Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

What are the current series that you are following?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 127 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 1:00:36 PM PDT
What fantasy series would you buy the next book as soon as it comes out? What are you enjoying?

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)

Science Fiction, but I love the series.
Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan Saga Omnibus: Shards of Honor / Barrayar)
I've already ordered the next one: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Miles Vorkosigan)

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:15:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 1:34:08 PM PDT
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures) is available now for Kindle as an eARC directly from the publisher Baen Books. Here's the link: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1678-captain-vorpatrils-alliance-earc.aspx

As for your original question, the only one I'm anxiously awaiting and will buy on the first day of its release, no matter the price, is the third book in Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicles" series, supposedly titled "Doors of Stone": http://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Rothfuss-Kingkiller-Chronicle-Book/dp/0575081449/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347912762&sr=1-3&keywords=patrick+rothfuss+kingkiller+chronicles+day+3. I think it's hilarious that it already has an Amazon product page and reviews.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Rothfuss hasn't said when Book 3 will be released and certainly hasn't promised a 2012 release date although his fans are hoping it will come out before the holiday season. If so, I know what I want under my Christmas tree.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:25:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 1:27:10 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I am waiting for A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time), the final book in the Kingkiller Chronicle, and the next book in the Stormlight Archive.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:28:57 PM PDT
I am also following The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One this series. I'm reading the second one now. I just love it so far.

I am also following the Game of Thrones series. It's easier to say it that way, then say the Song of Ice and Fire series. I have been a bit disapointed with the long waits inbetween books, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 1:34:55 PM PDT
James R. Scarborough,
Thanks for the link. I cancelled my Amazon order and downloaded it. I was planning to get some stuff done this evening, but I don't think I will...

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:54:19 PM PDT
You're welcome, Teresa. I love Baen, as one of the ebook pioneers and still one of the most ebook-friendly publishers. I try to support and recommend Baen whenever possible. It's unfortunate that many fans of fantasy and science fiction aren't aware of their ebooks because they only sell them direct and don't offer them through Amazon.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:10:24 PM PDT
Yes, Baen publishes good SF. I've picked up a few of their free books to download before.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:16:19 PM PDT
Kribu says:
Anything and everything by Seanan McGuire - I'm not quite caught up with the October Daye series (am currently reading the fourth one) but am eagerly looking forward to more; enjoyed Discount Armageddon in her other, new urban fantasy series a great deal and plan to get the next one as soon as it's out; am not yet caught up on the Feed series she writes as Mira Grant but have plans to get that, too.

Other urban fantasy series that I've been enjoying enough to pre-order - Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires (although book six was a bit of a let-down, but I'm still interested enough to read on), Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series, Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London.

I also just recently read Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - fascinating, fantastical alternative history - and plan to read on, although I might wait a bit with the second book until the release time for the third book gets closer.

In younger fantasy series, Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant and Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus are both of the "pre-order the moment it becomes possible" kind. I've also been rather enjoying Jennifer Estep's Mythos Academy series, also enough to make it a pre-orderable series.

I'm pretty sure there are other series I'm reading, but most of those are more of the "let's read the next one when nothing else is currently catching my fancy" sort than a "must get the new book the moment it's available". I don't go for high/epic fantasy, so all my fantasy reading is done on the urban fantasy side of the fence.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 2:31:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 2:32:14 PM PDT
G. says:
I am following Seanan McGuire and am currently reading:
Ashes of Honor: An October Daye Novel
but also follow, and am REALLY looking forward to Jim Butcher's newest Dresden Files book (preordered!): Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 8:01:54 AM PDT
Ada Davis says:
The next book in the Kingkiller Chronicles
Blood of Dragons, the next of Robin Hobb's Rain Wilds series
The next in Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series - the Gird/Luap/Paksenarrion/Phelan series
Song of Ice and Fire - though I may wait for reviews before buying it, to see if it is as bad as the last two

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 12:20:46 PM PDT
I'm waiting for the next volume of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

I'm ready to start on The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles).

I'm waiting for the third in the Locke Lamora series to come out.

But I'm also about to start on The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 1:08:21 PM PDT
I'm following The Skin Map (first of three books) by Stephen R. Lawhead.
I'm interested in The Hunger Games
I'm Writing a second book to my ebook A Steady Pulse
and
I want to buy ... I want to buy a lot of books to complete collections I own, but I'm not waiting for any specific one at this moment.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 1:17:28 PM PDT
dischism says:
Taken (An Alex Verus Novel)

Fated (An Alex Verus Novel)

Cursed (Alex Verus)

are well worth reading (recommended by Jim Butcher)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 2:20:44 PM PDT
I'm reading the 2nd in the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance. I bought it several years ago and let it sit on a shelf, silly me. Discovering Dark urban fantasy series with strong female leads and loving them! Just read the lead for Marjorie M Lui's Hunter Kiss series want to pick it up. Can anyone recommend it?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:37:56 PM PDT
Claire Bear says:
I'm following

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Kate Daniels novels by Ilona Andrews
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
The Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs
The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
Rick Riordan and brandon Mull
The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine
The Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:58:46 AM PDT
lifewontwait says:
I'm following

The October Daye series by Seanan McGuire
Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter
Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine
Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison
Anya Kalinczyk series by Laura Bickle
Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong
Alex Craft and Haven series by Kalayna Price
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Bloodhound Files by DD Barant
Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries) by Charlaine Harris
OSI series by Jes Battis
Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 5:24:40 AM PDT
Goose says:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter
The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearn
Elantra series by Michele Sagara

I'm also just staring to get into Ben Aaranovich's Rivers of London series

Kim Harrison's Hollows series used to be one of the first on the list, but the last one was so terrible it put me off the whole series.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:11:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 29, 2012 12:54:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:45:26 PM PDT
I'm currently following:
The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Crown Imperiled: Book Two of the Chaoswar Saga
Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, Book 7)
Fair Game
The Desert Spear
Taken (An Alex Verus Novel)
The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel
Red Seas Under Red Skies

Series that I have completed include:
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Chronicles of the Black Company
Wizard's First Rule
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
First Lord's Fury
The Briar King (The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, Book 1)

I was resistant to fantasy, i thought of it as a junk genre best left to Tolkien...then I read a copy of The Game Of Thrones so long ago and realized that artistry and excellence were available here too. The search was on and some books on this list are just time killers for me until The Song of Ice and Fire is complete. But along the way I have discovered some gems. By far The Glen Cook books affected me more than the rest, and Erickson's Malazan world was the most developed world I've visited. That being said I've found myself feeling abandoned by George R. R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss, but their works are a gold standard of what can be accomplished by masters of the craft, so I'll patiently wait. I was not interested in Jim Butcher at first but I've found that Dresden is my favorite lead character if only slightly ahead of Kvothe.

I've tried to catch any errors in this post but between the small text and my dirty glasses I'm sure that I've missed some and for that I apologize.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:05:15 PM PDT
L. S. Jansen says:
Ben Aaronovitch: Peter Grant - Whispers Under Ground
Benedict Jacka: Alex Verus
Jim Butcher: Dresden Files

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:18:25 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I'm waiting for the usuals: Memory of Light, Book 6 of A Song of Ice and Fire, book 3 of the Kingkiller trilogy, the next Stormlight Archive book.

Gonna try out a Dresden book and maybe start another Hobbs trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 7:42:03 PM PDT
Kingkiller Chronicles is my favorite series of all-time. Second is the Night Angel series. Gentleman Bastards is way up there, as is Ice and Fire. All great choices!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:35:25 AM PDT
Interesting, because I've just finished the second "Night Angel" book and I think they are *terrible*. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 1:40:44 PM PDT
Something is wrong with you.

And if you think they're terrible, why did you read the second one? Shouldn't you have stopped after the first?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 1:23:21 PM PDT
I wondered whether you'd pick up on that! :-)

As it happens, I did like the storyline, and was interested enough, therefore, to read the second. But I thought the writing was appalling, and the characterisation was erratic. I also found the world-building unconvincing. But, to be fair, the storyline was clearly interesting enough to make me read the second. Whether I shall proceed to the third has yet to be decided ...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  127
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions