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new fantasy stories - and help take them to the next level
5 Jul 18, 2015
Book Recs for urban/high/epic fantasy? 5 49 seconds ago
KTT-A (imagine all the curly decorations, please) :-D 4493 9 hours ago
Kindle Unlimited: Fantasy Recommendations 90 1 day ago
Hey gang, I could use some Fantasy recommendations. 51 2 days ago
Books on Sale 1360 4 days ago
It's May 2016. What fantasy book are you reading? 41 4 days ago
Looking For Elf Fantasy no YA. Suggestions? 24 5 days ago
What are some good urban fantasy series like The Hollows? 23 7 days ago
What are the books or series' that you lament most of all for not being available for Kindle? 85 9 days ago
2016 Reading Challenge 31 10 days ago
It's April 2016. What fantasy book are you reading? 23 Apr 28, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions