Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Advice for self-promo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 10:22:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 10:31:34 AM PST
Brian says:
I have seen so many authors attempting to promote in this forum, as well as complaints from readers that I am compelled to create this thread. My internet is down from Sandy so I'm writing on my phone. Please overlook any errors. I know many new authors are desperate to get the word out about their work, and this is why you post here. You should stop. This is not a good forum for that.
Most posters here are avid readers and know the other posters, so it's easy for them to sniff you out. All you do is anger them and insure they'll never buy your book. There are much better ways to accomplish you goal. Recently, I have had some success as an author, and have been looking for a way to give back. Good karma can go a long way. I won't say who I am, but I promise I know
what I'm talking about. If you're interested, let me know. I want nothing in return, only to help like I was helped. Also, if you have ideas, why not leave them on this thread?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:15:31 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Bumping up as this a critical message.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:32:42 AM PST
Needs another bump, I'd say!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:09:13 PM PST
Ian Fraser says:
Heh, I was swooping in to recce the forum with an eye to self-promo. I now consider myself duly warned :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:04:21 PM PST
M. Carole says:
Someone will have to bump it once daily. Maybe twice.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:29:51 PM PST
Brian says:
Book clubs and fantasy discussion sites are wonderful. They usually don't mind if you do some promo. Most have a section for it. Unlike amazon's meet the author, members often check it out. You must be careful though. If all you do is self promo, you'll either be kicked out or ignored. It's important to take part in the discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:21:03 PM PST
Will Wilson says:
B. Anderson, Interested. Please elaborate.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:44:16 AM PST
Brian says:
Damn, I hate typing on a phone. Anyway, as I mentioned book clubs and discussion group are great. Just add to the threads as well as self-promo. Another things is to go on a blog tour. This is when intetview,guest post, and get blogger reviews. It not easy to set them up, and you could fork out a few buck to have it done for you, but you get 20-30 days in a row of exposure. I tell more later. No more phone typing.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:43:55 AM PST
Brian says:
Get grass roots, get your local media involved, get your hometown people involved so they can do your marketing for you. Newspapers and local cable access are wonderful tools. Forget other writers. They can be great friends but our of little use as marketing tools. Now we come to book reviews. Reviews are the most important thing you can acquire. how to get some how to get somebody to review your book. I am sorry but there is no way around this. You will send your book to 100 reviewers and only get a few reviews.Still and well worth the effort it tak and well worth the effort it takes to get it. I sto I stop typing and voic voice texting so if t that is the reaso.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions