Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Adult science fiction fantasy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 2:03:08 PM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
Interested in ADULT sci fic or fantasy. All I get when searching for 'adult science fiction fantasy' are young adult books. Which I'm definitely not and am not interested in reading. Unfortunately it is often very difficult to tell by reading reviews what reader level the book is aimed at, even when reading publisher reviews. I've read sci-fi & fantasy for at least 50 years and am NOT interested in reading a book for 13 year olds. Humor is a plus, but not required.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:22:13 PM PDT
Read It All says:
Hi Heart O'Mine,

Just to be sure, if you have been reading SF and Fantasy for 50 years, what on earth is left to read? There are new books coming out every month, but they are sure not all SF and F. And you are right, so many of them are to appeal to younger people (younger than us anyway!). Do you like paranormal with some romance and history thrown in? Do you like hard SF or some nice urban fantasy? Do you like dragon stories, mystery stories, time travel? We need some sort of guideline for someone who has been reading so long!

Than you!
Ria

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 4:05:46 PM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
And that, my dear Ria, is part of the problem. I read. I'm omnivorous - don't really care what genre as long as it's GOOD. Good and taking longer to read than two days is a bonus. Good series even more so. I do like SF & F and that does make up most of our library. Frankly, I'm not into romance of the Harlequin style, but romance is fine if it fits where it should in the story line. Bujold is a good example of that. I do get bored at some writers' insistence that they have to explain all the science. In detail. But again, if where/when an explanation of how the heck someone managed whatever scientific feat is needed, by all means tell me the how/why.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 6:20:51 PM PDT
Read It All says:
Heart O'Mine,

Okay, if you are omnivorous, you will like recommendations from every genre. That helps. Here is the link to the Science Fiction forum. If you look around, there are many threads that ask for recommendations and there are lots of answers.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/science%20fiction/ref=rft_tft_fp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxWK0QNW07Z4M7

Here is the Paranormal Romance link: http://www.amazon.com/forum/paranormal%20romance/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2BDELE76KKFOT

Again, many threads, many suggestions.

I would like to make a recommendation also: If you have not read the Outlander series, you should try it. The first book is here: Outlander (20th Anniversary Edition): A Novel. It has time travel and a lot more. Romance, action, adventure, and history. There are seven books out now and another coming next year. The author's name is Diana Gabaldon.

Another good series is the Mercy Thompson series. Mercy is a shapeshifter. Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson: Moon Called Volume 1 TP. This is the first book and there are six or seven more. The author is Patricia
Briggs.

Deborah Harkness is the author of A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy). This will be a trilogy all together, with the second book out now too: Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy). We all have to wait until next year for the third. But the first two are very good.

I don't know if you have found Charles De Lint yet, but if not, he has a large amount of books out that are urban fantasy. He has stand-alone books and also books that inter-weave worlds. I really liked his book: Moonheart.

Don't know if you know about Laurell K. Hamilton and her two series, so here they are: Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) is the first book of the Anita Blake series. Vampires and werewolves in the modern world.

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, Book 1) is the first book in her second series. Faeries and other various creatures in the modern world. Both of her series are definitly for adults.

I hope this helps a little with your reading dilemma. Keep looking on the forums and you will find many more books than what I can tell you! There are some voracious readers around here :-). Good Luck!

Ria

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 6:23:17 PM PDT
Captain says:
First tell us what you've already read and liked, and not liked for that matter.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 2:42:57 PM PDT
Try "A GAME OF THRONES" by George R. R. Martin. Quite bloody, and totally unpredictable. I have read the first 4 books and he really makes it realistic. There's always Frank Herbert's Dune. if you haven't read it, it's awesome. The best I've read in SF ever. Complex, fascinating, extremely well written, as are the follow up books by Herbert himself. His son has written some based on Dune, but his are nowhere near the quality of the writing by the father.
There is also Zelazny's Amber series. I found it interesting.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:23:46 AM PDT
GreyDay says:
Octavia Butlers books have recently been published as ebooks. I highly recommend her books especially Lilith's Brood triology.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:03:27 AM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
Hi Ria -

Will take a look at forums. I did like the Outlander series, more the ones where she highlighted the healing arts/what was used at the time. For that reason I almost liked the Outlandish Companion more as it gave an in to her research. Oh, yes - part of a shelf of de Lint. Haven't tried Thompson or Harkness will have to check them out.

thanks for the suggestions

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 9:23:02 AM PDT
Captain says:
Excellent suggestion

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 10:59:23 AM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
Ok, nature of the beast, em, problem. Up to the library. If listed there are more than two book by that author. I usually give the books I didn't care for to library, so if an author is listed here assume I like their stuff. Didn't list compilation editors. Please excuse any typos.

Lynn Abbey, Terry Adams, Poul Anderson, Piers Anthony [lots, inc. Xanth series, but haven't read any of his stuff for several years - got tired of Xanth], Robert Asprin [various, liked Thieves World, but haven't read any of his stuff for a while], Asimov, Margaret Atwood, Auel, Margaret Ball, Gael Baudino [elegant style], Stephen Baxter, Elizabeth Bear, Greg Bear, James Blaylock, Bloch, Bova, Elizabeth Boyer, Steven Boyett, Bradbury, MZ Bradley [whole big batches] , Brin [esp. Uplift series], Dale Britain, Kristen Britain, Terry Brooks, Brunner, Brust, Butcher, Bujold [Vor series is my favorite one - latest on pre-order], OS Card [Ender series of course & other series], Jacqueline Carey, Jeffrey Carver, Chalker [lots, but haven't read any of his stuff for several years], Douglas Clark, Storm Constantine, Glen Cook, Hugh Cook, Rick Cook, Larry Correia, Greg Costikyan, Roberta Cray, Peter David, de Camp [numerous], de Lint, G Dickenson [numerous], Sara Douglass, Debra Doyle/ James Macdonald, David Drake, Diane Duane, Dave Duncan, Eddings, MJ Engh, Steven Erikson, D Farland, PJ Farmer, Bill Fawcett, Feist, Jude Fisher, Eric Flint [1631 & 1812 series plus others], Follett, Allen D Foster, CS Friedman, Friesner, Galbadon [nearly all], Craig S Gardner, Mary Gentle, Goodkind , Simon Green, Barbara Hamby [lots], Lyndon Hardy, Thomas Harlan, Elizabeth Haydon, Heinlein, Herbert [not a particular fan of Dune after the first one], Robin Hobb [couple series], Tom Holt, Tanya Huff, Gary Jennings, Wynne Jones, JV Jones, gave away the Jordon after the first six or so, Phyllis A Karr, Guy G Kay, Marjorie B Kellogg, Kennealy-Morrison, Katharine Kerr [numerous], Katherine Kurtz, Lackey [big batches], Leiber, Llywelyn, Niven, Andre Norton, Jody L Nye, Modesitt [numerous], Elizabeth Moon, Christopher Moore, Geo. RR Martin [really tired of waiting for him to finish Swords, like Wild Cards] , RA McAvoy, McCaffery [most likely all of them], Patricia McKillip, Mel Odom, Fiona Patton, Diana Paxson, Sharon K Penman, Pohl, Pournelle, Pratchett [numerous], Rawn, MZ Reichert, Resnick, Ringo, Jenniffer Roberson, Kim S Robinson, Spider Robinson, Joe Rosenberg [numerous], Saberhagen, Jessica A Salmonson, Pamela Sargent, Elizabeth Scarborough, Martin Scott, Bob Shaw, Robert Shea, Silverberg, L Neil Smith, Somtow, Wen Spencer, Spinrad, Nancy Springer, Stackpole, Stasheff, Mary Stewart, Simak, Slonczewski, Irving Stone, Tarr [lots], Tepper, Turtledove, Twain, Vance, Vinge, Watt-Evans [numerous], David Weber, Brent Weeks, Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman [lots], Michelle West [lots], Paul O Williams, Tad Williams, Water J Williams, Patriicai Wrede, Wurts, Zahn, Zelanzny, Zimmer.

Perhaps I should have asked for recommendations of newer authors. Limited $ makes me hesitant to buy an author I don't know. I hate it when I toss a book across the room.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:00:29 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
I love & reread Bujold, Briggs, McKillip, Michelle Sagara's Cast in Shadow series, Kay.

I didn't see on your list:
Patrick Rothfuss- The Name of the Wind
C.J. Cherryh - Fortress in the Eye of Time

Some I've read recently and really enjoyed, enough to actually preorder the next ones.
Rachel Aaron's The Legend of Eli Monpress series - lighter fare, irrepressible thief and brooding swordsman
Benedict Jacka's Fated and Cursed

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 12:55:17 PM PDT
I concur with K. McNamara on the Rothfuss books.
Also Scott Lynch and his Gentleman Bastard Series...very good stuff!
Am reading Jasper Kent right now. Twelve, Thirteen Years later. (Vampires in Russia. Good historical stuff too.)
Mira Grant and her Newsflesh Trilogy (good zombie reading set in 2041)
Jasper Fforde and the Thursday Next series.
Bernard Cornwall and the Saxon series. (Not really sci-fi fantasy but very good writing!)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:41:24 PM PDT
GreyDay says:
Patricia McKillip - Fool's Run (S.F.), Riddlemaster triology and Forgotten Beasts of Eld (fantasy)
Robin Mckinley - The Blue Sword, and The Hero and the Crowm (fantasy)
Octavia Butler - Lilith's Brood (the Xenogenesis triology)
Louise Cooper - The Time's Master and Chaos Gates triologies
James Schmitz - all of them
William Burkett - The Sleeping Planet
Crawford Killian- Brother Jonathan and Lifter (S.F)
H. Beam Piper (& others) - Little Fuzzy, Fuzzy Sapiens, Fuzzy Bones, Golden Fuzzy
Lilith Saintcrow - Dante Valentine series
George Smith - The Fourth "R"
John Wright - The Orphans of Chaos triology
James White - Hospital Station books
Tamora Pierce - Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 1:44:30 PM PDT
It's not sci fi or fantasy, but if you liked the healing arts parts of Outlander, have you tried Ellis Peters' wonderful Brother Cadfael series? Crusader turned monk and herbalist during contested reign of Stephen of Blois. A little mystery and usually romance, some interesting insights into the politics and role of the Catholic church, and nuggets of info on herbal remedies of the era.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:15:53 PM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
Scribbling madly ;)

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 5:55:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 6, 2012 6:08:47 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 8:41:03 PM PDT
Okay, since your list of favorite authors reads like mine, I've got some names for you. Add Connie Willis, John Scalzi, and Charlie Stross to your list of authors. I might start with Willis's short story collections, Scalzi's Old Man's War, and Singularity Sky by Stross.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 9:16:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 9:20:36 PM PDT
Looking at your list and books that I've read recently and enjoyed, I'll add a couple authors....

Sci-Fi
Dan Simmons Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos) books and The Rise of Endymion books
Peter F. Hamilton Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga) series

Darker urban fantasy
Charlie Huston Already Dead: A Novel (Joe Pitt) series

There are other obvious suggestions like Neil Gaiman American Gods and William Gibson, but I fell a little but like asking a horror fan if they have read any Stephen King, so feel free to ignore if these are too obvious.

Anyone mention Joe Ambercrombie (The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One)?

Edited to add Greg Keyes - The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone) series. Liked this series. Doesn't seem to get a lot of attention.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 5:06:58 AM PDT
Joanna Fay says:
Looking at your reading list, you might also like Julian May: Fantasy - The Saga of the Exiles (starting with 'The Many-Coloured Land'), which leads in a circular fashion into The Galactic Milieu series (via a bridging novel 'Intervention'). SF - The Rampart Worlds Trilogy (starting with 'Perseus Spur').
Happy reading!

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:59:48 AM PDT
In Fantasy I would definitely put down Brandon Sanderson as an author to read. He quickly became my favorite author in the genre, and I haven't yet seen him on any of the lists mentioned

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:42:14 AM PDT
YIGT says:
My cousin turned me onto Warhammer 40k novels im normally not into books that a spin offs from games but he loves them and hes got pretty good taste in books so i tried them. Tell you what im hooked ive read around 40 of the books in the past 6 months there not super long books most are in the 300-400 page range and not really hard to read especially as you get more understanding on the universe. I recommend reading the Horus heresy first it starts with a book by Dan Abnett which is one of the best writers for the warhammer books. the first book is Horus Rising: Anniversary Edition (The Horus Heresy) its a great start to a good series all SF lots of space ships and aliens and cool SF stuff. Plus its dark SF not the happy fluffy kind lots of people die its nice and bloody to good stuff.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:52:43 AM PDT
My favorite new fantasy writer of the past few years is Patrick Rothfuss:
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One His first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles are great. No date has been announced for the third, supposedly final, volume "Doors of Stone".

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:25:06 PM PDT
s.e.redd says:
I love Sanderson. Mistborn trilogy was awesome.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 6:54:36 AM PDT
Heart O'Mine says:
Sorry for delayed response - was out of connection for a few days. Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely have some authors to check out for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 2:52:03 PM PDT
I know you say you dont like YA fiction but some I have read as an adult (and I have been reading for 40+ years) have been brilliant and much better than some of the fantasty targeting adults. Try:
Kristen Cashore: Graceling, Fire, Bitterblue
Laini Taylor: Daughter of smoke and Bone - LOVED it, cannot wait for the sequel. Do not be put off by the blurb, it toally does not do this book justice. Have not had anyone I have recommended it to dislike it
Randomly picked up an indie book called 'Escape to Gemena' the other day by Judeth Scott. Really enjoyed that also. Rarely even finish some of the indie books I have purchased in the past so its definately worth a read.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions