Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Chuck your FAVORITE quote at me (fantasy, horror, SF)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2012 7:51:50 AM PDT
Stant Litore says:
These can be character quotes or simply quotes expressing the wonder or horror of a world. The quotes have to be from a book, not film or television (otherwise I'd just swarm you all with Firefly quotes.)

Mine today is Harry Dresden's from Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1):

"Paranoid? Maybe. But just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

All right, join in!

Let's make a gigantic quote clipboard ... a wallpaper of quotes ... a wallpaper of madness, wonder, heroism, and Gormeghastian grotesqueness! Slap your entry here. Multiple entries accepted.

Stant Litore

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 8:08:50 AM PDT
This is the one that I posted on the last "favourite quotes" thread. It has to be my favourite of all time:

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." (Robert E. Howard, "Beyond the Black River", 1935)

In fact, R.E. Howard came up with some quite good ones overall. Another I like, for instance, is:

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." (The Tower of the Elephant, 1933)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 8:20:10 AM PDT
Stant Litore says:
Agreed - Robert E. Howard is very quotable. How about "Let me drink deep while I live; I live, I slay, I burn with life."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 8:27:21 AM PDT
One of the very best, of course, is rather long, but, all the same ...

"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyberborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.

Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 8:38:28 AM PDT
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 9:26:45 AM PDT
Stant Litore says:
GREAT quotes. Love the Pratchett quote.

Two quotes from the incomparable Aral Vorkosigan in Lois McMaster Bujold's Barrayar:

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me."

and

"My home is not a place, sir. My home is people."

Stant Litore

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 12:04:03 PM PDT
Lannister says:
"So many vows... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."

A conflicted Jaime Lannister from A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin

Without wishing to spoil anything for anyone, I've always loved this whole scene between Jaime and another. It's one of my favourite parts of the whole series.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 2:37:08 PM PDT
Sandy says:
" strange adventures are dancing lessons from God!" Vonnegut(I forget which book)

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 4:06:38 PM PDT
"Vampire hunting isn't a catch and release sport" - Anita Blake.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 5:41:04 PM PDT
Vanessa C says:
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

" A Dance with Dragons"
George R.R. Martin

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 5:51:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 28, 2012 5:53:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 7:21:49 PM PDT
Tiger Lily says:
When you encounter unpleasantness from the human population, try to keep in mind that you will be able to dance on their graves long after they're dead. It's a cheering thought.
--from The Guide for the Newly Undead
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 8:43:26 PM PDT
Vanessa C says:
tiger lily... nice I like that one.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:31:01 AM PDT
Ray-Ray says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 8:29:11 AM PDT
What's that from, Ray-Ray?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 9:18:18 AM PDT
Ray-Ray says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 9:32:58 AM PDT
Great quote. I look forward to seeing it in context ...

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:47:19 AM PDT
Stant Litore says:
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." Faramir in The Lord of the Rings

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 10:23:01 AM PDT
That's a good one, Stant.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 10:53:30 AM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 12:07:18 AM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest mfer in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest mfer in the world. The position is taken.
-Snow Crash

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:24:07 AM PDT
Vanessa C says:
D. Robinson... Great post, love it.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:49:02 AM PDT
I was a Girl Scout leader for 15 years. When I read this, I laughed out loud!

"It reminded me in an odd way of the time I'd had to take over my sister's Girl Scout troop when my mother had been sick. Fourteen preteen girls, a tableful of werewolves - there were certain monstrous similarities." --Patricia Briggs from the book Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Bk 5)

- posted by Poore Richard's wyfe

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 1:04:20 PM PDT
Vanessa C says:
P R wyfe... I forgot about that line, It's a good one.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:07:32 PM PDT
Ooo some crackers here. Alright then. Try these.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
― Terry Pratchett, Diggers

And

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."
― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

AND...

"Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."
― Terry Pratchett

cheers

MTM
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions