Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

What got you into fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:32:43 PM PST
I loved all of Lloyd Alexander when I read it with my son. I remember really liking Time Cat as well. the Book of Dragons is another we really enjoyed.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:47:24 AM PST
Carl Purcell says:
It was probably Greek and Arthurian mythology. As a child I read The Magic Far Away Tree although I didn't think in genre at the time, it was probably the first fantasy (children's fantasy) book I ever read. In sixth grade we read Emily Rodda's Rowan of Rin and that same year the Fellowship of The Ring movie came out. I must have seen it at the cinema about five times. That was when I knew I loved Fantasy. I thought there was something wrong with me for a long time because I was a fantasy fan that didn't like reading Tolkein (love his narratives, just not his style. Poetry was good, though) and struggled to find fantasy authors that really hooked me. This was a problem for years until I suddenly hit on contemporary and urban fantasy, mostly by Neil Gaiman. That really sealed the deal. So, to recap, what got my into fantasy?
Mythology
Emily Rodda
Peter Jackson
Neil Gaiman.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:25:03 PM PST
For me it was Jules Verne

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:46:40 PM PST
Have you read The Once and Future King

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:47:26 PM PST
I've always wanted to read that. And now that you mention it, I think I will.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:07:35 PM PST
You should. The Once and Future King is one of the good ones. THWhite also wrote a funny fantasy The Elephant and Kangaroo that I enjoyed.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:02:25 AM PST
One summer I was at a garage sale and there was box of paperbacks that looked interesting. It had The Hobbit and LOTR and about 100-125 other books. Since it was the end of the day I was able to buy the whole thing for $20. Upon closer inspection I found that it contained a bunch of books by Howard, Leiber and Moorcock along with 3-4 dozen books from Ballantine Books Adult Fantasy line which included the likes of Lord Dunsany, Clark Ashton Smith, Peter S. Beagle and Evangelyne Walton. What a treasure trove of books. It took me over the next two years to read them all. By then I was a dyed in the woolfantasy fan and was more than a little spoiled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:51:55 AM PST
Comic Maven, you certainly hit a lode of pure gold. I used to go to the charity book fair for the symphony every year. Once I was standing in line waiting for it to open on the first day and across the barrier was the table with fantasy/scifi. I saw a book called Dragonflight. As soon as the gate opened I ran to grab it. I had no idea who wrote it but if it was about dragons I wanted it. Need I say I spent more time over the years in Pern?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:19:30 AM PST
That's been on my bookcase for a long time, I loved it as a child.

Must re read it.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:39:16 PM PST
I started with Anne McCaffrey's White Dragon without realizing it was the third in a series. So then I had to go back and read them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:19:17 PM PST
I loved that one. I was a in a band and it was the only fantasy I'd ever read where a musician was the main character.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:09:05 AM PST
We aren't in the MOA, so despite temptation I'll shut up.

Where's Marcus when I need him?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:10:16 AM PST
What do you need me for, Will? Do you want *me* to mention something?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:20:29 AM PST
Ah, Marcus. I saw you on FB the other night, posed with a bevy of ladies...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:09:33 AM PST
Well, you've either got it, or you haven't got it, Will ...

And they were furrin, too - French and Spanish. That makes me an international lothario, doesn't it?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:27:15 PM PST
Sigh for lost youth.

I think marcus has found it though. Living the fantasy!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:33:31 PM PST
Elly Helcl says:
The Dark Tower....I fell hard and haven't gotten back up =)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:31:14 AM PST
I'm reading The Gunslinger, but have to admit I'm finding it hard going at the moment.

These Jim Butcher feel much more appealing.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:47:09 AM PST
I'm actually about to start on some indy authors-Toby Neighbors, John Forrester, Chris Hollaway, M.R. Mathias, and T.B. Christensen. All these guys seem to do well and the reviews are solid. I'll be finishing something I'm writing in a few weeks and going to take a month to do nothing but read. I can't wait.I've already bought some books for my kindle. It's just sitting there, calling to me.....

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:13:51 AM PST
Bulfinch's Mythology. My college age sister dumped it at home one day and I devoured it over the course of one week. Enough sex and violence to pique the interest of any 11 year old. Hooked ever since.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:40:16 PM PST
In my original post I said Tolkien got me into fantasy. Then I read a couple of posts mentioning fairy tales, and it made me think. That's really where it comes from. We hear these fantastical tales as children and it opens our minds to endless possibilities. For a fantasy lover, we never get over that feeling. We read The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland, and we're hooked for the rest of our lives.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:45:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2013 10:47:47 PM PDT
Mondkalb says:
It definitely started with fairy tales in early childhood and later on with greek and norse mythology.
I then read a lot of german romanticism writers, in particular E.T.A. Hoffmann who has written a plethora of most astonishing novels (I would recommend "The Golden Pot", a lavish contemporary urban fantasy fairy tale, and "The Devil's Elixirs", which is heavily influenced by M.G. Lewis's "The Monk").
Both fairy tales and mythologies contain the elements of modern fantasy already. Hoffmann and contemporary writers merged well known folklore motives with modern novelization.
Some of these also had elements of the later following gothic novels and horror tales which I enjoyed very much (especially H. P. Lovecraft who started a mythology of his own making).

My first fantasy book by modern definition was naturally "The Lord of the Rings" which paved the road for a lot more high fantasy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions