Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Book Blogs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 6:45:04 PM PST
Brian says:
Research question-How many of you buy a book based on book blogs you follow? And those that do, do you prefer an interview with the author, a post by author, or a review of his/her work?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:22:27 AM PST
I prefer posts by authors. Reviews by trusted sources are also helpful, but not those from unknown sources because so many are fake. I seldom read the interviews with authors.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:46:27 PM PST
I like Smexybooks. Usually review the kinds of books I like.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 2:22:24 PM PST
I actually read a lot of author's blogs and when they recommend something I tend to check it out. I will say I have just started to get into the book review blogs, though.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:50:44 PM PST
Brian says:
Would you rather hear about the books an author has written or about his/her personal experiences?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:32:57 AM PST
Kribu says:
I occasionally look at some general review blogs just to see what's out there. Blogger reviews do sometimes get me interested in a book.

I only - ONLY - care about author interviews if it's a book I've already read and enjoyed; I only care about author blogs if it's an author who is among my absolute top favourites and one whose new books I'm looking forward to eagerly.

I have absolutely no interest in new-to-me author interviews or blogs and I would never buy a book based on those, regardless of whether it's the author singing the praises of their new book (I should hope they find the book interesting; if even the author didn't like it, it would be quite sad) or talking about their personal life (if it's an author I don't know, why should I care?).

(I mostly buy new books based on genre recs by various bloggers (in that they help me put together a list of books in the genre I'm interested in, after which I can go to e.g. Amazon and check out the descriptions to see if they sound interesting); recs from friends and people with similar tastes as me; new books by authors I've read and enjoyed before; new books in series I've read and enjoyed and am already following.)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:36:40 AM PST
depends on the blogger - I have several that I follow and haven' learnt to trust their reviews - but I don't just pick up any book because it has been on someones' blog -

If its a new to me blog, I tend to go back and look at how they rate/review books - for example if they only post positive reviews, I am going to be less likely to pick up a book recommended by them - because I have no measuring stick for what they consider bad

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:11:16 AM PST
Personally, I don't like author interviews. I don't find them interesting or helpful. Most authors have fairly boring lives - I, too, have a fairly boring life. People with boring lives give boring interviews. This is not a perjorative, since in my opinion, the world would be a better place if people had generally boring lives. But, they don't provide interesting reading, and most author discussions about where their character came from, what it's like to be a writer, and the like, are absurdly self-referential and inane.

I do, however, love book blogs. Mostly, I love them for the conversation. I find what other people read, and what they thought of what they read, to be infinitely interesting. I like to read about what other readers thought about books I loved and books I hated. I have several blogs that I follow and I enjoy the conversation that they inspire, they get me thinking about books and reading outside my comfort zone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:39:39 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Somewhere, in the gloaming of the infinite beyond, Hunter S. Thompson is wagging a skeletal fist at you and sporting an acerbic smile.

Otherwise, I would tend to agree with you about author interviews.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:34:09 AM PST
Brian says:
Aside from your friends, where do you get most of your recommendation?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:00:25 PM PST
From my friends. ;)

Actually, in all seriousness, I buy my books through a complicated process of browsing, talking to friends, being involved in goodreads groups, reading blogs, reading the forums, browsing some more, keeping up on publishing news, reading more blogs, googling, and just generally reading a huge volume of material. By the time I actually buy a book, I know that I want to read it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions