Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

To Be Read List 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 8:35:53 PM PST
What is on your tbr list for 2013?

Off the top of my head, the latest from Ilona Andrews, Cormorant by Chuck Wendig, the second Cora Oglesby book by Lee Collins. I can't remember if Jaye Wells new series is out in '13. Also I need to catch upon a big pile of books.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:55:10 PM PST
I just picked up Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold and I still have The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss waiting for me...as a start.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:55:47 PM PST
I still need to read those too. I' m also looking forward to Hulick' s next Kin book. I just need more hours in the day for reading.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:09:49 AM PST
Kribu says:
The current fantasy-related (speculative fiction / urban fantasy, YA or adult) pre-orders on my list include:

The Mad Scientist's Daughter (although this sounds more science fiction than fantasy)
House Rules: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (I was somewhat disappointed in the latest book but I'm not going to give up just yet simply because one book in the series was weaker)
The Maleficent Seven (From the World of Skulduggery Pleasant)
Grave Visions: An Alex Craft Novel (Alex Craft Series Book 4)

In addition to those, I'm most looking forward to the as-yet unnamed eighth Skulduggery Pleasant book by Derek Landy, The House of Hades by Rick Riordan, Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles Book 2) by Marissa Meyer, Midnight Frost (The Mythos Academy) by Jennifer Estep (all of these are YA), Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych) by Ian Tregillis (well, probably - I haven't read the second book in the trilogy yet, although I have it), Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid) by Seanan McGuire, Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch (the fourth in the Rivers of London series) and... probably a few others I can't think of right now.

I've started a bunch of urban fantasy series I intend to continue with but so far I'm only one or two books into most of them, so the coming year's releases in those series aren't something I'm very up to date with or interested in, yet.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 5:21:47 PM PST
Always and Forever (Secrets of Shadow Hill), Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices) and all the books of her series.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:58:50 AM PST
I have a few books I've promised to read, but once I'm finished, I think I'd like to re-read the Foundation Series-Isaac Asimov. I know it's sci-fi, not fantasy, but I loved those books nearly as much as LOTR.
And though it may not seem exciting to re-read a book, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:07:00 AM PST
D. Pickle says:
B Anderson - I think it's a great idea to re-read favorites. I find that I pick up on so much more the second time around because I'm not so busy trying to find out what happens next and reading too fast. In fact, I'm planning on reading LOTR again and HP.
Thanks for the rec on the Foundation Series by I Asimov. I used to read a good bit of sci-fi. But I was such a kid back then that I don't remember the name of the author or hardly anything about the books. I just know I really enjoyed them. I did read Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter books and loved them!!!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:39:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 7:40:12 AM PST
Too many books on my TBR pile.

I also have Best Served Cold and The Name of the Wind waiting to be read. I want to try some Jack Vance and I have the 1st two books of The Chronicles of Amber as audio books.

And finally, I'm hoping to continue with Erickson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen series (two books into it).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:50:40 AM PST
Captain says:
I spent much of 2012 reading Jack Vance's books for the first time. I thought Planet of Adventure was the best followed closely by the Demon Princes books.

Malazan just gets better and better as you go along, and now being completed is a big plus.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:20:51 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2013 5:04:58 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:14:07 AM PST
David Fuller says:
Peter Brett has the third book in his demon cycle series that started with the warded man. Definitely something I've been awaiting for quite som time. Also I hope to see the second ravens shadow book. It was a huge surprise that this indie book was as good as it was

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 2:19:22 PM PST
Let's see I'm really looking forward to the new one from Jenna Black, Rogue Descendent, and the newest by Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs. In reality there are so many coming out this year that I can't even get started with listing them:)

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 3:05:24 PM PST
Marc Iverson says:
Lord of the Rings
a few critical and biographical books on The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
The Chrestomanci series and the Howl's Moving Castle and Castle of the Winds doublet by Diana Wynne-Jones
Wool Omnibus
The series that starts with, I think, The Knife of Never Letting Go
The Lightning Thief
The Giver and other Lois Lowry
The Marvelous Land of the Snergs
The Princess and the Goblin

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 7:48:50 PM PST
A few Terry Goodkind books-(I'm probably the only living fantasy writer who has never read his work)
The final Wheel of Time novel (can't recall the name)
I want to finish Game of Thrones (I keep getting side tracked, but I really liked what I've read so far)
If I get that much pleasure reading done this year I'll be thrilled

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:42:25 AM PST
K. McNamara says:
On my pre-order list:
Patricia Brigg's next Mercy novel
Guy Gavriel Kay's River of Stars - I love his writing and his world building.
C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series #14: Protector (I think people who love Miles would also love Bren Cameron, although Bren isn't quite as manic)

Things I will pre-order as soon as they are listed:
The next Patrick Rothfuss
The next in Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantara series
The next in Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series
Anything by Bujold

What I'll be reading in the meantime:
Rereading the Foreigner series
Reading lots of middle school fantasy/fiction - Brandon Mull's Fablehaven / Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 1:59:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 5:26:19 PM PST
ToonForever says:
I plan to get caught up with and finish the Wheel of Time series once A Memory of Light comes out on Kindle

I may give Lord of the Rings a reread. It's been a few years now.

Other first time reads for me:

The Deed of Paksenarrion - finally! Nearly done with the audio version of Sheepfarmer's Daughter.
The Chronicles of Lon Tobyn by David B. Coe
The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
The Hidden Queen and Changer of Days by Alma Alexander

Then we'll just have to see :)

Edit: Almost forgot - I have Joe Abercrombie's First Law series to read this year too :)

Edit 2: And Rothfuss's books. *Sigh* - I'll have to quit my job to read everything. That ain't happening! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions