Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Authors-read before posting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 2:51:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 6:56:23 AM PST
Brian says:
Do not post about your book in this, or any other discussion forum. You're only going to hurt your chances of making a sale. The posters know one another and will boycot your work.
I'm a writer as well (probably a fact known by those who've seen my posts), and NEVER ONCE have mentioned the name of my work, or even my own name, for that matter. The reason is simple...I don't want to piss off the people who may have an influence on my sales.
But, good news! You can take part in the discussions, adding your own opinions and comments. You can even say that you're a writer. They don't mind, as long as you are a partisipant and not a spammer. And you won't be the only writer here. In fact, I enjoy, from time to time, taking part in threads that interest me.
PLEASE, take this advise. There are better sites to promote yourself....better ways all together, for that matter. A facebook page will get you more sales than posting here. Or, here's an idea-save up about $2000-$5000, and hire an agency to promote your work. This is what the King's, Rowling's, and Riordan's of the world do (though on a larger scale). The return is generally very good as long as you research, and pick a good agency. But, as Seth McFarlane said, "I digest".
I hate to see a new author do things that will hurt their chances...so you really should pay attention to what I've written.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:01:11 AM PST
Couldn't agree more!

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:19:22 AM PST
Too right.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:34:41 AM PST
some you can do it you are an author:

make sure that your amazon profile (that we click on your name) is an author profile - with info on your books - because if we get curious, we want to easily be able to find out the info we seek

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 2:32:06 PM PST
Brian says:
Good idea.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:41:22 AM PST
Bump

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:30:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:31:55 AM PST
Brian says:
I've written a few of these threads. I wonder if they have an impact? I really don't fault the author's. They have no idea what to do and are desperate to sell their work. Sadly, there is really no one out there to tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing.
I was lucky to have been warned about spamming on amazon by another author, and took the time to read the angry anti-spamming posts on this and other boards. I've come to realize that these boards are terrible sales tool anyway. After trying anything I could think of to get attention, what I found is that an author is his/her own greatest weakness. People WILL NOT listen to an author promoting their own work. This is why reviews are so very important (both on amazon and off). Even bad reviews, of which I have received a few, (you can't please everyone), tell people that your book deserves attention.
The trick is to let other people do you promotion for you. If I went on this forum, telling everyone how great I am and that they should read my books, you'd know I was personally biased and ignore me. If other people talk about my work you pay attention. This fundamental fact is what new author's tend not to understand until after they've pissed off quite a few people. They can only hope that when they do, the damage isn't too great.
There should be an advisory forum, where experienced authors help newbies. I'd be on it all the time trying to get tips and ideas. I've had work out there for a little over a year. Thankfully, I have a strong background in sales, which helped more than I can say.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:00:32 AM PST
the best piece of advice I ever heard an author give was, "the best promotion you can have is to continue putting out well-written, well-edited books" - because word of mouth is the best promotion method out there

for me, it can make or break - if I heard good things about an author, I will be more willing to try their stuff, than hearing that an author sucks/comments on bad reviews/self-promotes etc

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:35:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 5:36:31 AM PST
Brian says:
True. But even Tolkien get bad reviews. It's part of the deal. It can sting, but if you allow it to teach you instead of stop you, you come out better for it.
The fact is if one reader loves a book and another hates it...they're both right. Not evey book is for every reader. I've read books that all my friends love, and couldn't finish them. That doesn't mean they were wrong, just that it wasn't for me. The top 100 best sellers, all have dozens of one star reviews. Does that mean the book is terrible? Of course not.
I do agree that good work is the best weapon. Sadly, I've read great books over the years from indy authors that never get noticed. It's too bad really.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 6:07:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:18:57 AM PST
B. Anderson,
I didn't like Tolkien, but recognize he is accepted by many as great.

Unfortunately, some authors will use sock puppets to get good reviews or press. Believe it or not, sometimes it isn't the author's fault. "Friends" will give well-meaning reviews, which give a cummulative effect of looking like sock puppets. When I look at reviews, I always check to see what else the reviewer reviewed and discount any that only reviewed that book.

EDITED TO ADD:
You know the type of review that I mean:
This was a wonderful book!! I couldn't put it down. The author had a great plot, interesting characters, and wrote beautifully. I can't wait to read any other books by this author. Good work [Author's Name]!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:46:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:48:13 AM PST
Brian says:
Indeed I do. As much as I enjoy a love fest review (in fact I REALLY do), I've learned more from the 3 stars. For example, two said that I didn't focus on the main character enough. This has changed my approach to later books. Another pointed out spelling errors. This made me flip out. Editors and proof readers were well paid to see that didn't happen. But again, at least I found out. Of course now I'm obligated to send God knows how many people a corrected copy. You have no idea how angry that can make you. To publish a book takes more than just hours, it takes dollars. When several thousand dollars are spent on supposed professionals, you expect things to be right. But, that's the way it goes. I've learned you have to weed your way through crap to get to gold.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:12:47 AM PST
I'm coming to the conclusion that 3* reviews sell more books than the 5*, as readers want to see if the criticisms are justified.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:29:21 AM PST
Brian says:
Perhaps. I really can't say. I tend to look at bad reviews and see if the reviewer had anything to say worth hearing. There are people out there that are just nasty. Example-J.L Doty's The Child of the Sword series. Book One has mostly great reviews (3,4,5 star). Then there was a single one star that called his work a piece of crap. I didn't give it any weight. Clearly Doty is a good writer (though I haven't read his work, and no I'm not Doty). He has several books out and most of his reviews are positive.
Then you have to take into account did the reader buy the book not understanding what it was? Did he think a yound adult epic, was similar to a George Martin book? If so, of course he/she won't like it. But given the whole look inside feature, it's their own fault.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:49:30 AM PST
I think that proves my point. You were looking with interest as the lower * reviews

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:58:39 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 10:00:14 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:59:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 4:54:07 AM PST
Brian says:
You're right that your typical 3 star is more informative than your 5 star love fests. Of course then it becomes subjective. I've seen people hate on Tolkien, Jordan, Sanderson, etc. to a point I wanted to critisize their critisism. I didn't, but I really wanted to.
I'd add that, if you're a writer, the first time you get a bad review SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS! No matter how much you tell yourself that it's going to happen sooner or later, it SUUUUUUUUUUKS! Eventually, it doesn't bother you as much. But when you get beat-up that first time, it's one hell of a blow to the old ego. I didn't write a word for two days when it happened to me, though I pretended it didn't bother me. I wanted so badly to respond to the review, but that's the absolute worst thing for an author to do. Readers have the right to think you're terrible and say so. They spent their money and took their time to read your work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:23:42 AM PST
I got my baptism of fire on Authonomy, before my stuff saw publication, so I got over it pretty quickly. And in the right place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:37:02 AM PST
Brian says:
Don't get me wrong. Prior to publication, I'd been critisized. But there's nothing quite like that first public flogging.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:43:14 PM PST
There are people--mean people--on Kindle forum who will trash a book without having read it. Yet you'd best ignore them. Eventually readers can figure it out for themselves.

One other thing that as a writer I advise against--if you can practice the self-discipline (and after all you did it to write and publish) but NEVER answer a comment! No matter how it stings--and they can sting! It simply serves no purpose for the author to try to debate a disgruntled reader--or a vicious one.

Sometimes if you're lucky another reader will jump to your defense. It's mean world out there, but there are still some very decent people in it. Thankfully.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:00:35 PM PST
H. R. Holt says:
I'm a writer too, but always a reader - first and foremost. :) Thanks for this thread, though. Really sheds some crucial light on forum participation.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:59:10 AM PST
terriercat1 says:
I don't know how many or if any of you will see this, but I felt I should say thank you to everyone who has participated in this forum. I am a really new writer and this forum has really helped inform me on what not to do, before I did it. Although I didn't read this before thinking about doing things. I have also always been a reader and have bought many books from amazon but until now, I never really knew if people really paid attention to reviews or not, because I would always see a book I think looks interesting, buy it, and that was it for me. I just kept finding that there were good and bad reviews on books, but many of the ones I looked at never really explained why they liked it or didn't so I started just ignoring reviews. I probably won't be saying this when it happens, but I am looking forward to seeing reviews about my stuff, both good and bad, as long as the reviewer says why they gave it the review they did, I guess based on what you guys say, it could be helpful to know. So thanks again for all the information you all have put into this forum!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:24:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:00:00 PM PST
Brian says:
As much as the first bad review stings, the first good one will have you walking on clouds. Your first book will teach you lessons that only releasing a book can teach. For me it was "You can never have too many proof readers".
One more thing...if any new authors would like some advise as to good ways to get your name out there, leave your e-mail on the board and I'll be happy to help. I spend a great deal of time and effort trying to promote the indy author community in any way I can. I can't leave my e-mail because it would be the same as self-promo being that it's the name of my work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions