Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

A Wonderful Escape From All The Madness

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:58:23 AM PST
That's what I understood you to mean; but I can see why others interpreted it differently. Good luck with the babysitting! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:38:39 PM PST
UBU says:
Right? I honestly wouldn't have paid attention, until I noticed that Party Planner reviewed one of his books. Since I was suspicious of Party Planner, I just took a quick look at Bobby Craton's reviews, and, surprise! Review swapping.

So, thanks Party Planner, your spamming revealed several unethical authors.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:03:01 PM PST
@ Holiday mayhem. That's what I meant. An indy writer only has a few markets available...amazon being the main one. Reviews can make the difference between success and failure in a big hurry. It's what tempts so many writers to forge them. After nearly 100 combined, I still tense up when I see I have a new one.
Also, I always suspect fake reviews when a book is only out a week or so, and they have more than 10. Most people don't take the time to write a review. For every 1000 books sold you may get 5-10...if that.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:37:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 6:42:45 PM PST
Hell, I'm still shaking out the cobwebs and going back over things I wrote.I'm almost afraid to look. I'm too old to be a babysitter....Oh, and in addition to the baby, we had 4 others here. 5, 4, 2, and mine, 9. My niece and her husband had a birthday, and guess what?Good ol' uncle Brian saves the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:25:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 6:25:55 PM PST
I read that to mean that if the author isn't nervous about getting a new review BEFORE they look @ it, then it is probably fake. Since they don't have to question whether it will be good or ... Not.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:55:58 PM PST
Oh, and if anything I posted didn't make good sense...sorry. I had been up watching my nieces infant daughter, since 3am. She just wouldn't stop crying. Fueled on nothing but coffee and the wails of a baby, one tends to wander.
I just meant that, if you don't worry if a review will be good or bad, then you probably already know it's outcome. The only time I've ever known what a review would say, was when a blogger reviewed me and then posted the review on amazon.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:44:49 PM PST
No. If they don't make you nervous....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:10:49 PM PST
G. says:
So, if the review isn't "good", it is fake? Heh? Actually, most readers are pretty astute when it comes to figuring out that a new SPA author with all "5" star reviews, is probably playing the system. I hope you didn't mean to suggest that any negative review must be false? If that is your take, then you are going to be VERY disappointed; not even your best-selling author has all positive reviews. Many SPAs (KDP forum) seem to believe that any review other then a stellar 4-5 star review, is a "troll" review". Reality:people may not like your book, your book may be so bereft of editing that it disgusts readers, your book may not appeal to a reader. These things are serious to your regular reader. These aren't "troll" reviews, just regular reader reviews. Reviews are FOR READERS, not for authors. Period.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:21:21 AM PST
??? huh???

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:02:00 AM PST
I would like to add, reviews are nerve wracking. You see you have a new one, and you hope it's good. If that's not the case, then you probably ARE getting fake reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:22:35 AM PST
No kidding. It much harder than you think to get reviews. I sent 1000's of emails to 1000's of book bloggers, spending hours online searching the web for them, when I first got started, just to get a few of them to read and review my work.
It hard just to get people to read it, let alone review it, especially when you're unknown. I can understand the temptation to take a short-cut, but I must say that I'm glad I did it the old fashioned way.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:33:39 AM PST
I was fooled. 23 reviews seemed too many to be fake. That's one persistent review swapper.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:23:59 PM PST
Damn...23? I don't even know that many other authors. I thought I was pretty good at networking...wrong!
You're right, however. He shouldn't have done that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:58:00 PM PST
UBU says:
I don't think Bobby Craton, the reviewer with 23 reviews is legitimate. All the books he reviewed were for authors who also reviewed his book. Surprisingly, everybody in this author review ring got 5 stars.

Definitely looks like review swapping. This is why it's really not a good idea for these authors to come in here and spam. It puts the spotlight on them, and usually doesn't look too good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:25:26 AM PST
You really can't until they reach a number beyond most authors ability to fake-15-20 in my opinion. That's why the "look inside" feature is so useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:17:02 AM PST
Party planner's post looks like spam and when you look at her reviews of other books, they all mention how wonderful "Witch Lessons" is --- looks like an author creating an account to promote her own book. That is probably why the reviews on the book are in question. How can you trust they are valid?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:21 AM PST
The first time I got a bad review I wanted to think someone had it in for me, but that just wasn't true. The truth is that people feel strongly about the books they take time to read. An avid reader of fiction uses books to escape their normal lives, and do not like to be disappointed. I have a few "enemies" out there, but as far as I know they take their dislike for me out on facebook and blogs, if at all.
Even if someone had a grudge against a writer, one bad review and some comments will not have an impact. If that were the case, there would be a grand total of zero books being bought. I mean face it. Even Tolkien gets bad reviews.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:41:41 AM PST
If one examines Party Planner's reviews, all becomes clear. Probably a few folks now assume the good reviews for the book aren't "real". That would be my guess, anyway.

Reading the sample was all I needed to make my decision--I believe that's the best way to decide whether to purchase a book or not. I wish authors would realize that underhanded sales tactics simply don't work. :-P

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:45:55 AM PST
Archer,
I was actually ignoring the comments of StriderNeo15 and looking at the reviews of Witch Lessons, which has 5 reviews (three five star and two four star) and they all have two or three negative votes with no positive votes. It struck me as odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:39:23 PM PST
I think the above poster is referring to "Party Planner's" reviews. The reason for the comment will become apparent if you check them out.
:-P

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:16:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:17:42 PM PST
I looked up Witch Lessons and noticed that someone doesn't like the reviews. One of the reviewers wrote 23 reviews, which suggests that reviewer is legitimate. Does someone have a grudge against the author?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:27:34 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I love your reviews.

Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 11:52:20 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2012 2:09:50 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions