Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Most hated Fantasy Cliches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 460 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:58:10 PM PDT
Oh yes, marc.

especially prophetic ones.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 12:09:03 PM PDT
R.K. Finnell says:
Interesting thread. Mine would be the vampire who is so in love with the mortal they can't bring themselves to turn them into a vampire. I guess they are afraid once the girl/guy gets vamped they'll be different.
I think the problem for writers of fantasy is fear of doing something original. They see what works for others and don't want to stray from the path.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 12:29:51 PM PDT
RK, you might just have put your finger on a big problem.

I think that i'm original, but probably I'm not. Some, however, set out to get close to others.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 12:57:39 PM PDT
R.K. Finnell says:
I think the rule of thumb would be how fast they are cranking out the novels. Writing something new, that hasn't been done before takes a great deal of thought because you are working with a blank slate.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 1:06:01 PM PDT
Ash Williams says:
perfect hair

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:21:06 PM PDT
Not to mention that publishers would rather go with the sure thing and the known writer which is why it's hard to get anything original published, especially if it's written by an unknown. Still with the rise of digital readers and digital printing it makes it cheaper and easier to get stuff to market even on your own. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:41:09 PM PDT
R.K. Finnell says:
Very true. Even bad vampire stories sell. I'd rather write a good story than follow the pack. I figure the readers will come around eventually. All trends come to an end at some time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 4:50:01 PM PDT
Yeah, as long as you can self publish or something 'cause the money guys don't think that way. :)

Actually, I understand Amazon has a self publication thing but I don't know anything about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:24:48 AM PDT
If you want a really good vampire story then try Dance on Fire by James Garcia Jr. I'm not a horror fan but I loved this book. You can get it on Smashwords for about three dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:27:29 AM PDT
Amazon actually have two self publishing platforms. There is for Kindle and for paperbacks, music etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:38:12 AM PDT
R.K. Finnell says:
I'm really not a fan of the vampire genre, but my daughter is so I'll pass it on to her.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:14:52 AM PDT
Problem is that Createspace is useless for many users, as it only distributes in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 7:20:06 AM PDT
A better option is, but the real problem is getting people to part with their money on an unknown author. A recent book of mine has not sold anything in print format but is doing well in ebook.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 7:26:51 AM PDT
If you went to Lulu, I'm not surprised that you've no real book sales. Their shipping charges are astronomical

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 7:29:03 AM PDT
The postage is problem on just about POD services, especially if you live in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 8:16:56 AM PDT
Yeah I've heard about Lulu but haven't really checked it out. My thing right now (publishing wise) in an RPG I've been working off and on for a few years and for that I'm hoping to go through

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 9:41:07 AM PDT
Not with Lightning Source, as they have 3 different printing operations round the globe.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 10:53:44 AM PDT
Isn't it great that writers today have all these resources to end run around the publishing houses and get their material out. I figure in a few years time the cost of the devices will drop enough to where everyone will have one and actual printed material will go the way of eight tracks and vhs tapes and everyone who wants to will be able to print their own books, games, etc...

Of course the downside of that (which we're already kind of seeing in movies) is that if anyone can put out material then everyone has to do more to stand out from the crowd and that will be the real challenge of the next few years.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 10:57:06 AM PDT
There is also another thing that come with all this, and that is the faceless critic. Some people do not even finish a book before they write a review / crtique. Then they rattle on about bad grammar, spelling, typos etc all of which is filled with exactly the things that they are complaining about!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 10:57:50 AM PDT
Thanks, I'll have to go and check them out.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:00:22 AM PDT
Yeah but I tend to think most people can kinda tell legit criticisms from a blowhard just looking to rattle cages. Anyway, if there's say a handful of reviews like that and maybe twice as many that are good then the majority will win out. Also, the technology allows for the writer to respond directly to such critics and if they can respond intelligently and without descending to the reviewer's level then they will have truly won (and maybe gained support). :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 11:06:20 AM PDT
The worst that can happen is that you get too many top ratings too soon, especially as a new author. Then you get people flaming you for faking them. I have found though, that a really bad review can be used for good marketing. In the end, the best answer is to read it for yourself.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:24:29 AM PDT
Yeah, as they say, there's no such thing as a bad publicity. :) It's all in how you spin it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 11:54:51 AM PDT
R.K. Finnell says:
I've sold on lulu, but mostly to people who knew me and asked where I'd get the best royalty.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:16:57 PM PDT
The smaller publishing houses all go to LSI, which should tell you something. I bought a friend's book through Lulu, and the postage from the States was more than the book. All LSI books go out at local rates. It does make a difference.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  460
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions