Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Most hated Fantasy Cliches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 460 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 26, 2012 3:59:01 PM PDT
LoveBooks says:
The opening scene being one of some woman giving birth and then dying while someone takes the baby to safety. Seriously. Enough is enough. We get it, orphans are much more likely to save the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 4:50:00 PM PDT
Yeah I love "Neverwhere" and I've recently gotten a hold of the first "Sandman" trade paperback and loved reading his early Sandman work (I didn't start reading the actual series until it's in it's twenty-something issue so the early ones are new to me). :) I also just saw Neil on "The Simpsons" this past Sunday.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:10:12 PM PDT
J. Graves says:
I Hate the whole villains being related to the hero plotline. Especially, in the more recent books SPOILER ALERT like Cassandra's City of.... books.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:49:44 PM PDT
Knightmare94 says:
I don't ready any fantasy novel that features elves, orcs, dwarves, or halflings. Dragons are pushing it, but they're too badass for me to completely write off. I suppose there's a writer out there that can make those elements cool again, but for now I've had pretty much enough Tolkien clones...

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 11:00:08 PM PDT
"First in a stunning new series of (4/6/8/10/12 - delete as appropriate)" blazoned on the front cover of a new author's first book...

What if he doesn't get to the end?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 11:17:08 PM PDT
Buh? Plotlines that never end kind of suck. I'm planning to stop my series after 11 books. But seriously----everything has to have an end. That's the biggest fantasy cliche I hate, books that go on and on and on, even after the author dies. End the series and get to another one already, geez.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:23:51 AM PDT
Nicki, you mean you're not going to read this book?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:59:50 AM PDT
Lara says:
Evan,
I read Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, Star Dust and the Graveyard Book.
But his American Gods is by far the most challenging to read. In fact I could only take in small portions. Gaiman is a spectacular writer.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:20:37 AM PDT
Shay says:
My most hated fantasy cliche is when the Princess/Faerie Queen or otherwise Ethereal Female Bombshell (EFB) who has never paid any mind to the Awkward Kitchen Boy (AKB) ever, and even when AKB is coming up is usually the first one to put down his efforts to be the hero because he's *JUST* an AKB and basically has ragged on him for upwards of 10 years (or at least 10 chapters) and treated him terribly... but then after he's been bloodied by clay men and rockbiters and goblins and trolls, then all of the sudden she's got a bit of piqued interest. AND HE FALLS FOR IT. Meanwhile, he's blowing of Serving Wench Maid who he's been best friends with since they were in buntings and always stays late to help him bag up the potato peels on feast nights and laughs at his jokes and listens to him complain about Prince Weasel Eyes.

And in the Paranormal Romance Fantasy...
really? you're 400 years old and you've been waiting your whole life for a 16 year old INCREDIBLY PLAIN girl with the emotional maturity of a litter of puppies and is almost as intelligent about real life as a ball of wet hair... in fact, if you quizzed her and compared her answer to the ball of wet hair.. it'd be a REALLY close call on who better knew about foriegn policy... THAT girl... THAT girl is what the world travelling, seasoned, poetic, immortal wants? Really? Can you say child molester? Just sayin.

But I do love the paranormal and urban fantasies... mostly just because it gives me lots to complain about hahahahaha

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 3:59:48 AM PDT
(Just as an aside...I despise that cover!)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 4:16:52 AM PDT
Coffeelover says:
hi all new here.. What bothers me is that in most recent urban fantasy the heroine cant be human. All of them have some supernatural trait and if lacking they are willing to acquire it in some form. Why cant a human remain human??

I read the Fever series by KMM and despite the raves its packed full of cliches. I guess thats what sells huh? Trapped evil escapes, true supernatural identity comes to surface, falls in love with the angsty dark character, able to wield never before seen power etc etc sorry to ramble.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:56:26 AM PDT
Mvargus says:
Shay,

your complaint about Paranormal Romance and the complete sillyness of a 400+ year old vampire falling for a naive 16 year old girl is one I definitely agree with. I despise this newfound plot cliche.

Heck, I picture most vampires lossing most of their humanity within 50 years of turning. After all they stay young, can't walk in the sunlight and in general will have little in common with the masses of humanity that they have to feed on. They almost have to lose their homanity if they want to stay sane.

So I figure any vampire that finds that naive 16 year old and seduces here, isn't really in love iwth her. Instead, he's figuring that the 16 year old girl is about to become "lunch I don't have to chase after." And if he's careful, he can keep her going for a dozen or so years of easy meals before its time to throw her away and get another one.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:46:33 AM PDT
Have you read Eleftheria by Jade De Kelaita? There are some cliches that you mention but it is still just so good! I fell in love with the characters and even the gruesome fight scenes..although those aren't my taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:20:06 AM PDT
Ever see the "Supernatural" episode "Live Free or Twihard"? They pretty much poke holes in that whole vampire in love stuff. basically, vamps were using the whole scenario to lure dumb girls who fell for that stuff into being willing food. :) I really can't image a vampire even just a decade removed from being human having anything in common with a mortal who isn't even old enough to have really lived yet much less one who is centuries old. I can only assume the fantasy appeals to girls because it represents something that's supposed to be dangerous that really isn't or something. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:54:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2012 11:55:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 4:09:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 4:11:35 PM PDT
"I may have seen what my mind could accept rather than exactly what happened. I mean 'magic.' How many times have savages concluded "magic" when a "civilized" man came along with something the savage couldn't understand? How often is some tag, such as "television," accepted by cultural savages (who nevertheless twist dials) when "magic" would be the honest word? Still, Star never insisted on that word. She accepted it when I insisted on it. But I would be disappointed if everything I saw turned out to be something Western Electric will build once Bell Labs works the bugs out. There ought to be some magic, somewhere, just for flavor."

"Magic is not science, it is a collection of ways to do things - ways that work but often we don't know why. "

"One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word."

~ Heinlein: Glory Road

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:51:46 PM PDT
Shay says:
exactly. i'm also getting a little sick of the "i'm a vampire, but it's not like the vampires in books and movies. vampirism is more like a disease... or... my skin is made of diamonds... or... i'm actually just allergic to sunlight and garlic... it won't actually kill me but i'll be very uncomfortable and have noxious gas." or whatever new spin... blargh. i want vampires to be hideous monsters again! nosferatu, anyone?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:00:10 PM PDT
I blame Anne Rice for this disturbing trend and it must end :)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:17:30 PM PDT
Shay says:
Anne Rice had far too fruity of a writing style for me. She overdescribed the most minute, ridiculous details and made me hate reading for about 3 months my freshman year in highschool.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:40:59 AM PDT
Jason, I'm afraid I haven't read any of Robert Jordan's books, not even when he was alive. I stopped the trend of continuing on with a ghostwriter after V.C. Andrews died (and actually, she died before I was able to read any of her books, which rather dates me). I would make an exception for the Wheel of Time series, because that obviously has an end, and Robert Jordan is one of the authors I've *wanted* to pick up, but never had the time to. (Writing your own books rather consumes your free hours; I even have newly-bought Ursula K. LeGuin books I haven't yet opened.)

But yes, for Robert Jordan and his like, I *would* make an exception. I simply don't tend to read a ghostwriter's interpretations of the book series because, honestly, there are nuances the g.w. doesn't know (or use) that the author had put in the series, the. whole. time. Is it that hard to read between the lines these days? *Frowns sadly.*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:44:24 AM PDT
Shay, I recommend you never read the "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure, then. It's a pseudonym of Ms. Rice, and the writing there is even worse than her vampire books. *Barf.*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 7:42:59 AM PDT
Yeah the only thing of hers I read was a short story called "Master of Rampling Gate" or something like that in a collection of vampire stories and I hated it. Hated it so much I never bothered to read anything else with her name on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 3:42:51 PM PDT
Twilight, eeyuck. Even worse is the fact that despite the crap writing, she's probably made billions by now. Ms. Meyer does not know how to write, AT ALL. She just fed into an already over-saturated trend, appealing to the forty-something hausfrau who lie around all day and gobble bon bons. (Which, I am sad to say, was probably her own job description before she wrote it.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:04:22 PM PDT
I'm thinking you're being a bit snarky...may I read and critique YOUR writing miss?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:13:56 PM PDT
Hey the gal who wrote Harry Potter was on welfare so why not? :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  460
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions