Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Need some fantasy book recs for a picky reader...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 8:05:25 AM PDT
DivineBovine says:
I'm in desperate need of something new to read. However, all of the book recommendations I've been getting have been for series which I've either A) Already tried and hated or B) Have zero interest in due to extreme similarity to A. I'm really interested in Urban Fantasy but as long as it's in the Fantasy genre I'm probably ok.

I don't really care if the protag is male or female.

I love snark. And irony.

The book really should be well written (grammar). My grammar isn't 100% and I don't expect grammar to be 100% in a book...but it'd better be close.

I don't mind books about vampires, zombies, weres, etc. as long as it's not overly cliched. I'm not really interested in reading about how the Alpha Male must Dominate the Subordinate Female simply because he's Alpha. No.

Romance (adult themes) are fine.

The last author I've read whose books I truly enjoyed was Diana Rowland. She writes the Kate Gillian and White Trash Zombie books.

I enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse novels for the most part.

I recently read the Kate Daniels novels by Ilona Andrews and although I enjoyed the premis, the actual writing was really not that great (even though the books get great reviews...just, no). Plot is kind of sloppy and way too generic. Bad guys shouldn't be bad guys simply because. They need to have a reason. This is probably why I like Diana Rowland's books so much, 'cause she really gets that.

I've read the Night Huntress novels by Jeaniene Frost and they weren't really anything to write home about. Ditto for the Anita Blake books. Black Dagger Brotherhood books are not my cup of tea - what exactly happens in those anyway? Apart from sex? Neither is the Fallen Angel series by the same author.

Please don't recommend The Hunger Games. Read it and it was too depressing for what I'm looking for.

Please send help O.o

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 8:10:36 AM PDT
I love Seanan McGuire's Verity Price series. The first book is: Discount Armageddon: Book One of InCryptid

They are full of snark.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 10:26:02 AM PDT
Anything by Brandon Sanderson is very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 12:21:59 PM PDT
LRS says:
I really loved the Urban Fantasy novel by Daniel Diehl... The Merlin Chronicles: Revelations

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:36:27 PM PDT
I am really enjoying "The Passage" by Justin Cronin.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 12:58:01 PM PDT
Seabreeze says:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, the best urban fantasy series going IMO.

The Downside series by Stacia Kane. Not sure if you will like this because the lead character is a drug addict and her boyfriend works for her drug dealer, but there is a reason for all that and she is not a bad person, also her boyfriend is a sweetheart and hot. A gritty series with a lot of gray areas.

The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriager, steampunk but with humor, vampires, werewolves and ghosts. The main character is soulless and that has a unique effect. This series is also complete, so no waiting between books.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:07:20 PM PDT
Brian says:
Piers Anthony's Xanth novels

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:28:38 PM PDT
SpoonMan09 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 3:38:08 AM PDT
For urban fantasy, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books are #1 on my list, although I didn't really get into the series until about Book 3 so don't give up on it until you've read a couple or three of them. Here's a link to the first book: Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)

Have you read Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series? I think they're among the best. Here'a a link to the first book in the series: Bitten: A Novel (Otherworld Book 1) (An Otherworld Novel)

I also like Wen Spencer's Tinker series: Tinker (Elfhome Book 1)

Also, with some reservations, I recommend Charles Stross' Merchant Princes series: The Family Trade (Merchant Princes Book 1)

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 8:15:42 AM PDT
MarciaA says:
Elle Casey! OMG I LAUGHED out LOUD reading her books "War of the Fae: Book 1, The Changelings (Volume 1)" series. Sassy, potty mouthed and fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 9:54:26 PM PDT
Tgonzales says:
The lost one by L.G. Pace Great book

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 9:55:27 PM PDT
Tgonzales says:
The Lost One (Sahae)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 1:23:44 PM PDT
Eric Livesay says:
The Nightside Series by Simon R. Green!

Fantastic series of books. And the series is done so you don't have to worry about waiting for new novels to come out.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 8:23:44 AM PDT
Karin Lib says:
I agree with the reviewers here about Jim Butcher and his Dresden books. They are great, and they have all kinds of characters: Wizards, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, etc. Butcher is why I like Urban Fantasy. His Codex Alera series is very good as well, it is what I call High Fantasy (as opposed to Urban).

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 9:13:06 AM PDT
If you haven't yet, you might have a look at Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.
Midnight Riot is the first

The author is one of the Doctor Who script writers, so he knows a bit about grammar. Highly recommended as a series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 9:46:46 AM PDT
>>he knows a bit about grammar<<

Just a bit?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 9:52:48 AM PDT
Edd says:
Try the Chronicles of the Black Company (not the kindle version tho, full of errors), Glen Cook has influenced a lot of other authors in the fantasy genre.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:14:17 AM PDT
If you have read the Jim Butcher books, maybe sample Jason E. Thummel's "The Spear of Destiny" which is similar. I thought it was great.

Charles De Lint does a lot of urban fantasy with a celtic feel as well... not sure if he's on kindle though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 8:47:45 PM PDT
I love Charles De Lint, as well. His books that are on Kindle are very pricey (or were last I looked). I have most of them in PB, so I don't think I'll be replacing them with Kindle versions any time soon (unless they drop down to a price I'm happy to pay).

I think his Newford series is especially good. He's one of the first to write in the Urban Fantasy genre, and his UF is different from a lot of what is considered UF these days. There is sometimes a bit of romance in them, but it's a thread of a larger story, not the complete focus, and you care about the characters.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 3:48:50 AM PDT
I liked De Lint's earlier stuff a lot and I'm glad he's making the transition to kindle. Just took a look and he's written a lot of books! And I agree, he has great characterizations. Just finished "Svaha"-- sorta PA story where the North America is controlled by corporations, yakuaza, or triad gangs. Dated, but I liked it. Great revenge sequence in the end.

Just thinking, Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" is a good read as well.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 3:53:34 AM PDT
I really enjoyed Neverwhere as well.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 5:59:43 AM PDT
I am another fan of Jim Butcher. You might also try the works of Rob Thurman. She has several urban fantasy series going. My favorites are the Leandros brothers books and the Trickster books. The first story in the Leandros brothers is Nightlife (Cal Leandros). The first Trixa book is Trick of the Light: A Trickster Novel.
I can also recommend the Connor Grey series, starting with Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, Book 1) and the Laura Black series, starting with Face Off, both by Mark del Franco.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:02:00 AM PDT
Maryam says:
Dresden Files.
I love Neverwhere and Good Omens, but not all Neil Gaiman.
Terry Pratchett-Discworld and Tiffany Aching series.
Not series books, but Emma Bull's War for the Oaks and Territory
Barbara Hambly's Darwath trilogy, Silicon Mage series
Not only the Black Company, but the Garrett, P. I. series by Glen Cook.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:24:05 AM PDT
Maryam says:
Also the Cold Magic/Cold Fire/Cold Steel (haven't read the last yet) by Kate Elliott.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 12:06:11 PM PDT
Puzzler says:
I'm fairly new to the urban fantasy genre, so my recommendation may be totally off base, but I've enjoyed the Mercy Thompson series and the related Alpha & Omega series from Patricia Briggs.

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)

The Alpha and Omega series actually starts with a novella included in an anthology, so what is frequently listed as the first of the series is the first BOOK, but not the start of the series, really.
On the Prowl contains the novella/prequel "Alpha and Omega". Then Cry Wolf is the first full book in the A and O series.

I also concur with the Jim Butcher Dresden books, although I'm not really comfortable with the extreme mayhem in some of them. I enjoy the characters enough that I can work myself past the mayhem.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions