Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Need a new fantasy series to get hooked on

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 214 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2011 4:11:43 PM PDT
Izzymarizee says:
I've read a bunch of the main ones(Terry Goodkind, Raymond Feist, Robert Jorden, David Eddings, George R. R. Martin, etc.) and now I don't know what else to read.
Here's some of the ones I've thoroughly enjoyed:
The Wheel of Time series
The sword of truth series
The night angel trilogy (I REALLY liked this one!)
The name of the wind and wise mans fear

Some I did not like as much were:
George R.R Martin
Sara douglass
Terry Brooks
Not to say I hated these, just didn't care for them as much

For the most part I love coming of age stories and have a bit of a fascination with assassin novels right now. I also read a lot of Young Adult fantasy so any suggestions in that dept. would be great too.
I know sometimes really good books are out there, they're just not advertised as much
Any help is much appreciated and thank you! :)

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 5:13:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2011 8:22:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 5:17:19 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 5:38:25 PM PDT
Try Robin Hobb's Farseer series:
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

and 2nd related Tawny Man series:
Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

These were really, really good.

-Georgette Evans

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 6:03:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 6, 2011 1:04:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 8:14:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 1:02:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 8:17:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:07:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 8:36:03 AM PDT
Izzymarizee says:
I have read belgariad. That one was pretty good too. As for Brooks...can't remember the name of the series but it was the one with elf queen of shannara and talismans of shannara.
Also in response to Georgette Evans, haha I have read the farseer trilogy and just bought fools errand. But thank you :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 6:27:43 PM PDT
Paul says:
Second Chance series.
Second Chance Series: BEGINNINGS: Book 1
http://secondchancenovels.com/

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:52:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 1:03:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 3:29:17 PM PDT
S. Hicks says:
I don't quite consider it fantasy, but The Hunger Series by Suzanne Collins is great!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 5:59:01 PM PDT
Mike says:
The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman is very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:18:11 PM PDT
Rhissa Kaye says:
From your list it looks like you'd love the "Rhapsody" series by Elizabeth Haydon.Rhapsody : Child of Blood The cover looks a little cheesy, this series is a decade or so old, but I found the first three books to be excellent and the next three aren't bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:37:16 PM PDT
Mike says:
You may like the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. They are more of a "high fantasy" type of novels. The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is also good. They are more of a fast paced action type of read.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 8:48:26 PM PDT
MegEly says:
I read the Furies of Calderon, it's by Jim Butcher and the beginning of a trilogy which I have yet to read the rest of. It was the best book I've read with a male protagonist, though I haven't read that many.
Green Rider by Kristen Britain is really good, and the 4th one just came out, though I haven't had time to year it yet, which might be a good thing because I heard it has a nasty cliffhanger.
I did read the first 4 of the Artemis Fowl books, and they were good but, by the time the 5th one came out I was over them. Plus your taste seems a bit more mature then boy genius with poor social skills and a consuming magic fascination.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 9:47:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 9, 2011 6:57:39 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 1:01:58 PM PDT
Merle F says:
Try this author, D.S. MacLeod (indie) and his fantasy series The Middle Times, that is if you like elves, dwarves, wizards and such. I've read the first three stories and the legend available on Kindle and find it all mystically impressive. I readily anticipate the fourth release. Happy Hunting!

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 3:28:52 PM PDT
Jordan739 says:
I would recommend The Elder Blood Chronicels In Shades of Grey. I just finished it myself and I loved it. It has very good dialogue and the characters show wit. The story is set High Fantasy with alot of magic but it is used in a controlled manner so it doesn't get crazy. Very interesting setting as well as characters you will love. I dont really have any non-indie suggestions right now, you have already read all of my favorite books.
-Jordan W.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 12:56:34 AM PDT
I have a friend who absolutely loves the Earthsong Prophecy series (I think that's the name). The author is Greg Park, and the first book is named Veil of Darkness. I can't actually get into that series (seems too cliche epic fantasy to me), but she loves it like crazy and is always talking about it, and she's quite a picky reader. So if you're into epic fantasy, that might be a very good idea to look at.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 2:47:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 29, 2011 12:23:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 7:24:25 AM PDT
Pokes87 says:
How about trying "The God Complex: Part 1: The Orphans" by Ursula Johnston? It's a new book from a up and coming author. Part 1 of a 5 part series. Part 1 is available right now, the rest are coming soon. It's a fast, energetic, suspenseful short story about some orphans who are adopted by a scientist. This scientist injects serum into each of them and they gain super powers while still having to attend middle and high school and deal with not fitting in (in many different ways). Something worth trying.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 12:59:17 AM PDT
D. Politis says:
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is about a group of thieves and con men in a fantasy world. This is the first book in the Gentlemen Bastards series. They are trying to find their way in the world.

Covenants by Lorna Freeman. This is one of my favorite books. The first book in the Borderlands series. You can find a cheap copy on alibris.com The main character is a young adult male who is a soldier in the army. Dragons, talking cats who walk upright, magic, battles between good and evil, and a touch of humor. He is sort of teenager age, and this is a good coming of age novel.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini. (the first of four or five books in the series) One of the last dragon eggs. A young boy who always dreamed of being a dragon rider. Put them together along with an evil emperor and a classic battle between good and evil begins.

Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey. A poor boy who works in an inn steals food, then works his way up to bigger thefts. A very good coming of age novel. (Take a Thief is part of the very large Valdemar series but you can read this book first, the author explains everything) If you like this book, then read Foundations by Mercedes Lackey, book one of the Collegium Chronicles. Also a coming of age novel involving a young boy who works in a mine but discovers he has magic.

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner is really good. Book 1 in the Queen's Thief series. I cannot say much without spoiling the plot but this series is full of political intrigue, plot twists, humor, and revenge. The first book is a bit short but the rest of the books in the series are 200 or more pages. Really worth the read.

Have you tried the author Tamora Pierce? Start with the book Alanna: The Song of the Lioness about a girl who impersonates her brother to become a squire so she can one day become a knight. She writes really good young adult stories involving the kingdom of Tortall with mages, magic animals like dragons and griffins, and talking wolves. If you like this series, there are a lot of books so you will be busy for a while.

Sabriel by Garth Nix is one of my favorites. It is the first book in a trilogy. It is about a young girl who is away at school in a country where magic barely exists. She is from a country where magic is all around. She finds out she is a necromancer in a long line of her family who travel around the country putting down creatures who have risen from the dead. With barely any training, she has to take up this job and protect the kingdom. Very creative book and I highly recommend it.

I am going to state the obvious here and ask if you have read the Harry Potter books by J K Rowling. The first book is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I thought it would be a silly book for kids and it is not. It is one of the greatest fantasy novels I have ever read. This is a coming of age novel that will be read by people 100 years from now. So if you have not read it, I suggest it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 4:23:21 AM PDT
SummerKy says:
Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, or the Mistborn Trilogy, also enjoyed the Hugo winner Hyperion and it's sequels by Dan Simmons

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 6:54:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 6, 2011 2:17:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 12:06:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 12:33:54 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  173
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions