Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

If you wrote a novel...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 4:35:12 AM PST
Brian says:
To whom would want to be compared?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:04:46 AM PST
Glen Romero says:
That is a good question. I suppose that it would depend on what type of book you wrote. I wouldn't mind being comepared to Robert Heinlein. He has the only SciFi book that is required reading in a military academay. His works have staying power and will be around for generations to come. Not only that but he help the governmoent shape what is covered in the vail of space along with other SciFi writes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:18:15 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Absolutely, Heinlein!

Then, McCammon or King.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:10:47 PM PST
nobody

i want them all compared to me

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:11:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:12:01 PM PST
AJ Uchiha says:
Suzanne Collins.
Unfortunately anything I write I wind up abandoning halfway through. lol

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:24:09 PM PST
Kristen Reed says:
I wouldn't want to be compared to anyone specific. I think writing with a certain author in mind can hinder your originality or you might come off as a wannabe/copycat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:40:24 PM PST
AJ Uchiha says:
I view it as more of a "who inspires you" sort of idea. After all, it's always exciting to be told you're reminding someone of your role model, even if only a little. But you're right, one must be cautious not to take it up to simple imitation.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:45:18 AM PST
I DON'T want to be compared to any of the following:
A fifteen year old
A non native English speaker
An illiterate

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:58:29 AM PST
Glen Romero says:
I know how you feel. I've only written one novella with four on the hook. LOL

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:42:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 3:12:42 PM PST
Brian says:
If enough people read your work a comparison will be made by someone. As a writer, I'd love to believe that my work is singularly unique, but I would be lying to myself. The fact is, we are colored by the author's we love and admire. Our work will almost certainly reflect that. I've had people point out things to me that related to other stories that, when I was writing, I wasn't even remotely thinking about the connection I made. I would personally love to be compared to Tolkien, but that is not likely to happen, at least not my anyone who's read LOTR or anything else he'd written. Hell, I can't write like Tolkien, even if I wanted to try. Still, it's a question of, how good a writer would I like to be? Not how good am I now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:03:30 AM PST
Aro says:
I agree, it's more of an inspiration thing! It's always nice to be told you're headed in the right direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:04:45 AM PST
Aro says:
Well said :)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 12:13:21 PM PST
The benefit to being compared to another writer in a review is that google searches for that writer will also bring you up as a result. ( Even if it is a looong way of page 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:51:03 AM PST
Carl Purcell says:
Oh man, good answer! Yeah, that would be nice.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:27:15 AM PST
Brian says:
Sometimes the comparison is way off base, though. I write in more of a YA fantasy syle with the current series. (Don't worry, I never self-promo) From time to time it gets compared to other works that are very different. I think some readers equate the enjoyment from a book to it being like another work. Example- I bought the last Harry Potter book for my nephew. I got stuck at the airport and ended up reading it, and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was a well written, fun, easy read. I enjoyed reading LOTR too, but that doesn't mean that the two books or writers are anything alike.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions