Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

help! series similar to malazan book of the fallen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2012 4:23:00 PM PST
Hi All,

I am trying to find a great new series of books along the lines of Malazan Book of the Fallen -- Genre is not as critical (meaning I like all types from sword and sorcery all the way to space opera) -- but just something that grabs you and won't let go with great characters, plot lines, battles, etc.

As an example, I also loved the Magician Series by Feist as well -- and Sword of Truth for the first 3-4 (and then it just got boring/stale).

I am also half-way through the 2 book in Old Man's War but hated how the main character from the first novel is no where to be seen as an example -- this series is good, but not the scale of the above....

So -- what do you all think? Some I have been hearing a lot about if Brent Weeks stuff as well Death Stalker series (on the space opera side)?

Would prefer something that has > 3 books, but at the end of the day I want the best read...

Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 4:49:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 4:57:18 PM PST
The Night Angel series is my second favorite series of all-time (second only to Rothfuss's Kingkiller, though that's not finished yet, if you're looking for something complete). But anything/everything by Brent Weeks is great. Anything/everything by Brandon Sanderson is great. George R.R. Martin is great too. Most of Guy Gavriel Kay's stuff is great. Also great: Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie, Jacqueline Carey, Jim Butcher, and Robert V.S. Redick.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:08:29 PM PST
Captain says:
Nothing compares to Malazan but you would like Glen Cook's Black Company series a lot.

Here's a site that I like for recommendations of all fantasy but especially for epic and military fantasy. When I first found it I had read many of the recommendations already but found many I had not and thus many months of great reading have ensued:

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-epic-fantasy.html

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-military-fantasy-books.html

http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:29:16 AM PST
Thx all - so I picked up black company and could not get through first book for some reason! It just seemed too simple maybe compared to Malazan? I also read prince of thorns and king of thorns and loved them as well - so doesn't have to be military per se.

Thx again and keep me coming!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 1:11:46 PM PST
sprinter says:
Well, it was only a matter of time before someone came along that didn't like Black Company. Twenty one years as a matter of fact. Not bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:53:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 2:53:52 PM PST
Boric says:
Maybe have a look at the following series:

Daniel Abraham's, The Dragon's Path
Helen Lowe's The Heir of Night
Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings

I am a fan of Malazan & Feist (haven't read SoT yet) & enjoyed all 3 of these a lot so they may repay a look.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:17:14 PM PST
Eric says:
I love the entire series but honestly some of the books are hit or miss compared to some of the others. Really, the first book isn't close to the strongest in the series but if you don't like the first one it's no point in trying the others. You can't please everyone :)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:30:39 AM PST
jerdog3 says:
I loved the Malazan series too! One of my favorite series. The characters were great. It's hard to find replacements for certain books/series like Malazan, Game of Thrones, and a few others. My most recent favorite is Joe Ambercrombe's First Law series. I really enjoyed it. I love the moral ambiguity of most of the characters. I would definitely recommend this series.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:41:39 AM PST
loveletang58 says:
okay, I have about 100 pages left in Deadhouse Gates Book 2 of Malazan - I like the flow of the story and the complexity, but will it become clearer? Gardens of the Moon was a little confusing, and Deadhouse Gates did not have most of the characters from GotM so I was a little confused about where the story was going - I'm about to journey on to Memories of Ice - will the pace and clarity begin to pick up?

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:33:45 PM PST
Lettuce Prey says:
EVERYONE has trouble getting through/into Gardens of the Moon. The other given is that book 3 makes all clear and it's smooth sailing from then on.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 12:43:55 PM PST
loveletang58 says:
Eox, it's just difficult keeping everything straight - while I get the gist of what is happening, I find myself going back and re reading passages to reacquaint myself with the storylines of each character arc - I'm looking forward to all of this coming together - thank you for answering me that my patience will pay off - when I heard that this series was one of the best in fantasy, I download the first two books and put them aside until I was in the correct frame of mind to begin - so now I have begun - thanks again Eox

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:29:22 PM PST
Lettuce Prey says:
I'm pretty sure everyone goes back to what they read earlier in the Malazan series. Things that don't seem that important turn out to be later.

But again the farther you get the easier it gets and then you can't quit.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions