Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Melanie Rawn will not be finishing Captal's Tower or Spellbinder

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 210 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 7:05:50 AM PDT
T. Delaveaux says:
I have my doubts that GRRM will *admit* he's not going to finish the series, but other than that..

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 11:37:46 AM PDT
I'm surprised to see this thread resurrected. She's admitted she's not going to finish this series, I thought.

I'm just hoping this doesn't become the story for Game of Thrones as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 3:26:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2013 3:27:15 AM PDT
M. Z. says:
SHe just pulled "David Gerrold" on her fans, that's all. He also had personal problems, and never finished his "War with Chtorr" series - his site still states he will finish it "till the end of 2011", even though everybody knows he never will. Shameful, both of him and Melany Rawn....

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 4:17:11 AM PDT
Matthew, were she to have stated so people'd not be angry. But for well over a decade she held up the statement that she would be finishing it "soon", as soon as she got back to where she could write.
During that interval she released a series of other books, putting the lie to the statement she could not write.
Even now, after she's publicly stated she won't indeed write it, her own website still list the book as being "forthcoming", as it has since the release of Mageborn Traitor in 1997 (yes, 16 years now, through several redesigns of the site).
For as long, the site has stated that "Captal's Tower will be released as soon as DAW receives the final manuscript", as if that were just around the corner.

tbh the website has not been updated in almost a decade, but still.

iIOW It's not the not writing the book that ticks people off, but the fact that she continues to state she will "at some point" write it when apparently having no intent of ever doing so.

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 8:12:57 PM PDT
Has anyone considered that maybe Ms. Rawn simply is unable to finish Exiles? Was it written originally in partnership with someone who is no longer available, perhaps because of having passed away, someone who was perhaps the true driving force behind the story? If that were the case, it could explain her inability to finish the trilogy. I have not read enough of her stories to analyze whether or not the writing style is the same throughout, but after reading half of Ambrai, finding she never completed the series, and putting down Ambrai because I don't want to continue with a series that will frustrate me with incompletion, I got to thinking about all this and decided to post. Everyone had a theory I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 10:10:47 AM PST
Hey Zackery, self-promotion is only allowed in the Meet Our Authors forum, so could you repost your comments without the promo for your book. I was going to let it slide, but you're doing it on every post now. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:40:30 AM PST
Silent Ned says:
Melanie Rawn...that brings back memories. Back during the 90's I devoured Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince Trilogy). it was interesting, seeing an old-school high fantasy series written by a female author...back then she was among the first. Real trailblazer...

Gaebrel's Gamble (The Nine Suns)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:04:03 PM PST
J. Osborne says:
Melanie Rawn used to be my favorite author and now just mentioning her name makes me sad. I stuck with her and bought Spellbinder, then Fire Raiser even though I didn't like Spellbinder at all. Then, right in the middle of Fire Raiser, her "author" character goes on and on about not finishing a book series. The attitude seemed to be "screw the fans, I'm writing what I want" and it was crystal clear that this was Melanie speaking about Captal's Tower. That scene right there made me so mad that I will never buy another book by her again. If, and it's a big if, the Captal's Tower ever gets written I might check it out from the library, but I refuse to contribute to someone who would be so disrespectful to her fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:30:59 AM PST
R. Benoit says:
Yes. I'd choose a badly written scrawl over a decade of wondering. I'd take a ~pamphlet~ at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 8:43:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 8:44:31 AM PDT
Anthony says:
I stand by the comment i made in this thread 9 months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fantasy/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdMsgID=Mx1STD3QMOGUIVN&cdMsgNo=189&cdPage=8&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxI6R319OF3LY3#Mx1STD3QMOGUIVN

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 4:04:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 4:06:33 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I am sad to to find this out but I kinda suspected as much. Exiles was one of many fantasy works I'm waiting to have an ending too (along with Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, Kingkiller, Stormlight Archive). I actually dug out my copies of the first 2 to re-read sometime soon. I also read all of the Dragon Star/Dragon Prince books as well when I was in my early teens. Great books. Can't say that I got into her other works at all. If she ever finishes Captal's Tower I'll be sure to buy it. Hard for me to get mad at a fantasy writer lol : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 3:47:34 AM PDT
lwd says:
I can't imagine any author being able to finish a series after taking a 14 year hiatus. Your belief systems change as you get older, your entire world view is not the same. You can't think the way you did over a decade before. How can anyone get back into the same mindset?

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:49:26 AM PDT
M. Lago says:
Man oh man! Well I am utterly sad now. SERIOUSLY? NO CAPTALS TOWER! ARGH!!!!!!!! Well....maybe she will write it someday. I know that I will just keep waiting patiently. I am a little confused at some of Rawns fans though. I am not sure where all the hatred is coming from. Maybe you guys just need a joint or something to chill out. So what? the series appears as if it will never be finished oh well. as many of you have pointed out there are a lot of good authors out there now with some really good series; pick it up enjoy it and dive into another world and forget your anger. Yeah, I am super sad at the thought of the continuation of the sweet and torturous wait but I also suffer from depression and I know how hard it is to sometimes find the motivation to even start something. For example, it took me 10 years to organize my photos and put them all into albums.. I just couldn't get the energy to sift through my life and put it in order. Melanie Rawn is a fantastic writer and yes just like all the greats she has had failures and I feel it is personally wrong to crucify her for those failures. Would you crucify your own child when they fail at something? I mean not all great actors put on great shows and not all great writers write award winning pieces every time. I am positive that one day Ms. Rawn will wake up and have a deep desire to finish this fantabulous trilogy. I would however, Ms Rawn, suggest you read this series and fall in love with the world and characters as we all have and maybe that might give you some motivation :) And to all her fans, ex fans, etc; the way to deal with depression is to be understanding. How the hell is her depression going to get better with you jerks bashing her as you are? If I was her (and I have a feeling this is the case) I would not write jack for a bunch of heartless, cruel, and unsympathetic jerks. My hats to you Rawn and though I am irked I have faith in you..Thank the Cubs for my show faith and patience :)

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:01:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 2:05:33 AM PDT
Muhsketchy says:
I arrived a little late to the dance but a few things caught my attention. Parkermann347 attributes this information to something posted by the author, '...SPELLBINDER 3: There will not be a third volume of Spellbinder. This is not my choice. The novel is plotted and planned, I have about 1/4 of it written, I would like very much to finish it. I have a lot of fun with Holly and Evan, and I think you'd find the continuation of their story a nice afternoon's entertainment. But the first two books did not sell as expected, and so a third book in the series is no longer a possibility.' That really does sound as though the decision was not one she made but something which was decided by the publisher. Now maybe the poor sales were due to fans holding off on purchasing her series until it was finished due to her poor follow through in the past.

Perhaps her publishing delays were caused, in part, by something another customer posted. J. T. Wenting says: 'Ms. Rawn suffered from severe depression and other mental health issues for years, decided to abandon her past work and start from scratch.' As adults we are all aware that fulfilling commitments can be challenging. Something tells me those challenges are only multiplied when a person suffers from mental health issues.

My heart goes out to Ms. Rawn if this is, in fact, one of the challenges she has to face while trying to continue her writing career. I know it can't be easy and I, along with many others, am still reeling from the suicide of one of my favorite urban fantasy authors, Jennifer Rardin in 2010. Depression is rough and to work in an area where so many people get a chance to criticize your efforts must prove daunting to even those with the toughest psyche. Most of us think it is rough to face criticism of our work from one supervisor and a few co-workers! Think about taking potshots from numerous blogs and countless reviews where even some of the most grammatically challenged seem to believe they can do a better job than the author!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 3:47:14 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"An author can not start a series for one publisher and then finish it off for another, or self publish the end. "

Yes they can. Look at Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The first few books were published by Simon and Schuster, and then the rest are published by McMillan. It happens. One just needs to be released from their contract.

Sucks for this author, though. The odds are that her publisher do retain the rights to the characters and world she created.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 3:40:44 PM PDT
I will never buy another Rawn title again, ever. I'd buy The Captal's Tower, read it for closure, then never pick up anything written by her in the future. I'm sorry, life sucks sometimes and we all have bad stretches, but she's messed her fans around too much and for too long. We're the ones that made her a lucrative living, back when her writing was actually worth reading. Rawn today is just a shadow of her former self. Spellbinder sucked. Unless she has extensive notes on Exiles, which I doubt considering she asked her fans for "help" on her message board (wtf? just pick up your own damn books and re-read them?), even if Captal's Tower was published tomorrow, it would probably also suck on an epic scale. Time to give up her day job.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 7:52:11 PM PDT
<<She should consider publishing the final books herself through Smash Words or KDP. She'll have full control over it and she can do whatever she likes with the series without annoying publisher intervention like that.>>

It doesn't work that way. When a publisher buys the rights to a series they buy the rights to the characters and world. An author can not start a series for one publisher and then finish it off for another, or self publish the end. Depending on the contract it could be ten years, fifteen years or even longer before the rights revert to the author. Now you would think that it's entirely reasonable that a publisher would just give an author the rights back if they have no plans to continue the series. But publishers aren't reasonable. They hold on to rights with a death grip just in case Hollywood might become interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 12:14:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 12, 2012 12:39:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:42:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 2:45:05 AM PDT
Pinkie Pie says:
She should consider publishing the final books herself through Smash Words or KDP. She'll have full control over it and she can do whatever she likes with the series without annoying publisher intervention like that.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:02:58 AM PDT
Ozwas says:
I believe that she has just run out of ideas on how to finish the exiles series or as they say run out of steam. i certainly wont buy any of her series unless the full series is completed and published while I like her style I dont like being left cliff hanging unlike robert jordan who cared about his readers obviously ms rawn doesnt

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:19:21 AM PDT
I think you are all being unfairly cruel and unkind to Melanie Rawn. I love her work and have it all. I also re-read all of them maybe once a year, and I would get excited all over again about her writing were she to publish Capital's Tower or anything. The year of publication (or the method) wouldn't stop me at all from reading a really good writer. Good writers like her are eternal! Publisher - please re-think!

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 10:55:01 PM PST
Anthony says:
huh. i've heard of melanie rawn, largely through advertisements for her books in the back of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series, and had planned on eventually checking her out, but if she has such a poor history of actually completing series', i don't think i am even going to bother.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 9:11:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2011 9:22:56 PM PST
John S. Dean says:
Found this thread during my normal "End of year check up on Captal's Tower" googling...

Rawn frustrates the @#(* out of me because of this lag with CT, and I fully sympathize with the people irked (to put it mildly) with her. And I also understand the irritation with the cavalier way she just tosses the fan base little quips and seems almost to belittle us for wanting closure on the story.

I also fully understand and agree with the "She ain't my bi#%@" side of things.

The problem is that she used to write good books. I first got hooked on her writing with the first sunrunner series, and then the second trilogy, which I enjoyed even more than the first - something VERY uncommon. I go through spurts where I'll read as much as a book a day. I've read thousands and thousands of sci/fi and fantasy books. And the number of the ones I'll re-read is VERY small - can count on the fingers on both hands... And some of them I have pretty much memorized. Her sunrunner series is one of those.

I also immensely enjoyed the Exiles series. And have re-read that many times as well.

I'm used to waiting for books, but not for this long. I didn't care for anything she's written after Mageborn Traitor, since compared to the SR and Exiles series, they were just lacking in all respects as far as the things I look for in my leisure reading. I do enjoy the occasional "fun" romp (ala Harry Dresden or similar) but from an author who wrote some amazingly epic stories, I just can't enjoy the, in my mind, "lesser works."

Problem is that she did such a damn fine job writing the Exiles story that we all feel like the guy at the headman's block who is waiting for the executioner who suddenly had a back spasm, and has to straighten himself out again so he can swing properly... I think by now everyone who WANTED that book written has clearly written it off at this point. I know I fully expect i will never be written. I'd just about bet anything I own on that fact and not be worried about having to pay up. But that doesn't mean we don't WISH... HOPE... Hence my annual end of year googling for any further rumors...

Will I buy this new series of hers? No. But not necessarily because I'm peeved with her (though I am), and not necessarily because I don't trust her not to finish another series (though I don't), but simply because it sounds pretty lame. Could she do a good job with it? Based on writing last century, I'd think she could give it a credible run for the money... But it's still not my cup of tea, so for that reason as WELL as the others, I won't waste my money on it.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but because of the insane amount of reading I do for enjoyment and escape, I have gotten very good at judging my potential enjoyment of a book based on the blurb on the back of it giving me the outline... This outline doesn't appeal.

I used to agree with the people from 8 or 10 years ago, about how I'd rather "wait for her to write it well, rather than have her write it when she's not feeling as if she'll give it justice." But let's be honest - at this point I'd settle for a 3 page synopsis just to have CLOSURE. Because the first two books of the series were that good, and the story THAT compelling to me, that I simply want to know HOW IT ENDS at this point. What were the secrets we've all been wondering? I don't even care about the good story anymore, I just would like to have those answers for myself because of the time and emotion I had invested in the characters. It would simply be nice to know how it was going to end... I'd rather have quick closure with answers than nothing at all. By the same token, I'm not one who will go and do what the fanatics on her fan site will do, and post and talk and collaborate and spend years guessing what might be... I read to sit back and relax and enjoy a good story. If I wanted to do what they're doing, I'd just write my OWN story...

If it comes out, I'll buy it in a heartbeat - good or bad, I wouldn't really care, I would just like to be able to CLOSE that story off in the back of my mind.

And while I still have a lot of respect for her abilities and her talent, and fully agreeing that she owes me nothing because it's her story to tell, not mine to demand, I have to say the shoddy way she appears to treat the people she's hooked and has been playing for all these years doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather see her simply admit that it won't come, rather than drag this out and poke fun of the situation and show a lack of respect for the people who bought her books and made her career possible by supporting it in the first place...

Part of her problem may be that she peaked too early - and maybe she started to realize that a decade or more ago, that nothing she could do was going to compare to what had already been done in the past... Her latest novels and ideas seem more like someone trudging to work to do their daily chore to keep food on the table. From someone who wrote such sweeping epic tales last century, everything else has been a letdown. I hadn't even realized Diviner came out this summer, and I'm an Amazon Vine member who totally missed the new book in the Vine program until I saw it showing in Amazon with ratings already, and was going to rant about people rating books before they even come out (drives me nuts) until I saw they were amazon vine reviews... And unless very bored for material, won't get it even through this free program next month if it's still on the list...

I still tell people who enjoy the genre that they need to read the sunrunner books, but let's be honest, this horse ran its last winning race a while back, and all that's going to happen now is the mediocre showings until it's finally put out to pasture...

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 5:29:35 PM PDT
V. Ailes says:
I have waited years for last of this trilogy to no avail. I have read the series a few times in hopes that the 3rd one would come out, and never have. I understand she had issues, ok we all do. But how can a author not realize it's her fan base that keeps her books selling? I go into the bookstores specifically looking for sci-fi and fantasy series so that I can get really into the world that the author has created. Every time I went to the store I always looked under her name for that long awaited 3rd book, never to see it there, but what I did see were other books she had written. I NEVER picked up any of her books again. Yes, an author does put time and effort into writing, but also a reader puts time, money, and faith into a series as well. No wonder her books haven't sold well since, no one wants to invest their time and money towards a series that will never be completed, and look it happened again with Spellbinder. It may not have been her choice but how can she not see that the backlash was something she herself created? She had created two finished series before the Exiles and was a success, so we all know she can write but you would think she would be appreciative of the success she has had and that it is her loyal fan base that got her there. How can you hate the people who loved your work? It is no wonder her other books had tanked, why should we feel loyal to an author who can't finish two sets of series and then goes on to another? Because of her I choose not to support her as an author until she finished the Exiles series. And the only thing she has done is made me feel justified in not having waste my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 10:53:14 AM PDT
Rich Stoehr says:
To answer your question, Tammi, I'd still want to read 'Captal's Tower' - I've read more good than bad from her, and I have the feeling that the only way she'll return to the Exiles universe is when she thinks she can do it right. I may not like her recent work as much, but she earned a lot of cred with me with her earlier books.

I know it's not a popular viewpoint in this thread, but personally I see it as a good thing that she hasn't tried to force out 'Captal's Tower' yet. She could try, and probably crank something out, and the result would probably be disappointing to her fans and to herself. I respect her decision not to write it until she feels she can get it right. Maybe that's never - it would be disappointing, but a fact of an artist's life sometimes. You don't always get to finish what you start.

The Spellbinder series didn't need (or deserve) a third volume, so I personally am glad to see it won't be continuing. Whoever made that call made the right one.

Hopefully the new series will be better. It certainly sounds more imaginative!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

ARRAY(0xd9ddfd10)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  210
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions