Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Melanie Rawn will not be finishing Captal's Tower or Spellbinder

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 223 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2014 9:35:15 PM PDT
As glad as I am to hear this news, looking at your condescending rant... maybe you should take your own advice? You know, finding patience and tolerance for something you know nothing about? Like all these people you're being rude to? Have you participated in any of the discussions on these boards, or did you only show up to this one to make snotty comments?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2014 2:18:30 PM PDT
Martha says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 6:36:24 AM PDT
On her Facebook and posted on Kate Elliott's blog (7/23/14, 7/22/14):

For those of you wondering (and I'm sure most of you are), here is a direct message from Melanie:

Yes, I will write Captal's Tower. I'm very sorry it's taken so long. My sincere thanks to all of you who have been so patient. I'm currently writing the fifth book in the "Glass Thorns" series, and after that my plan is to get to work on Captal's Tower. If anything about that plan changes, I'll post on my website (http://www.melanierawn.com/).

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 11:36:40 AM PDT
My mother read the exile books when she was pregnant and when I was born I was given the name "Cailet" because she thought it was a cool name. It was different. When I got old enough I started reading the exile series and when I heard a third was coming out I was excited. But it has been almost 7 years since I learned a third was coming out. Then everyone learns that Melanie rawn decided not to write the third one and many others. I am very angry at this. I think Melanie rawn has screwed herself over by not completing the series & publishing cheesy books. Melanie only has herself to blame. Personally I really hope somewhere in the future she comes out with the third book but with her track record it is unlikely. Her publisher must be crazy to stay with her after most of her fans left her.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 10:34:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2014 10:36:57 PM PDT
I'd be interested to know how many people are, 17 years later, still interested in reading "The Captal's Tower" (100? 1,000? 10,000?). Not as a way by which to complain, or whine, but just to know how many are still out there. There must be some way to gather that information on a prominent site, in the simplest way possible, to gauge what CT readership would be. Perhaps that's frivolous, and it wouldn't effect real change. But aren't you curious?

https://www.change.org/petitions/melanie-rawn-know-how-many-people-would-read-the-captal-s-tower#share

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 6:01:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 26, 2014 6:02:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 4:54:37 PM PDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 11:36:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2014 2:10:03 PM PDT
pjf says:
I understand that her mother worked with her closely on that series, and when her mother died she had trouble going back to that series, characters, due to the grief. She thought she would work through it, but never could.

What I don't understand is why does her agent/publisher give her another "trilogy" contract then, rather than single book contracts. She has trouble with trilogies so just side step that issue. Make everything contracted for a monograph, a story that that ends in one book. I know publishers like series, but it isn't inviolate that everything Rawn produces has to be a trilogy. Or that an author can't continue a series, one book at a time, so long as no cliffhangers are left. Plenty of authors write series that have multiple books, none of which are all that dependent on the other. I don't really get the "trilogy" nonsense. It's been a long time since fantasy writers were trying to emulate the famous LOTR trilogy, after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 8:56:21 AM PDT
Not a very smart way to deal with it. If you like her writing, you should support her out the gate.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 12:42:30 PM PDT
I also really enjoyed the Exiles books. But as a customer, there are many authors I enjoy who complete their series. Those are the ones I'm gonna prefer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2014 7:01:52 PM PDT
Martha says:
If you had read all the negative, judgmental and condemning words her 'precious fans' had to say against her, you would have been angry, too! She doesn't deserve your judgmentality. Walk a mile in her shoes!

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 6:52:47 PM PDT
Martha says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:20:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 24, 2014 8:20:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 7:05:50 AM PDT
T. Delaveaux says:
I have my doubts that GRRM will *admit* he's not going to finish the series, but other than that..

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 11:37:46 AM PDT
I'm surprised to see this thread resurrected. She's admitted she's not going to finish this series, I thought.

I'm just hoping this doesn't become the story for Game of Thrones as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 3:26:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2013 3:27:15 AM PDT
M. Z. says:
SHe just pulled "David Gerrold" on her fans, that's all. He also had personal problems, and never finished his "War with Chtorr" series - his site still states he will finish it "till the end of 2011", even though everybody knows he never will. Shameful, both of him and Melany Rawn....

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 4:17:11 AM PDT
Matthew, were she to have stated so people'd not be angry. But for well over a decade she held up the statement that she would be finishing it "soon", as soon as she got back to where she could write.
During that interval she released a series of other books, putting the lie to the statement she could not write.
Even now, after she's publicly stated she won't indeed write it, her own website still list the book as being "forthcoming", as it has since the release of Mageborn Traitor in 1997 (yes, 16 years now, through several redesigns of the site).
For as long, the site has stated that "Captal's Tower will be released as soon as DAW receives the final manuscript", as if that were just around the corner.

tbh the website has not been updated in almost a decade, but still.

iIOW It's not the not writing the book that ticks people off, but the fact that she continues to state she will "at some point" write it when apparently having no intent of ever doing so.

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 8:12:57 PM PDT
Has anyone considered that maybe Ms. Rawn simply is unable to finish Exiles? Was it written originally in partnership with someone who is no longer available, perhaps because of having passed away, someone who was perhaps the true driving force behind the story? If that were the case, it could explain her inability to finish the trilogy. I have not read enough of her stories to analyze whether or not the writing style is the same throughout, but after reading half of Ambrai, finding she never completed the series, and putting down Ambrai because I don't want to continue with a series that will frustrate me with incompletion, I got to thinking about all this and decided to post. Everyone had a theory I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 10:10:47 AM PST
Hey Zackery, self-promotion is only allowed in the Meet Our Authors forum, so could you repost your comments without the promo for your book. I was going to let it slide, but you're doing it on every post now. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:40:30 AM PST
Silent Ned says:

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:04:03 PM PST
J. Osborne says:
Melanie Rawn used to be my favorite author and now just mentioning her name makes me sad. I stuck with her and bought Spellbinder, then Fire Raiser even though I didn't like Spellbinder at all. Then, right in the middle of Fire Raiser, her "author" character goes on and on about not finishing a book series. The attitude seemed to be "screw the fans, I'm writing what I want" and it was crystal clear that this was Melanie speaking about Captal's Tower. That scene right there made me so mad that I will never buy another book by her again. If, and it's a big if, the Captal's Tower ever gets written I might check it out from the library, but I refuse to contribute to someone who would be so disrespectful to her fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:30:59 AM PST
R. Benoit says:
Yes. I'd choose a badly written scrawl over a decade of wondering. I'd take a ~pamphlet~ at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 8:43:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 8:44:31 AM PDT
Anthony says:
I stand by the comment i made in this thread 9 months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fantasy/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdMsgID=Mx1STD3QMOGUIVN&cdMsgNo=189&cdPage=8&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxI6R319OF3LY3#Mx1STD3QMOGUIVN

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 4:04:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 4:06:33 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I am sad to to find this out but I kinda suspected as much. Exiles was one of many fantasy works I'm waiting to have an ending too (along with Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, Kingkiller, Stormlight Archive). I actually dug out my copies of the first 2 to re-read sometime soon. I also read all of the Dragon Star/Dragon Prince books as well when I was in my early teens. Great books. Can't say that I got into her other works at all. If she ever finishes Captal's Tower I'll be sure to buy it. Hard for me to get mad at a fantasy writer lol : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 3:47:34 AM PDT
lwd says:
I can't imagine any author being able to finish a series after taking a 14 year hiatus. Your belief systems change as you get older, your entire world view is not the same. You can't think the way you did over a decade before. How can anyone get back into the same mindset?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  223
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions