Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Which book would you most like to be a character in?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 3:02:56 PM PST
Sometimes, when reading a book, I wish I could live in the book, be part of the world I'm reading about or be a character in the book. Have you ever felt like that?

When reading one of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books I longed to have a dragon and be one of the riders.

What book or character makes you want to leap onto the page to experience it first hand?

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 3:15:05 PM PST
Marta Szemik says:
Definitely Lord of the Rings. I could picture myself as almost any character in that world!

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:13:42 PM PST
I wanted to be a dragonrider when I read Anne McCaffrey's books, though my fear of heights and motion sickness that I've gained with age seems to make that dream an impossible one. lol

As far as "Lord of the Rings" is concerned, I would totally join the Rohirrim if Elfhelm was my marshal. I don't know if it's the way he jokes around with Merry or if it's his apparent comfort with Dernhelm, but I've pictured him as an attractive man in addition to a competent leader whenever I read that book. Pathetic, I know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 10:29:46 PM PST
LotR for sure! I'd love to be Morgoth (Saurons boss). Now there's power for you.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:40:46 PM PST
The downsides to being Morgoth are having crappy music and a wierd-looking crown with a missing jewel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 10:58:17 PM PST
lwd says:
Elena in The Fairy Godmother (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, Book 1). It would be much more fun being the fairy Godmother than being Cinderella.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 12:05:13 AM PST
With my luck, any world I picked I'd be a peasant obliterated in an evil warlord's thirst for conquest or a person on the street killed by a demon. Lots of really nasty stuff happens in the books I read!

So I'm thinking maybe Narnia with the nice talking animals is the way to go. ;) Though being a dragonrider would be pretty dang cool too. Could we move the dragons from Pern to Narnia? Then I'd be set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:31:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 12:31:55 AM PST
lwd says:
Robin -

No! No! The evil warlord (really an evil -but incredibly gorgeous wizard) is dazzled by your beauty. He wants to ravish you, but demands that you want him as well before he will take your innocence. He puts you in the black tower, you wait for the knight with the magical sword to rescue you, you let down you golden hair from the tower (wait, sorry, I just watched "Tangled" with my grandsons)... um, go back a page... the knight stabs the evil wizard with his magical sword... and then, and then...

The handsome Wizard turns into a good and honorable Magician! He still wants to ravish you, but now, you want to ravish him back! The knight... well, he goes off to save another damsel in distress (it's the only job he can get in this economy).

You then live happily ever after (and still fly off to Narnia on the dragon from Pern - maybe for your honeymoon?).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 1:18:05 AM PST
true

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:13:17 AM PST
I don't want to fight battles, and I don't want evil magic. I think I'll take OZ, perhaps near Glinda the Good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 11:12:16 AM PST
Aerin says:
Quite a lot of nasty things happen in Narnia - the books, I don't know about the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 11:14:23 AM PST
Aerin says:
I prefer the more active roles. I have no patience with sitting in a tower waiting for someone to come along and rescue me - I can do that here. I want to go down and stab the evil wizard myself!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 11:33:58 AM PST
lwd says:
Aerin -

*nods with agreement*. I'll give it another shot.

The knight starts fighting with the evil wizard. It's more than obvious to you that the knight is outclassed. Rolling your eyes in pity at his sword fighting ability, you (accidentally) trip him, the magical sword flies up into the air, you catch it as it's coming down. You face the evil wizard angrily. "Leave that poor boy alone!" you shout, "this is between you and me!" The wizard grins. "You will be mine forever, if you lose this fight," he sneers. "Ha!" you reply, scornfully. "En guarde!"

Clang, swish, parry, clang (repeat as needed)... the sword is getting heavy (it's as big as you are), your arms are tired, you fall to your knees, panting. The evil magician comes closer knowing he's won... But!... aha! you rise from your clever feint, stabbing him without mercy through the heart. The air shimmers, the wizard falls... But... he does not die, the magical sword removes the evil from his heart... "Forgive me, my Lady..."

Then you ravish him (he really is a stone fox, its the least you can do).
After, you give the knight sword fighting lessons so he doesn't mess up the next time he tries to save a fair maiden.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:10:03 PM PST
Aerin says:
Much better, but I'd just cut the knight out of the story. You sneak out of the tower at night and find a magic sword. You take it to protect yourself as you escape. The wizard catches you and you attack him. "you fall to your knees, panting. The evil magician comes closer knowing he's won... But!... aha! you rise from your clever feint, stabbing him without mercy through the heart. The air shimmers, the wizard falls... But... he does not die, the magical sword removes the evil from his heart... "Forgive me, my Lady..."
End of story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:22:38 PM PST
lwd says:
Aerin -

What? You're not going to ravish him before the end?

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 1:45:48 PM PST
Ravashing is bad, it leads to babies. I got two of those and its not fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 1:53:18 PM PST
Aerin says:
Some things should be left to the reader's imagination. I have a particularly vivid imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 2:05:58 PM PST
lwd says:
Colin - good point.

But... since this is a fantasy, conception can only be achieved during a full solar eclipse, in the garden of Eros, on an island that can only be reached by a sea serpent who can only travel during the day after eating rampion, which only grows during the second spring of the year (on a Tuesday).

The H/h should be able to resist the challenge unless they are really into changing muddy diapers. (In which case they're on their own and must suffer the consequences of their lustful actions.)

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 2:31:08 PM PST
I want to be Eowyn. Because then I get Faramir in the end. But I'm going to skip the whole unrequited love for the guy who is 70 years older than me. Yes, I am a dork. I once went to the trouble of determining how old Aragorn ACTUALLY was before he returned as king. He was like 90.

The only problem with Middle Earth is the one identified by the guy who played Gandalf. There's no sex in Middle Earth. If I were Eowyn, warrior princess, there would be plenty of sex in Middle Earth, of that you can be sure.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 2:31:14 PM PST
lwd says:
I have been more than enjoying this thread, but I have to leave and clean house. It's my eldest daughter's 40th birthday (which is very strange, since I'm sure I'm really only 32 (my current personal fantasy)).

You guys are are a true kick to converse with... I hope this thread keeps going so I can come back.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 3:23:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 3:24:51 PM PST
I've always thought that Aragorn and Eowyn both mistook Eowyn's desire to be romantic rather than the simple desire to fight for a strong king. The first time we see her she "looked on [Theoden] wiith cool pity in her eyes" and saw Aragorn as a "tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, greycloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt." She also compares her love of Aragorn to the love Legolas and Gimli have for him, which seems to hint at platonic love rather than unrequited, sexual love. Did she understand it? Probably not; she grew up with Theoden being useless and Wormtongue telling her that she was useless, so anyone not telling her she was useless would instantly get a special place in her heart. This would probably explain the tears about not being allowed to fight more than anything else.

On the other hand, when she first met Faramir, she saw "grave tenderness in his eyes" before she saw "here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle." In other words, she wasn't judging him on his leadership, just his tender eyes and apparent strength. ;)

Now that I have cemented my place as a nerd for looking that up, I say that you, Christine, can have Faramir in our Middle Earth takeover if I can have Elfhelm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 3:32:22 PM PST
Aerin says:
You do have a point. Most fantasy books seem to ignore the consequences of that particular pleasure, but then, they're fantasies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 3:32:33 PM PST
He's all yours. I will also cede the title of "Greatest Middle Earth Nerd" to you. Unless you want to share it. ;*)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 3:42:37 PM PST
That is a very good point. I should have remembered that, so in that case, go lust!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 3:42:48 PM PST
Yay, Elfhelm!

We can share the title; I'll just take the "Greatest Rohan Nerd" part, because it's painfully true. I knew who Brego was before he was a horse in the movies, and I've theorized on the identity of Helm's unnamed daughter who was mysteriously mentioned only once in Appendix A. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions