Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Actual coexistence In Urban Fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 8:52:10 PM PST
Grant Feltis says:
Hello. I made a topic on here a while back when hunting for some new books of a specific type and got some great responses so I thought I would turn to the trusty Amazon forums once again.

I honestly haven't read a lot of the Urban Fantasy series out there. My first foray came from being handed a copy of Night Watch by the Russian author Sergei Lukyanenko. After completing the Watch series I got recommended something closer to home with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

I only got through the first book, though I do intend to return to the series one of these days, after which I started looking around at other series. What I came to notice is that the "ignorant human" aspect of strange species, and / or humans that can use magic, living in a world without being noticed by 99.99% of humans is a pillar of almost all of them.

When I started looking for books where witches, wolves and vampires (along with whatever else an author feels compel to throw in the mix) are not hidden from humans I found a previous list of almost endless titles narrowed down to fit on a bookshelf.

The two recommendations I looked into with serious interest were Kim Harrison and Charlaine Harris. I have read through Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series up to its current point, enjoying it for the most part, and watched enough of True Blood to decide not pursue the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I'm certain that there are other book series out there where witches, wolves and vampires (along with whatever else an author feels compel to throw in the mix) are not hidden from humans, but my searches aren't turning up much and asking around locally hasn't yielded anything except a couple of Paranormal Romances that seemed completely without plot.

If anyone has some recommendations of an Urban Fantasy series where the Fantasy elements don't have the cloud of it all having to be hidden from humans hanging over them I would really appreciate a post with the title or author's name.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:54:09 PM PST
Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series. First book is Magic Bites.
Kalayna Price's Grave Witch series (witches and fae)
Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series. It starts with just the Fae being outed, but there are other creatures.
Chloe Neil's Chicago Vampires (this isn't a series I've continued, but it does start w/ vamps being known)
Kelly Meding's MetaWars (more of a romantic element) - superheroes who are known to the world
JC Daniels Blade Song - there aren't many humans in this one, they tend to steer clear of the supernaturals
Kelly Gay's Charlie Madigan series
Myke Cole's Shadow Ops series - everyone knows there are magic users
Carolyn Crane's Disillusionists - the knowledge of highcaps (people who can do telekinesis, telepathy, etc) is something most of the populace believes in even if the book doesn't start out with the govt "officially" talking about it
Stacey Jay's Annabelle Lee series - the world has changed because of venomous fairies
Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts - when ghosts overran the world lots of people died. Everybody knows they are real.
Lilith Saintcrow Dante Valentine - the world knows about people with magical abilities
Nancy A. Collins Right Hand Magic - humans coexist, not necessarily happily, with magical beings
Deadtown by Nancy Holzner - humans and supernaturals coexist, but not nicely (for the supes)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:38:36 AM PST
Naomi Clark says:
Caitlin Kittredge's Nocturne City series has an "unmasked world." I strongly recommend Stacia Kane and Carolyn Crane's books.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:27:58 PM PST
Mark Del Franco's Laura Blackstone series.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:27:29 PM PST
You might like Wen Spencer's Elfhome series. Here's a link to the first book: Tinker (Elfhome Book 1) .

WARNING: It does contain some elements of paranormal romance which I found unnecessary to the story but the writing was good enough that I decided to simply skip over these sections and enjoy the story. I've read the first three books in the series. All were good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:30:38 PM PST
Someone rec'd that to me a month or so ago. It's on my wishlist so I won't forget. Gotta whittle the TBR pile some!

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 7:33:53 AM PST
Clueless says:
If you decided not to pursue the Sookie books based on the TV show you may want to try a couple of them - I know a lot of people love the series but it is sooooo not the books. I enjoyed the books - each one a fast, light read - a nice 'palate-cleanser' between more heavy books. So I bought the first season of the show - gave it 4 episodes and just couldn't go on. Absolutely hated the show.

Kindle-aholic gave you a pretty nice list. Have you tried any on it yet?

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:03:00 AM PST
An older series Welcome to Bordertown, written by several authors, about a place where humans and Fairies mingle. Finder is especially good.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 9:38:00 AM PST
Not quite sure this is what you're looking for but Charles de Lints books from his Newford period. Moonlight and Vines.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 8:07:27 AM PST
Reader79 says:
Jennifer Estep writes the Elemental Assasins series. First book is Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, Book 1). This book has humans living with elementals (earth/wind/fire/water magic users), vampires, giants, trolls, etc. living together. I enjoy the series but they are a bit repetitive so I try to space them out. I just finished book six in the series and will wait a month or two before picking up book seven.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 6:37:47 PM PST
Grant Feltis says:
Kindle-aholic, thank you for posting that great list. I have gotten them in a priority that fits my personal taste and have started reading through them beginning with Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series.

Naomi, Nocturne City has settled at the bottom of my list, but I'll definitely be picking up some the titles by Stacia Kane and Carolyn Crane.

Maria, the Laura Blackstone series sounds very interesting and I'll pick up the first book soon to give it a read over.

James, the Elfhome series is definitely going on my list as it seems like an interesting fantasy read and the romance aspect is easy enough to skip over if it gets bothersome.

Clueless, I'll keep that suggestion in mind. I found the show "okay", but when I found that I wanted more of the main characters to die than succeed I figured that wasn't going to improve as it went on.

Homecooking, the Bordertown books sound very promising and I've got that on my list.

Kaleidoscope, I'm not sure if Moonlight and Vine, or the other Newford books, fit exactly what I started looking for, but they have peeked my interest and I'm going to start looking around for more information on them.

Reader, thanks for the tip. I like that the series, at least at the start, seems to have a darker tone and I'll keep the spacing them out thing in mind if I pick up any of the sequels.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:35:56 AM PST
I like the Conner Grey series by Mark del Franco even more than the Laura Blackstone. I second Charles de Lint.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 2:51:49 PM PST
L. Tolbert says:
Also try Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles. It seems like a superhero type book but it's really UF and set in 1930's US.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new fantasy stories - and help take them to the next level
5 Jul 18, 2015
Book Recs for urban/high/epic fantasy? 2 2 hours ago
KTT-A (imagine all the curly decorations, please) :-D 4493 3 hours ago
Kindle Unlimited: Fantasy Recommendations 90 1 day ago
Hey gang, I could use some Fantasy recommendations. 51 1 day ago
Books on Sale 1360 3 days ago
It's May 2016. What fantasy book are you reading? 41 4 days ago
Looking For Elf Fantasy no YA. Suggestions? 24 5 days ago
What are some good urban fantasy series like The Hollows? 23 7 days ago
What are the books or series' that you lament most of all for not being available for Kindle? 85 9 days ago
2016 Reading Challenge 31 10 days ago
It's April 2016. What fantasy book are you reading? 23 Apr 28, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions