Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Most hated Fantasy Cliches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 460 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:22:50 PM PDT
So your idea of a suitable boyfriend is someone who, at any minute, could chomp down on your neck and drain you dry? Someone is never going to change while you grow old and die always assuming you don't get them to make you into a soulless monster who feeds on human blood as well? Really not seeing an upside.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:27:10 PM PDT
I understand that but firstly we're not talking about humans, we're talking about monsters in human form who feed on human blood. There is no shortage of human evil or people who are drawn to that for whatever reason (they're evil themselves, they get off on power over others, etc...) but again it's not exactly the same thing.

I suspect if you asked him it was more about the power and the wealth than having fancy toys per se. There are a lot of people who seem to think that the choices are filthy rich or flat broke or who started out so low that they become psychotically driven to never be that low again. In any case I'm pretty sure he would tell you (if not now then at the time) that it WAS a matter survival. Do unto others before they can do unto you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:27:44 PM PDT
Best way to make a medium happy is to pay her well for helping you talk to the ghosts. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:40:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 3:58:53 AM PDT
Ashwood says:
C. Mcwilliams says: I understand that but firstly we're not talking about humans, we're talking about monsters in human form...it's not exactly the same thing.

Ash : OMG, you are racist against vampires.

Let's say it were possible to make magic daggers that would restore a terminally ill person to youth and health for one year if they kill someone with it. Do they become unable to love because they kill the occasional homeless drug addict to survive or do they simply rationalize away their victims as 'undesirables' and continue to consider themselves as basically good people (who have friendships and romantic relationships)?

Are killers with daggers more capable maintaining emotional relationships than killers with fangs simply because they are physically 'normal'?

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:48:51 AM PDT
Ilovemycat says:
Why are warrior women always good-looking? Most of the women I know who could kick my a ss are rough.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 8:15:39 AM PDT
Yes. Yes I am. I don't see how anyone can look at an animated thing, a thing that's cold and dead and drinks blood to continue going and think "hey this is the guy/gal for me". Just doesn't make any sense to me. I clearly remember an ad for the first movie where she says he's cold to the touch and I'm like "cold to the touch, drinks blood and you still want him? What the hell is wrong with you." It's basically necrophilia. Yuck.

You can't make a killer look better by qualifying that their victims are homeless or drug addicts. A life is a life and a killer is a killer. There's a reason that law doesn't make a distinction between how 'good' or 'useful to society' a murder victim is. It's still taking a life and it doesn't matter who the victim is, or the killer is or the reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 8:16:26 AM PDT
I'm guessing because you're not going to sell that many movie tickets or books with a poster or book cover of a mannish woman in armor. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 10:16:55 AM PDT
Girls are so much more sohpisticated than us blokes. They like Sean bean even with all those clothes on. For us blokes, don't even think about fighting those dragons unless you are in a bikini so small that you could exchange it for a postage stamp....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 10:32:14 AM PDT
Ashwood says:
C. Mcwilliams says: I don't see how anyone can look at an animated thing, a thing that's cold and dead and drinks blood to continue going and think "hey this is the guy/gal for me".

Ash : OK, that's just shallow. And we were talking about whether a vampire could become emotionally attached to a human, not Vice Versa.

C. Mcwilliams says: There's a reason that law doesn't make a distinction between how 'good' or 'useful to society' a murder victim is. It's still taking a life and it doesn't matter who the victim is, or the killer is or the reasons.

Ash : That's not how the real world works, have you been following the Zimmerman shooting case and what his defenders are saying about Trayvon Martin? There is a reason war crimes are so common, people in our little group matter and outsiders aren't really real to us. When you talk about the 3,000 Americans killed on 9/11 it still makes people's blood boil, but if you mention the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths we caused during the war you get yawns.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:35:20 AM PDT
Lara says:
Will,
could it be women have more imagination than men? So when they see Sean bean with all the clothes on, they let their fantasy play. When men see women fighting dragons, they need the naked truth (pun intended). Smile.
P/S who is Sean bean?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 12:27:17 PM PDT
The Sagaria trilogy would be the best to start with, a very cute start and building up to a very scaring scenario. The Tides of Avarice might be a bit too violent. But they are both wonderfully written with the expertise of a seasoned writer. Both Rowling and Meyer, especially the former will learn something from this. That the reader is not totally stupid. They will learn from this, an Oxford writer and with great insight and morals into the fantasy genre. Great stories. He will blow you away...in a good way.

S.M. Levine New York

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:03:42 PM PDT
Lara, did you not watch Game of Thrones?

I believe Mr Bean had a lead role....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 1:09:32 PM PDT
Well now wait a minute I have been following that case and it's only the hardcore defenders of the shooters who are trying to smear the victim to make the whole thing justified. The other side has also been smearing the shooter to get more media attention. What really needs to happen is the whole thing needs to go court but that stupid 'stand your ground law' means what he did isn't technically illegal. Barring that the victim's family needs to take him to civil court and donate the judgment to a lobby to get that law appealed so it can't happen again. It also has no connection to vampires and vapid tweens with fantasies of marrying them (for whatever reason).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 1:12:18 PM PDT
Well I've heard it said that men are more visual than women and that may be the case here. I just know you gonna do a book or movie with a female warrior hero she had better have a lot of cleavage, massive breasts and look like a beauty queen. :) Of course there are a lot of male heroes who fight evil in a loincloth or a toga or whatnot so the guys have shown skin themselves it's just not a often or seemed as compulsory.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 1:13:29 PM PDT
When you said Mr. Bean I flashed on the Rowan Atkinson character. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 2:11:18 PM PDT
It was a long and stormy night...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 2:26:31 PM PDT
Stepanz Meyer should go to court...alone. Stealing almost all of the upsrpining and classic fanatsy, oh, so tiring and cliche vampire genre there is. Nest in line is Mr. Brown if he will ever creep out from his house...He knows what he has done and so deos Meyer, Whay do not they come clean and confess what they have done to millions of gullible readers. But no hahahahahahah harming the entirely fantasz y genre or fiction is what they will done. But you fellow authors and reader, do not fall onto this trap. You are too to clever for that.

Patrick Smith C.A.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:18:45 PM PDT
R. Vincent says:
The quest for the (jewel/sword/stone/ring/any mcguffin) of power!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:03:32 PM PDT
Lara says:
Will,
do you mean the HBO series?
Sorry for being so behind the times, but we do not get that on TV in the provincial Austria.
I have just watched the Artist in the movies, and planning to go and see Hunger Games and The Woman in Black. This is where I am currently.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:05:34 AM PDT
Lara, try Boromir in LOTR?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 5:09:05 AM PDT
Lara says:
Will,
thank you.
I am sorry I am such a country bumpkin. Smile.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:52:30 AM PDT
That's quite OK Lara, I don't fancy him either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:02:46 AM PDT
Where do they get those ideas? I'm thinking it's related to the idea of someone starting from humble beginnings and rising to the challanges set before them. It's the quintessential American tale. (Although I'm sure it resonates worldwide.)

Yeah, it's been a little too done to death, but it's still appealing.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:18:27 AM PDT
Rising to challenges is one thing. Being destines to go from potboy to supreme ruler is another...

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:36:09 AM PDT
Marc S says:
Mysterious last words.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  460
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions