Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

What got you into fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 5:32:21 AM PST
For me, it was Tolkien. My uncle gave me an old copy of Fellowship of the Ring when I was about 11-12.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:23:18 AM PST
I read science fiction first, although I read a few fantasy books earlier. (Oz, Narnia) Then my kids were reading David Eddings The Belgariad, Vol. 1 (Books 1-3): Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit which got me hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:48:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 7:50:02 AM PST
Same here. My parents had LoTR in the bookshelf, and I was just getting interested in D&D, so I took it down to have a go at it. (I had already started, and failed to finish, "The Hobbit"). From that moment I was hooked!

ETA: I should say that I had already read, and loved, the Narnia books, but had I not read LoTR, I don't think Narnia would have been enough to encourage me into fantasy. That said, I was already fascinated by Medieval History, so I didn't need a strong nudge ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:57:21 AM PST
Yep. Ditto for me. I was twelve. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:58:39 AM PST
I was a mythology buff--did my first book report in the third grade on "The Iliad". Ye gods--what a geek, eh! ;-)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:01:23 PM PST
EJ says:
To be completely truthful, we had The Hobbit in cartoon form. (Anyone remember the animated movie in the 70s? This was the book made from the movie.) My brother and I read lots of comic books and I never really considered them "books". If we are considering comics, the Asterix (Asterix Omnibus 1: Includes Asterix the Gaul #1, Asterix and the Golden Sickle #2, Asterix and the Goths #3) would be my first introduction to fantasy. But these comic books did not encourage me to read fantasy books although they did encourage my interest in history.

I had my tonsils out at 16. Due to my age, it was considered risky and I was out of school for two weeks. My father gave me The Mists of Avalon to read while I was stuck at home. It was my first true introduction to fantasy and I devoured it. I then read the Mary Stewart Arthurian trilogy (Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy).

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:03:13 PM PST
Mignonette says:
When I checked out The Many Worlds Of Andre Norton from the library. After that, I was hooked.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:05:52 PM PST
I'm trying to remember if I found sci-fi before fantasy....I believe it was fantasy, though I became a huge fan of Asimov, read all of the Foundation series as well as several others.
There was a K&B drugstore near my house and it had a small book section. I would go and look though all the fantasy books (and I'm ashamed to say chose most by how cool the cover was). I remember reading books by an author-Kenneth Flint, and loving them very much, and buying the Elf Quest books there (not the comics, though I did like comics). How much I'd like those same books today....who knows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 1:17:34 PM PST
Not at all - I was doing the same thing.

Or rather, not "not at all", but "Yeah, me too!"

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:45:48 PM PST
L0rd D3rpus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:32:09 AM PST
I'm going to go with enid Blyton. The magic faraway tree. I still have the book ( it's 5 years older than I am!) that my dad used to read to me at night. Elves, goblins, magicians, witches, got to count as fantasy!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 2:27:30 PM PST
t_meyers says:
My journey into fantasy began like many others -- Tolkien. I consumned The Hobbit when I first got a copy and have read it at least 10 times since. LOTR was a little harder for me to get into but I enjoyed the movies. Overall, The Children of Hurin is my personal favorite Tolkien tale.

Now I read George R.R. Martin, Rowling (doesn't everybody?), Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, and the list goes on and on. Fantasy is a perfect escape and is a great way to reflect the world in which we live while doing it in an entertaining manner. That's why I chose the fantasy genre for my first book (series).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:13:29 AM PST
Several sources:

The Hobbit, which my mom read to my brother and I when I was around 12; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, which led to me devouring the entire Narnia series; the Chronicles of Prydain by Alexander; and the Grimm fairy tales, especially the Worn Out Dancing Shoes.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 12:52:49 PM PST
Captain says:
Grimm's Fairy Tales.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 5:24:35 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
I was a voracious reader as a child. I didn't discover Narnia until into the low teens, but I read every Wizard of Oz book I could get my hands on, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain chronicles, Susan Coopers Dark is Rising series, and also her "The Boggart", The Borrowers, and Oliver Butterworth's The Enormous Egg (okay, maybe that last one is technically Sci Fi).

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:55:00 PM PST
I read LoTR when I was in middle school, and while I liked it, I never really read any more fantasy (other than Narnia) until about ten years ago (I'm in my mid-30s now). I picked up Tigana randomly and read it, and absolutely LOVED it...still one of my favorite books ever. Then I read Warbreaker and loved it just as much. Between the two, it sparked a run of reading almost exclusively fantasy (in terms of fiction) ever since.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:54:22 AM PST
The Hobbit, Belgariad, and Oz series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:33:56 AM PST
I almost forgot The Wizard of Oz...My mother read it to me when I was a child. Anyone remember the scene in the movie when the wicked witch sent the flying monkeys? She says "I'll send some bees to soften them up". In the book, she sends bees after them, but in the movie they must have cut that scene and forgot to cut out that piece of dialogue.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:49:20 AM PST
I found science fiction at a very tender age but traditional fantasy much later. I read mythology and folktales from around the world. There was one I read when I was 9 about a girl who was hiding from bandits and they cut off someones's finger to get a ring and the finger flew up and landed in her lap. I think it was Icelandic. The image has stuck with me. I was reading fantasy in the broader sense though since The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek and David and the Phoenix have to be considered fantasy and I read some of the Oz books. I didn't really discover traditional fantasy until I read LOTR in college. That was in the 60s when it hit big over here.

The funny thing is that I never really noticed the fantasy as being fantasy so when I start thinking about it I realize I was reading fantasy much earlier than I think but none of it was epic because that wasn't around then. My favorite book and movie when I was 5 was Alice in Wonderland (the golden books/Disney versions). Also, I had no access to a library until I was 11.

When my son was young we read lots of fantasy, though.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:25:19 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 18, 2013 6:46:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:28:01 PM PST
I'll have to listen for that the next time I watch it. :)

My grandma had a whole bunch of the Oz books in her collection. Got me hooked.

In thinking back on my reading history, the Alanna books by Tamora Pierce were a really big influence too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:29:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 1:30:03 PM PST
I liked reading myths too. Started with Greek & Roman, then Norse, Celtic and others.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:41:44 PM PST
I read a series by Kenneth Flint that was based on Celtic myths, when I was a teen. Loved it.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:51:53 PM PST
Checking out the Black Cauldron ( The Chronicles Of Prydain Boxed Set: The Book of The Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King) from my elementary school library is my first memory of reading fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 6:25:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 18, 2013 6:46:28 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions