Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Looking for fun, light traditional fantasy books/series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 3:58:23 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Something along the lines of the Raine Benares and Legend of Eli Monpress series or Steelflower and When Demons Walk.

Books that are pretty much sword and sorcery (no Urban fantasy recommendations please) with some humor, "quirkiness", and characters that not only are not on some sort of "Honorable Quest" or "cookie cutter" heroic but have some bad (or outside the law attitude" about them.

Any recommendations of Kindle books in that style? Please no self-promo or Urban fantasy....

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 4:51:55 PM PDT
Chris says:
Hi!
I think you would enjoy any work by Brandon Sanderson. I'd recommend to start off with The way of kings or The mistborn Trilogy. Both very well written books that could be categorised as sword and sorcery. Also you could gamble on authors like: Brent Weeks or Peter V. Brett.
For more "quirky" and "badass" books try Joe Abercrombie or Glen Cook.
Robert Jordans epic "wheel of time" is pure sword and sorcery with lots of humor. I warmly recommend it, but it is abit "honorable Quest / Cookie cutter" as you phrased it.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:44:15 AM PDT
Mondkalb says:
I very much enjoyed the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It's quirky, humorous, thrilling and has some badass characters.
It ist not the usual sword and sorcery story, though there is some sort of a quest for Haplo, one of the main characters.
The world has lots of the usual fantasy elements like elves, dwarves, dragons, wizards and even necromancers.
The magic system is quite unique. The world has been torn apart by some terrible incident a long time ago and consist now of several distinct, different worlds which will be visited by the reader accompanying Haplo and other characters in the different volumes of the series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/interests/bookseries/the_death_gate_cycle/

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 3:17:56 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Thanks Chris.. i actually have read Weeks, Brett, and Sanderson and highly enjoy them but I would not consider them "light and fun" in the vein I am looking for... they tend to be a little darker, serious and "heavy", but quite enjoyable when i am in the mood for that style of fantasy. And while i like Abercrombie also, he really tends to be grim.

I will try some of Glen cook though...

I never cared for the Wheel of Time series although i know many others enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 3:18:41 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Thanks Mondkalb - that sounds like what I am looking for!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 6:46:21 PM PDT
Jacob King says:
The Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber are highly recommended. A couple of wise cracking criminals in a sword and sorcery world. TrySwords And Deviltry (Lankhmar) Also recomended are Michael Moorcock's Elric books, if you haven't already read them, about the Albino prince and his soul eating sword. Terry Pratchett is my go to for light fantasy especially the early Discworld though a good place to begin with his books is The Carpet People The Carpet People though from the look of that link it may be out of print.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:24:18 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Thanks! I will check them out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:32:07 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
Off the top of my head for funny fantasy.
Diana Wynn Jones - Darklord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin
Michelle Sagara's Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra)
Megan Whelan Turner's The Thief
Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds

And its been a while since I read Fritz Lieber, but I agree with Jacob King on the recommendations for the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:31:41 PM PDT
Total agreement with Diana Wynn Jones, although I would throw in her "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland: The Essential Guide to Fantasy Travel" -- which is funny as a stand-alone, but even funnier AFTER reading "Darklord" and "Griffin."

"The Chronicles of Master Li and Number 10 Ox," contains all three of Barry Hughart's novels of the Ancient China that never was (but should have been), and is available as a Kindle Book, for no more than paperback price of any one of them ("Bridge of Birds," "Story of the Stone," "Eight Skilled Gentlemen").

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories range from fall-down funny to very dark humor; and, for those who aren't worried about "spoilers," they rate an article to themselves on Wikipedia.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:32:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 7:12:06 AM PDT
My all-time favorite light-hearted fantasy series were the Harold Shea stories originally published in Unknown magazine in the early '40's, republished and expanded in several editions, including this one: The Complete Compleat Enchanter

To the best of my knowledge, they are all out of print, except for this hardbound edition: The Mathematics of Magic (L. Sprague De Camp) and have never been released in ebook format. However, used paperback copies are available and are worth getting your hands on. I've clicked on the button to request that the publisher make them available in kindle edition and would certainly buy them in they're ever released.

I also recommend Leo Frankowski's Conrad Stargard stories. The six original novels have been complied into two omnibus ebook editions available from Baen Ebooks. Paperbacks are available from Amazon but the ebooks can only be purchased directly from Baen.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:49:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 6:50:40 AM PDT
Silverlock

Silverlock

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:26:37 AM PDT
Chance says:
Try Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin) and the other books in the series. They're what I would call light fantasy, and humorous as well.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:06:38 PM PDT
Denise Long says:
The Outstretched Shadow: The Obsidian Trilogy: Book One
To Light a Candle: The Obsidian Trilogy, Book Two
When Darkness Falls: The Obsidian Trilogy, Book 3

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:08:10 AM PDT
I had no idea that Silverlock had been released for Kindle and also recommend it. Originally published in the late 40's, I read it in the early '60's and had forgotten it until I saw Pumpkin Bread's post. At the time, it was sort of a cult classic among fantasy readers, as was Tolkein's Lord of the Rings, and neither had yet been discovered by most readers. I'm glad to know that it's available for Kindle and look forward to re-reading it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:05:12 AM PST
BareThoughts says:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:57:36 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:01:00 AM PST
I was going to suggest Goblin Quest and see someone else beat me to it. I will just add that the 3 books in the series are or will be soon released in an omnibus called The Legend of Jig Dragonslayer they are by Jim Hines.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:02:20 PM PST
Probably not as light and fun as When Demons Walk (But then I've never found one that is that good...for that particular genre. It happens to be my favorite book in fantasy!) You might look at Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum) Traditional fantasy and while it started out with me thinking I knew where it was going and who was who...I didn't. Very good read.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:05:09 PM PST
Also possibly All the Paths of Shadow by Frank Tuttle. I am not sure this book is as strong as his Markhat (Which is my favorite series of his) but it has some of the fun and features. I don't know what to call the setting of either Markhat or Paths. It's definitely fantasy, but not so much sword and sorcery. It's not really urban fantasy as there's a distinct Victorian sensibility about them. But I would not call them steampunk. I thought All the Paths was a decent fantasy read; the pacing was a bit off for me in places, but the mystery and atmosphere was a lot of fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:52:32 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
When Demons Walk is great, isn't it? I also enjoy all of the authors other trad fantasy works. I was not happy when she made the switch to urban fantasy as I do not really care for that genre (but am tempted to give it a go).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:54:10 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Tuttle is hard to classify, isn;t he? I read a short story collection of his and liked it, so I will give this a try. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:55:04 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Oh thanks for letting me know that! I will definitely try the omnibus...

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:28:46 PM PST
Brent Butler says:
The Myth Adventures One series by Robert Asprin (been around a long time now) ... it doesn't get any more light hearted than these books. The characters are likable and the plots are clever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:38:31 PM PST
You might very well like her Urban fantasy. It is some of the best out there. I like the Alpha and Omega series better than Mercy Thompson (those covers are VERY off-putting). I think after 3 or so of the Mercy, I kind of timed out on where it was going with the whole vamps and such, but the first two were very, very good. There are traditional fantasy elements in there (fae). Same with Alpha and Omega, which is actually the same world building but different characters. Given what little I know of your tastes...hmm. Try Alpha and Omega if you decide to give it a go. There's "novella" she wrote as a prequel. It's on Kindle or in an Anthology. Lemme see if I can guess the name. Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf (Cry Wolf is book one in Alpha and Omega). I think it has all the hallmarks of some of her best work--great characters and great storytelling.

Yes, Tuttle's work is hard to classify, but if you like his short stories, you'd probably like his Markhat and All the Paths. He has some great wry humor in Markhat. All the Paths is closer to traditional fantasy though.

And yes. When Demons Walk IS great.

Oh--I did like the Goblin series by Jim Hines. It's a decent series. The first is the best, but the last book was pretty good too. Nothing wrong with book 2 either, but it wasn't quite as compelling as the other two stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:53:55 PM PST
No one has mentioned the other non-urban books by Patricia Briggs including the second in the series that starts with When Demons Walk, Steal the Dragon (Sianim, No. 2). Those two are real favorites of mine too. Also the Dragon Bones duology.

Since you liked the Raine Benares books do check out the Kaylin Neya books by Michelle Sagara starting with Cast in Shadow (The Chronicles of Elantra, Book 1)

And no recommendation would be complete with mentioning Patricia McKillip. The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (Magic Carpet Books) and Riddle-Master
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions