Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Urban Fantasy along the lines of Patricia Brigg's Alpha and Omega series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 2:30:58 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Okay - I really do not usually care for urban fantasy (in fact I rarely read anything, even in other genres set in "modern times") but on another thread, Maria Schneider suggested I try the Alpha and Omega series when I said that i was tempted to try Brigg's UF books (we both share a love of Brigg's writing).

Thanks Maria and you did hit the nail on the head with my reading tastes... I loved the Alpha and Omega books. I did move on to the Mercy Thompson ones also, and liked the A&O ones better.... Urban fantasy I can like!

So, now I am asking for recommendations of books similar to Brigg's to see if there might be some more I really enjoy.

Other than Brigg's wonderful writing skills, there are a few elements to the books that really called to me and I would like to find some UF with them.

One, I liked her world building and use of magic. Life in her books is pretty much like life in the current world... not a lot of supernatural changes. Just various "monsters" that had remained hidden are coming "out of the closet" while others remain in...

Her characterization of the supernatural being is also great... she does not romanticize them or turn them into "boogeymen" - they are more "real".

I also like her relationships... yes, there is some romance, but that is not the focus (nor does she get graphic with the sex scenes... and when she does include them... they fit).

I like her bonding - with mates and the pack. And I really love Anna (and the idea of Anna - the concept of the Omegas is really wonderful) in the A&O series (I think Anna is the main reason why I like that series a little more than the Mercy one, plus we get insight into more than just one person in the A&O series).

So any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:42:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 2:46:32 PM PST
M. Carole says:
Only a million. Urban fantasy is the hot thing right now, so you can try:

Jeanne Stein's Anna Strong Vampire series
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files
Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid
Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels
And of course Charlaine Harris' Sookie series.

Going slightly farther afield, Mike Carey, Ben Aaronovich, Carolyn Crane, Rob Thurman, Mark Del Franco, K.A. Stewart, and Harry Connolly are also great writers with very good UF series. I'm sure you'll find much to love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:01:10 PM PST
You might try posting in the PNR forum too. Most of us PNR fans are also UF fans. http://www.amazon.com/forum/paranormal%20romance?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=tag_stp_da_icdf_sa

I'm trying to think of things that are not too far out there. I had to work my way into UF so I understand where you're coming from.

The Chosen by Denise Grover Swank Chosen (The Chosen #1)
Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, Book 1)
Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book 1. This one is probably the best find of 2012 for most of us on the PNR forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:04:46 PM PST
I love the Kate Daniels series but it takes 2 or 3 books to really get into the world and I didn't want so scare BareThoughts off. lol

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:31:21 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Karen Marie Moning's Fever series- my personal favorite.

Allyson James' Stormwalker series

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 4:56:26 PM PST
You might try Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series. Kitty is sort of wimpy in the first book but she grows and becomes stronger.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:40:30 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Thanks everyone... I am finding I actually am liking UF. While none I have tried so far equal A&O or even the Mercy books, I am liking them. I have tried the Sookie Stackhouse ones, Alex Craft, and Kate Daniels. I will try the others mentioned also...

Still have not found one that I like as well as A&O but hoping I will...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:44:31 AM PST
K. McNamara says:
It's not urban fantasy, but for world building, supernatural characterization, and relationships, I think you would like Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra series, starting with Cast In Shadow

A more urban fantasy which I think would appeal to you, again for the above reasons, is Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series starting with Fated (An Alex Verus Novel)

A classic urban fantasy is Emma Bull's War for the Oaks.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:54:36 PM PST
vamploverXO says:
Based on what you said you're looking for, you'd probably love these authors.
D.N. Simmons Knights of the Darkness Chronicles.
Jeaniene Frost Nighthuntress series
Ilona Andrews - Mercy Thompson series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:34:24 PM PST
Alice Borschardt (who happens to be Anne Rice's sister) wrote a book called The Silver Wolf. It's almost more of a historical urban fantasy than a modern one, but it's great! She can almost compete with Patricia Briggs and I consider the Mercy and Alpha/Omega novels to be the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:32:34 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Alice Borschardt also wrote a couple of books reworking the King Arthur legend. It's a shame she died before finishing.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:52:46 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
I started hearing/reading reviews about urban fantasy books a long time ago--I think Mercedes Lackey wrote or is writing a series--Nah-I am not reading that junk, I thought. Here I am, a few years later, anxiously waiting for the next Ilona Andrews book, have emailed with Carrie Vaughn, and I just can't keep up! It is all Charlaine Harris's fault. I stumbled onto her Shakespeare series--I like books about tough women--if you read your history of the old west (biographies, autobiographies, or simply The Women in the Time-Life Series, you will see they are as tough or tougher than many men). So I am really liking this Shakespeare woman but I ran out of books, tried her Harris's Teagarden series--nah, not for me, and then picked up a Sookie Stackhouse and tra-la, here I am anxiously waiting!!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:02:16 PM PST
Thornraven says:
You might try the Karen Chance books. She has two intersecting series going. The first features Cassie Palmer and the Second Dorina. I've read them all and they are alot of fun. I also like Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:59:20 AM PST
Aerin says:
Since I share your affection for the A & O series - and also like Mercy Thompson - I know exactly what you mean. All the suggestions are great, though I personally don't care for all of them but if you are starting out, I do endorse the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher (they're worth reading from the brginning, though I personally found books 1 and 2 weak, but if you plow through them you can see Dresden grow and develop.) and The Iron Druid series as the closest to what you are looking for. Totally different worldbuilding but the same sort of reality feel to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:05:16 AM PST
Aerin says:
Thanks for the suggestion of War for the Oaks. I'd never heard of it but it looks really good.

And Bare Thoughts, thank you for starting this.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 12:02:26 AM PST
M.L. says:
I actually think you probably favor paranormal romance over urban fantasy. Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series is UF, but I would characterize her A&O series as PR.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 6:34:10 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Okay, I will reply to numerous posts using yours since you share my A&O affection...

Segara's Cast series - very familiar with them, started the series a couple of years ago and do like them. Same goes for Borschardt's work. I would really love to have her first two books on Kindle....

I may be wrong but I do not think of A&O as PR... it is not about the relationship or developing a relationship... Charles and Anna's relationship is just there, from the beginning. Yes, there are some issues, but the core has already been there and I think PRs are more about the relationship and getting there than we see in the A&O books...

But itis the relationship that i think tends to ruin me for other UF books... since none, not even the Mercy books measure up to it. And maybe in the Mercy books, part of the issue is we only get Mercy's "version".... hard to measure up to A&O when we are only getting "one-side"...

Funny thing is, of the books I have tried since, the Iron Druid ones (in the 3rd book now) are my next favorites... I think that it because there is not a relationship to measure against Anna and Charles. Plus the books are way fun...

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:33:17 PM PST
Peppicheep says:
You may like Iona Andrews Edge serise
On the Edge (A NOVEL OF THE EDGE)
Bayou Moon (The Edge)
Fate's Edge (The Edge)
Steel's Edge (The Edge)

There is a small bit of world -- the edge -- between our world (where magic does not work well at all) the broken and (the world where magic works) the wierd. The people who live in the edge know about both the broken and the wierd. Crossing from either the wierd into the edge hurts, and if you have too much magic it can kill you. If you don't have enough magic you won't be able to see how to get into the edge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:40:33 PM PST
Aerin says:
I totally agree with you on on just about everything, though, as I said, I like Mercy. But I don't really think the "Cast" series can be called "Romance". I've seen several people discuss it in terms of the relationship between Kaylin, Severn and Nightshade but I find that a very small portion of the total work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:52:31 AM PST
BareThoughts says:
I agree with you on the Cast books...

I do like the Mercy books... just not as well as A&O.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:35:15 PM PST
BareThoughts says:
Okay - still have not found any UF that measure up to the A&O series (and I think much of that is the relationship with Charles and Anna) although i have found some I do like (just not as well).

I did notice when I was re-reading Brigg's Aralorn books (favorites of mine) the similarities between Aralorn/Wolf and Anna/Charles.

I love that type of relationship - no angst, no issues with the guy trying to control the woman/dominate him... just a total acceptance of how they feel and the man not only accepting how he feel, his utter devotion, protectiveness without being controlling/dominating... and the whole "willing to destroy the world" for her.

I really think it is unfortunate in the Mercy books that they are written first person - we really do not get a glimpse into her mate's head... and he does not come across as devoted, loving, and un-controlling in the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:19:48 PM PST
C. Souza says:
I got the entire collection of Harry Dresden ( Jim Butcher ) and Rachel Morgan ( Kim Harrison ) . Which of those u mentioned follow similar line of story ? Thank you

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:28:39 PM PST
Cyad says:
Wen Spencers' UF Tinker series is nice.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:48:54 PM PST
C. Souza says:
Thank you Cyad :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions