Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Powerful Antagonists-v-Clever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2012 5:20:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 5:21:00 AM PST
Brian says:
What do you find more interesting, a phyically powerful antagonist, or one that uses deception? Yes I know both....but which is more fun?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:12:37 AM PST
Rabid Reader says:
I happen to like villains that employ intelligence rather than brute force.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 3:42:15 PM PST
Deception. Every time. :) Most of my fav fantasy characters are thieves.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 3:51:50 PM PST
M. Carole says:
Deception over brute force for me as well. Kindle-aholic, you may have already read this one but it involves a very clever thief and it fits within this topic perfectly: Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:47:49 PM PST
M - I like that one a lot. I still need to read book 2. Have you read it yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:18:58 AM PST
M. Carole says:
The release of the second one was delayed, thus I'm eagerly awaiting its release so I can pounce on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:35:37 AM PST
I had to go check out the story...

Bummer about the delay, but on the plus side I think that will mean we will get a better story. When books are rushed, it doesn't always go well.

When it comes out we should have a Drothe discussion topic. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:24:16 PM PST
M. Carole says:
I'm in.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:38:07 PM PST
Brian says:
I heard an interesting story about the Hobbit on the Cobert Report. Tolkien decided to re-write it in order to make it more of an adult book, but was told to stop, (I forget who told him). Makes you wonder how it would have turned out if he continued.
Has anyone else heard this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 4:00:06 PM PST
M. Carole says:
No, hadn't heard that. The story I read was that he had the book already complete and presented it to a friend, who then gave it to a publisher and they decided to print it. So it was complete, and there wasn't any information that he tried to pull it back or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:20:35 AM PST
My understanding is that, after LoTR was published, Tolkien did go back and attempt to re-write The Hobbit in the same style as LoTR. But my evidence for that is no more than the blurb on the back of a huge tome that I saw in the bookshop last Saturday, which is a sort of "History of the Hobbit", complete with notes, early drafts, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:54:27 AM PST
After LoTR was published Tolkien revised and rewrote the riddle sections as well as a couple misc passages so that they better reflected later continuity developments in LoTR.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:15:41 AM PST
That makes sense.

I shall have to go and find the book I was skimming through, and find out exactly what is presented there. The description certainly seemed to indicate that there was at least a draft of other parts of the book which were *not* included in any published version, where T. had attempted to re-write. But, as I say, I only glanced at the book, so can say no more, and nothing with certainty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:34:39 AM PST
Brian says:
That was my understandind as well. He started it, and his publisher (I think it was his publisher) told him not to do it, so he stopped.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:23:28 AM PST
I did consider buying the book, but the hefty price-tag prevented me from doing so. So close to Christmas, I had to focus on buying gifts for other people, rather than for me! :-(

I think it was this one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions